If the Sun expolodes now

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
Would we hear the explosion sound , or the fire and other stuff from the Sun would terminate us before we hear that sound ?

I think I've posted just in time to be able to have posted if the sun blew up at the second you posted the thread.

I'm guessing you would see an intense increase in light output for a short while before the shockwave hit and destroyed the side of there earth facing the sun then the heat would transmit to the other side in a few hours and roast it as well.

The only sound would be from those effects hitting our atmosphere, no sound would transmit though space without a medium for it to transmit though like air and water on earth.

It is actually possible we could see Betelgeuse(Orion's shoulder star) go supernova in our lifetimes although its too far away to be a danger I believe, it would be more turning into a super bright star you might even be able to see in the day for a few months.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you would see an intense increase in light output for a short while before the shockwave hit and destroyed the side of there earth facing the sun then the heat would transmit to the other side in a few hours and roast it as well.

The only sound would be from those effects hitting our atmosphere, no sound would transmit though space without a medium for it to transmit though like air and water on earth.

It is actually possible we could see Betelgeuse(Orion's shoulder star) go supernova in our lifetimes although its too far away to be a danger I believe, it would be more turning into a super bright star you might even be able to see in the day for a few months.
Makes sense.

Theoretically nothing travels faster than light and big boom on a star level probably means bright flash.

Then it would just be a matter or whether imminent death travels faster than the speed of sound. I don't know the speed of imminent death off the top of my head.

But my guess is it would go:
big bright flash, oh shit, dead.

We would see the flash of the explosion around 8 minutes after it happened as the radiation from the event travels at us at the speed of light. There would probably enough energy in that to strip off the atmosphere and boil away the oceans. The material from the explosion, the blast front, would be similar to a coronal mass ejection, just you know all the mass at once, those usually take a few days to reach the Earth. Once that hits, maybe the core would survive, but I'd think most of the planet would be rendered back into space dust.

We might owe our existence to supernova as well, one supposedly went of 2.5 million years ago close enough to rain iron isotopes on earth and may have helped kick off the ice age were now in which helped humans evolve.

My son blows up the bathroom every day.

Light a match, Junior!

mel-gibson-give-me-back-my-son.gif

We would see the flash of the explosion around 8 minutes after it happened as the radiation from the event travels at us at the speed of light. There would probably enough energy in that to strip off the atmosphere and boil away the oceans. The material from the explosion, the blast front, would be similar to a coronal mass ejection, just you know all the mass at once, those usually take a few days to reach the Earth. Once that hits, maybe the core would survive, but I'd think most of the planet would be rendered back into space dust.
Would the radiation actually get here at the speed of light?

The photons travel at speed of light because they have no mass.

It depends.

Unfortunately the scientists who first discovered radioactivity places different phenomena in the same basket.

Gamma rays and X rays are forms of electromagnetic radiations while alpha and beta rays are particules with mass, helium nuclei for alpha radiation, and electrons or positrons for beta rays. Since those particles have a mass they cannot reach the speed of light in a vacuum

Usually the expression speed of light is shorthand for the speed of light in a vacuum as light interacts with matter

Gamma rays and X rays are forms of electromagnetic radiations and like the other forms like light and radio waves they will, in a vacuum, travel at the speed of light in a vacuum. But when electromagnetic radiations travel through a medium they interact with that medium and travel at a slower speed that is affected by the wave length of the radiation. So red light doesn’t travel at the same speed as blue light in water and the same would be true of gamma radiation.

(source Quora debate on if all radiation travels at the speed of light)

If I am reading that right it seems that electromagnetic radiation in a vacuum travels at the speed of light.

Space is not entirely a vacuum and the atmosphere of earth is definitely not a vacuum.

What is radiation?
Is it a series of reactions of energy/heat transferring?
Is it a wave?

Does it involve any matter or anything that would be slowed by the material it moves through?
(Even light slows down when traveling through water iirc)

Someone post a pic of how small our Sun is compared to those monster stars of mass

While the Sun is nothing compared to the biggest stars it is well within the top 10% of biggest stars. Theres a shitton of bigger stars but weaker stars are far more common.

So is this, like, something that could affect my property values, or something?

Back