"If I have chance to take Judo Olympic gold medal or Freestyle?...please, Judo"- Khabib

The Gentle way is easily my favourite Martial Art to train. And in Real life situations is 100% my go to response to pretty much any violent confrontation when on the job. Nothing else comes remotely close to Judo’s effectiveness in dealing with an aggressor.

Wrestling, BJJ and striking bases leave to many openings for attack by others while you are engaged. A swift Angled hip throw into the ground sucks the fight out of anyone (A well placed headbutt does the same thing but it can backfire pretty badly if you hit it wrong lol) and rarely leaves you exposed for retaliation.

For a sport like MMA Judo also has its applications and uses. But as a base I would say wrestling is better.

Holly outgrappled Ronda after lije one intensive wrestlng camp with Izzy Martinez. Tied up with multiple times. Scooped her up and dumped her.

I dont wanna argue with you. But Holly did not out grapple Rhonda she out muscled her. (I dislike Rhonda and love Holly). Snorlax was not prepared for Holly’s strength.

This is why he dominated US based wrestlers easily.

He did not fight any accomplished US based wrestlers.

Abel Trujillio - NAIA wrestling (third tier, non-competitive)
Healy - Division II, no records, 29-17 MMA when they fought, completed career at 34-24
Johnson - Community College wrestling, 9 MMA submission losses
LaQuinta - High school wrestler, brief Community College wrestler of no note
Gaethje - Division I All American in 2010, 7th place

Geathje is the only amateur wrestler that even wrestled in Division I, the rest are the equivalent of regional MMA.

He was an All American one single year with a 7th place finish - for those who are not aware, that is the second to last place you can finish and be awarded "All American," e.g. 1-8th place in your weight division.

Justin basically tripped into his position in one year out of his 3 years of eligibility, as a senior going 17-8. By UFC standards he does not have an impressive amateur wrestling career, and probably wouldn't be considered among the top 50 wrestlers of his generation of fighters.

He also absolutely sucks on the mat and is a terrible MMA adapted grappler. Before fighting Khabib, the two best UFC fighters he fought both knocked him out, and unsurprisingly Do Bronx knocked him down and tapped him in the very first round.

JG has a 5-4 UFC record, being put away all four times. Fun fighter, not elite and certainly not an elite USA wrestler.

I dont wanna argue with you. But Holly did not out grapple Rhonda she out muscled her. (I dislike Rhonda and love Holly). Snorlax was not prepared for Holly’s strength.

Then don't say something dumb like that if you don't wanna argue.

Ronda was 154 pounds in the olympics and 145 to start her mma career.

Holly outgrappled her.

Healy - Division II, no records, 29-17 MMA when they fought, completed career at 34-24

Geathje is the only amateur wrestler that even wrestled in Division I, the rest are the equivalent of regional MMA.

He was an All American one single year with a 7th place finish - for those who are not aware, that is the second to last place you can finish and be awarded "All American," e.g. 1-8th place in your weight division.

Justin basically tripped into his position in one year out of his 3 years of eligibility, as a senior going 17-8. By UFC standards he does not have an impressive amateur wrestling career, and probably wouldn't be considered among the top 50 wrestlers of his generation of fighters.

He also absolutely sucks on the mat and is a terrible MMA adapted grappler. Before fighting Khabib, the two best UFC fighters he fought both knocked him out, and unsurprisingly Do Bronx knocked him down and tapped him in the very first round.

JG has a 5-4 UFC record, being put away all four times. Fun fighter, not elite and certainly not an elite USA wrestler.
Gaethje is 6-4 but the rest still stands

Then don't say something dumb like that if you don't wanna argue.

Ronda was 154 pounds in the olympics and 145 to start her mma career.

Holly outgrappled her.

Bro re-watch it. Holly did not out grapple her. She outmuscled her. You clearly dont train at all. Smdh

Tibau was actually the closesr thing to a really good wrestler he ever faced

Watch his fights, Judo and Sambo helped, but he won because of wrestling lol

Judo can work as a cherry on top of your game, but if you only have Judo it won't work at a high level... but on the other hand, there are plenty of guys who have only wrestled and never done Judo that are successful

Watch his fights, Judo and Sambo helped, but he won because of wrestling lol

Judo can work as a cherry on top of your game, but if you only have Judo it won't work at a high level... but on the other hand, there are plenty of guys who have only wrestled and never done Judo that are successful

i was legit intrigued for karo-hughes

Bro re-watch it. Holly did not out grapple her. She outmuscled her. You clearly dont train at all. Smdh

Honestly as well I questiom how much Roosuey was really trying to grapple in that fight, she tried in when she ended up in the clinch but really she seemed more focused on trying to out strike Holm to me.

Significant shift from early Rousey who tended to use striking as just a cover to get into the clinch.

It's strange that Khabib is repackaged as a 'wrestler' in the US when he considers himself a Samboist and Judoka and this was the bulk of his training.

Detailed Khabib Judo breakdown.

This is why he dominated US based wrestlers easily.

That's because no one else is familiar with Sambo. They bunch up Khabib in with Wrestling and BJJ when he's Sambo. Which is heavily Judo influenced and uses Judo techniques. He literally wore a shirt to the weigh-ins that said "If SAMBO was easy it would be called jiu-jitsu" when he fought a BJJ fighter. That was him early on trying to say Sambo is better than the other grappling arts.

That's because no one else is familiar with Sambo. They bunch up Khabib in with Wrestling and BJJ when he's Sambo. Which is heavily Judo influenced and uses Judo techniques. He literally wore a shirt to the weigh-ins that said "If SAMBO was easy it would be called jiu-jitsu" when he fought a BJJ fighter. That was him early on trying to say Sambo is better than the other grappling arts.

Khabib is a wrestler

He trained at AKA for a reason.

His training partners were Ed Ruth, Shawn Bunch, etc.

He's not pure Sambo, he was exposed to high level wrestling, judo, and sambo from an early age which is why he's so amazing

But if you take wrestling out of the equation, he wouldn't have been Khabib... without the ability to shoot, people will just disengage the clinch and all your Judo is thrown out the window. And that's just one reason you NEED wrestling to be an effective grappler at the highest level.

How many judoka based champs have we had in the UFC vs wrestlers?
Oh, that's right...

View attachment 926640

https://www.vividseats.com/blog/ufc-champions-fighting-style
Judo by itself is limited, it needs to be mixed in to complete it. Just like BJJ without wrestling is limited. Just like Wrestling without BJJ is limited. The reason Islam and Khabib have so much success is because their grappling style isn't just pure wrestling or pure BJJ. That's why most wrestlers/grapplers have a hard time with their style, it's different than what they've trained and different from other grapplers they fight. Primarily the difference is the Judo elements from their Sambo background. That is main difference in their styles. They aren't just looking for singles and doubles like most wrestlers do. Their takedowns are all different, their set ups/trips are all different, their grips are all different, their leverage is all different, etc.

Also, judo throws/trips are extremely energy-efficient as opposed to wrestling's which can be very taxing on the fighter's cardio. This comes in handy in later rounds when a fighter wants to take it to the mat without expending loads of energy.
This. Judo you learn to use your opponents momentum/movement/force against them. In wrestling you force it with your strength/muscles.

Khabib is a wrestler

He trained at AKA for a reason.

His training partners were Ed Ruth, Shawn Bunch, etc.
He trained at AKA because other Dagestanis were already training there. Khabib spent his whole life training Sambo already. He went there for striking training and sparring partners. They aren't teaching him western wrestling, Khabib and them are showing them Sambo. His main coach was always his Father. "Father's Plan". This is why Javier always says Khabib doesn't listen to him during fights.

He's not pure Sambo, he was exposed to high level wrestling, judo, and sambo from an early age which is why he's so amazing

But if you take wrestling out of the equation, he wouldn't have been Khabib... without the ability to shoot, people will just disengage the clinch and all your Judo is thrown out the window. And that's just one reason you NEED wrestling to be an effective grappler at the highest level.
He's exposed to wrestling. My point was he isn't a pure wrestler like how other wrestlers view him. He isn't the same type of wrestler like the collegiate wrestlers, he's completely different than those type of wrestlers.

Yes that is my point, he is effective because his style of grappling covers all grounds that other specialized grapplers (pure wrestling/bjj) are lacking.

Back