If MMA made it into the Olympics...

imagesmb

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What refs do you think would be picked for the games?

being the Olympics, it would have to be a hodgepodge from all over the world....and that scares me.

Thankfully MMA isn't going to be in the Olympics any time soon.

Cecil Peoples and a blindfolded Mazzagatti.

I sincerely hope MMA does not approach the Olympics for entry.
I admired the older ethics if amateur athletes performing on a collective world stage but today that is few and far between.
Maybe an amateur agreed rule set could benefit from the exposure but certainly not pro Unified Rules.

I'm not quite certain but I believe that Judo bent over for things like "world governing bodies", including Olympic councils and is now a watered down disgrace of its true form.

Olympics does well for simpler sports but not complex sports with multiple rule sets.

The market is over saturated as it is right now; getting it in the Olympics too would only over saturate more than it currently is.

Mma will never be an Olympic sports. It's just the nature of the beast.

No way in hell mma fighters will complete as often as Olympic boxing for example. They will get injured far too often.

Also. Many mma orgs have different rules. There will need to be a body that makes a set of rules across the board.

Also. Mma is young af. How many countries would truly compete in Olympic mma? USA, Brazil, Russia, maybe Japan, Canada and some European countries?

Lastly. Do you actually think mma orgs will let their best (and often biggest) stars fight at the olympics? As highlighted above, risk of injury is far far greater than basically any other sport. No way Dana let's Conor fight for Ireland. Aldo fight for Brazil, ect ect. It's all risk no reward for the companies.

Some obstacles stated are able to be fixed. Others are just the nature of the beast imo

winslowlightning_zpsvaudukto.gif

Wouldnt work even if they outlawed elbows and used headgear

I won't say that it will NEVER be in the Olympics, but it won't be in the Olympic in my lifetime, and I plan on living another 50-60 years.

There are already mixed martial arts in the Olympics: judo, boxing, wrestling and tae kwon do.

I'm happy for that, but I still stand by my claim that the ufc won't let their biggest stars compete for their countries in the olympics.

I'm sure they would let their young up and comers from foreign countries go fight. It would be free publicity and would help them expand in those countries. I just don't think their biggest fighters will go fight.

I'd love to eat crow tho. Mma in the olympics would be huge.

Even if MMA is allowed in the olympics, none of the pros should be allowed to participate. They must keep it amateur, like boxing, and then the winners are the next prospects and future world champions.

I'm happy for that, but I still stand by my claim that the ufc won't let their biggest stars compete for their countries in the olympics.

I'm sure they would let their young up and comers from foreign countries go fight. It would be free publicity and would help them expand in those countries. I just don't think their biggest fighters will go fight.

I'd love to eat crow tho. Mma in the olympics would be huge.
And when BFC, ONEFC, and WSoF fighters beat their fighters how would they look?

No way in hell mma fighters will complete as often as Olympic boxing for example. They will get injured far too often.

Also. Many mma orgs have different rules. There will need to be a body that makes a set of rules across the board.

Also. Mma is young af. How many countries would truly compete in Olympic mma? USA, Brazil, Russia, maybe Japan, Canada and some European countries?

Lastly. Do you actually think mma orgs will let their best (and often biggest) stars fight at the olympics? As highlighted above, risk of injury is far far greater than basically any other sport. No way Dana let's Conor fight for Ireland. Aldo fight for Brazil, ect ect. It's all risk no reward for the companies.

Some obstacles stated are able to be fixed. Others are just the nature of the beast imo

Isn't the Olympics mostly sports nobody cares about except during the Olympics? I think MMA more than meets the popularity threshold.

Maybe the people who take MMA so serious as sport will cream in their jimmies, and maybe just then they can have some merit when they try to shit on anything entertainment based, and as they keep modifying rules, and watering it down so it meets the criteria of the Olympics standards - head gear, shin guards etc. etc.

Then maybe they will just be better off watching Amateur wrestling minus the Boxing/Kickboxing like we pretty much see in UFC today... I guess that's if MMA did infact make it into the Olympics.

But the short and sweet answer is... It will not happen because MMA is seen as a repulsive, barbaric, dirty and classless human cockfight.

Combat Sambo tournaments have proven that Olympic style MMA not only works but works great

All they need to do is to take the combat Sambo ruleset and modify it a little bit and they get instant olympic MMA

bring in 5 weight divisions for men and women and you have your nice little Olympic sport

It would make MMA a bigger deal than any of the retarded things Dana and Co have been doing

This is exactly how I feel. Getting every country to agree on rules, when Japan allows soccer kicks and every state in the United States feels completely different on amateur rules, would be a Martian Cluster F****.

What would end up happening is the the Olympic Committee (or council, or chess playing robot) would agree upon rules that would take every country's rules into consideration, and we'd get a tremendous bastardization that hardly resembles MMA at all.

Isn't the Olympics mostly sports nobody cares about except during the Olympics? I think MMA more than meets the popularity threshold.

You have a point, but there are tons of other obstacles in the way as well.

I mean think about it, mma just got legalized in NY...

I truly hope we see mma in the olympics. Real mma, not no bs

I truly hope we see mma in the olympics. Real mma, not no bs

Its the olympics.....it doesn't even have 'real' judo based on the limited rule set. IF MMA somehow ever made its way to the olympics it would be 3x3 min rounds, headgear and shinguards, no elbows, no cranks, etc.

Back