If current top contenders got the khabib treatment

perhaps. but we all know conor was gifted the title shot.

passed tony up somehow, tony has a proven track record at lw. colin did not.

imo tony is a much more difficult matchup for kaboob, or anyone for that matter, than colin.
tony wasnt the guy in line for a title shot at the time. it was khabib. he was ahead of tony in the rankings and got a fake contract to top it off. khabib was always one step closer than tony to the title.

two things completely unrelated.
Khabib fighting AI was to save a card and get a title shot with a new opponent last second.
And like I said, not many top contenders would take that chance and fight a guy like AI for the belt without any training (for that specific opponent).
Khabib did.
Then he fought the old champion in an "belt unification".

The fight post event has nothing to do with the above, but also has something to do with the fact the UFC allowed COnor to do so much (in terms of disrespect towards his opponents), add the Bus attack in NY (where COnor got absolutely no punishment for it) and you can get why Khabib went overboard with this rivalry.

He was punished for that.
But that has NOTHING to do with the fact he was game and accepted 3 different opponents to save his title shot.
didnt tony turn down a fight with MJ off the fking couch when khabib pulled out? i mean MJ didnt even have a training camp at the time like Al did.

Sorry, but that's BS.
Conor got nothing for his attack.
And let us not forget the famous clause in their UFC contract where UFC could have punished him as well, and chose not to.

Beyond that, we have no clue if this is just a way for Khabib to pressure UFC to pay more for his next fight.
After all, they paid millions for COnor fight, he obviously won't accept peanuts now. So they are both flexing their muscle. We will see where it takes us.

But let us also not forget that you may be a tad unfair to Khabib. After all, Conor fought in Boxing and was out for 2 years with the full blessing of the UFC. Why should they not allow Khabib to make his money?

Note: I do agree with you that a champion should have the obligation to defend, but I have to play devil's advocate since the UFC is the greedy fucks in the middle allowing this circus to go on as long as they make a buck (and to hell the integrity of the sport)
the bus attack and the cage jumping are two completely different things. apples and oranges.

both stupid however, it is what it is now. the problem is the self imposed 6 months.

that Floyd match made the ufc a fuck ton of money. that's why it was ok for them. I thought it was bullshit.

I can see your point on using boxing and money fights as a leverage tool for more cash.

but I thought he fought for legacy? the guy just needs to get in there and fight tony.

that's what is going to help his legacy.

and hate to say it, but I been saying it for 10 years. its not a sport. its entertainment at this point.

or sports entertainment as they say.

the problem with kabob is he is a great fighter but not entertaining, or entertaining enough for casuals.

tony wasnt the guy in line for a title shot at the time. it was khabib. he was ahead of tony in the rankings and got a fake contract to top it off. khabib was always one step closer than tony to the title.
how can that possibly be without actually fighting him to take his spot?

like I said a gift from management. that's how.

barboza was the highest ranked guy he ever fought at the time.

tony was higher in rank than him forever.

I do know the failed attempts at that fight are the cause.

its just number 1 bullshit.

didnt tony turn down a fight with MJ off the fking couch when khabib pulled out? i mean MJ didnt even have a training camp at the time like Al did.
I think so, but don't recall.
But if that is so (and I believe you that it happened), that proves my point.
AI was not a gimme fight. it was a risky fight for Khabib.
And he fought Conor, the ex champ right after.

Khabib didn't get any sweet deal. That was made because Tony got hurt.
If Tony was not injured, he would have gone through Tony (the interim champion) then COnor (the ex-champion).
That is by all means NOT a shortcut.

TS is just looking for things to bash Khabib with.

the bus attack and the cage jumping are two completely different things. apples and oranges.

both stupid however, it is what it is now. the problem is the self imposed 6 months.

that Floyd match made the ufc a fuck ton of money. that's why it was ok for them. I thought it was bullshit.

I can see your point on using boxing and money fights as a leverage tool for more cash.

but I thought he fought for legacy? the guy just needs to get in there and fight tony.

that's what is going to help his legacy.

and hate to say it, but I been saying it for 10 years. its not a sport. its entertainment at this point.

or sports entertainment as they say.

the problem with kabob is he is a great fighter but not entertaining, or entertaining enough for casuals.

Well, you can't pick both sides though.
If you want to appeal to casuals, then don't be mad because Khabib is trying what's best for his bank account.

If you want strictly the sport, then fuck what the casuals think and pay Khabib what he deserves for being an unbeaten champion, but hold him accountable for defending against the top opponents (though in this case, they attempted this fight 3, 4 times already... I would start doubting it would ever happen) :)

But at the end of the day, you can't pick both sides.

I pick the sport.
But then don't fucking open exceptions for Conor or anyone else, no matter how popular or how much money they bring to the table. (edit: Apologies for the tone I took. it was directed at the greedy fucks at the UFC, not you) ;)

Last edited:
If current champions got the Michael Bisping treatment:
- Cejudo would defend against #13 TJ Dillashaw
- TJ would defend against #13 Thomas Almeida
- Max would defend against #13 Zabit Magomedsharipov
- Khabib would defend against #13 Alexander Hernandez
- Woodley would defend against #13 Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos
- Whittaker would defend against #13 Uriah Hall
- Jon would defend against #13 Shogun Rua
- Cormier would defend against #13 Walt Harris

how can that possibly be without actually fighting him to take his spot?

like I said a gift from management. that's how.

barboza was the highest ranked guy he ever fought at the time.

tony was higher in rank than him forever.

I do know the failed attempts at that fight are the cause.

its just number 1 bullshit.
there is nothing called "take his sport". rankings mean nothing. khabib was always ahead of tony in the rankings. and has a better ufc and overall record than tony. conor > pettis, barboza = barboza, rda = rda, iaquinta > kevin lee. khabib never lost to MJ and never lost to begin with. khabib is more dominant in his performances than tony. khabib could retire today and he would always be a level above tony. khabib haters got shit twisted. tony can never be the top guy unless he beats khabib. khabib is already the top guy.

Khabib Treatment: being gifted a belt by beating the #11 ranked guy at your weight once becoming top contender.

Assuming something happened to the current champ here is what the top contenders would need to win a belt like khabib.

BW: #1Cody Garbrandt would need to beat #11 Cody Stamann
FW: #1 Brian Ortega would need to beat #11 Ricardo Lamas
LW: #1 Tony Ferguson would need to beat #11 Gregor Gillespie
WW: #1 Colby Covington would need to beat #11 Neil Magny
MW: #1 Yoel Romero would need to beat #11 David Branch
LHW: #1 Daniel Cormier would need to beat #11 Glover Texeira
HW: #1 Stipe Miocic would need to beat #11 Tai Tuivasa

{<jordan}
Dana

Book it
#1 Tony Ferguson would need to beat #11 Gregor Gillespie

Since Khabib is declining to fight

there is nothing called "take his sport". rankings mean nothing. khabib was always ahead of tony in the rankings. and has a better ufc and overall record than tony. conor > pettis, barboza = barboza, rda = rda, iaquinta > kevin lee. khabib never lost to MJ and never lost to begin with. khabib is more dominant in his performances than tony. khabib could retire today and he would always be a level above tony. khabib haters got shit twisted. tony can never be the top guy unless he beats khabib. khabib is already the top guy.
wow dangle off kabobs balls much??

Khabib Treatment: being gifted a belt by beating the #11 ranked guy at your weight once becoming top contender.

Assuming something happened to the current champ here is what the top contenders would need to win a belt like khabib.

BW: #1Cody Garbrandt would need to beat #11 Cody Stamann
FW: #1 Brian Ortega would need to beat #11 Ricardo Lamas
LW: #1 Tony Ferguson would need to beat #11 Gregor Gillespie
WW: #1 Colby Covington would need to beat #11 Neil Magny
MW: #1 Yoel Romero would need to beat #11 David Branch
LHW: #1 Daniel Cormier would need to beat #11 Glover Texeira
HW: #1 Stipe Miocic would need to beat #11 Tai Tuivasa

{<jordan}

The "11th ranked guy" was on a five fight win streak and on an 8-1 run. Clearly he should be a bit higher than 11. But he wasn't actually given that shot, he was a replacement to save the event. Typically people don't have a problem with undeserving people getting title shots this way. Also after Conor it's going to take a lot to get people pissed at someone else for not deserving a title shot at 155.

Back