If Anderson Silva was exonerated....???

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If Anderson Silva was exonerated for not knowingly taking drugs (i know i know) why he is still being ineligible to fight until November 2018, why is his 1 year provisional sentence still being reinforced despite being cleared in July.

Can anyone shed some light on this, i really don't understand why he is still restricted. Isn't that like being accused of a crime i.e. domestic violence > put into prison provisionally for 1 year (time served) > undertake due process > get cleared of all charges and still serve in prison for the rest of the provision allocated. That seems very strange to me or i am actually an idiot and missing something completely.

If you want to use the crime metaphor then its more that he got convicted of manslaughter rather than murder. Drugs were in his system but they decided it wasn't intentional.

If you want to use the crime metaphor then its more that he got convicted of manslaughter rather than murder. Drugs were in his system but they decided it wasn't intentional.
okay that sounds reasonable so does that mean your still meant to serve the provisional sentence as given by USADA in this case?

I think that the reasoning they give is "He still took them and had an unfair advantage." What I think it really is for though is that even though he submitted proof, they're still suspicious that he did it on purpose and had a scape goat.

okay that sounds reasonable so does that mean your still meant to serve the provisional sentence as given by USADA in this case?
You serve a lesser suspension yeah. The idea is that its a penalty for being irresponsible.

I think that the reasoning they give is "He still took them and had an unfair advantage." What I think it really is for though is that even though he submitted proof, they're still suspicious that he did it on purpose and had a scape goat.

And that does seem reasonable on their end, so they are still allowed to impose a sentence or reinforce an old sentence to completion then

If Anderson Silva was exonerated for not knowingly taking drugs (i know i know) why he is still being ineligible to fight until November 2018, why is his 1 year provisional sentence still being reinforced despite being cleared in July.

Can anyone shed some light on this, i really don't understand why he is still restricted. Isn't that like being accused of a crime i.e. domestic violence > put into prison provisionally for 1 year (time served) > undertake due process > get cleared of all charges and still serve in prison for the rest of the provision allocated. That seems very strange to me or i am actually an idiot and missing something completely.

Specifically its about "degree of fault"

If you intentionally take a prohibited substance your level of fault is 100%

If you take a sex pill labelled "for research only not for human consumption" purchased from a site selling PED's, your degree of fault is close to 100%

If you have a glass of water at a restaurant that is contaminated a PED then your level of fault is basically zero and you would serve no suspension.

If you take "Dr gains magic testosterone booster" and test positive your level of fault is higher than someone who took, say, Walmart vitamin b complex that was contaminated

Anderson used a supplement bought from a shady Brazilian chemist that make their own in store. He did not research it. The supplement was for instance, not batch tested by a credible body and certified, so he is considered to have some degree of fault. He got a 75% reduction in his penalty which would normally be 6 has but was doubled as a second offence

One of the questions asked in determining fault is "could the athlete reasonably have suspected that the supplement may have contained prohibited substances".

Purchasing from a chemist where the same equipment is used to measure countless medications and substances with little cleaning between runs, a supplement that was not third party tested, yes, the athlete could have reasonably suspected.

He WASN'T exonerated.

He was found guilty of having a steroid in his system.

He simply got the lesser sentence of INTENT, due to claiming he 'unknowingly' ingested said steroid in a tainted supplement.

He is still serving out a sentence for pissing hot, again.

You'd think someone who had already been caught with PEDs in their system would be a lot more careful with what they put in their body. Poor ole Anderson has the worst luck, every supplement he takes just happens to be tainted.

He WASN'T exonerated.

He was found guilty of having a steroid in his system.

He simply got the lesser sentence of INTENT, due to claiming he 'unknowingly' ingested said steroid in a tainted supplement.

He is still serving out a sentence for pissing hot, again.
USADA has effectively cleared The Spider

You're responsible for what you put in your body even if it's a bad supplement (in this case it was proven it was REALLY a bad supplement). Anderson, Cigano etc.. all had the same issue and they did not knowingly cheat but have to follow the USADA guidelines.

Wrong.

He is SUSPENDED as we speak.

But keep trying that revisionism. lol
MZ1KONt.gif

The drugs Silva got caught with were only administered via injection so Silva is full of shit .

He wasn’t exonerated he was found guilty of taking a tainted supplement and given a one year suspension.

USADA has effectively cleared The Spider

No, they didnt, some in the media reported it as "Silva Cleared" and people just read the headline and didnt actually read the content.

from USADA

Anderson Silva Accepts Sanction for Violation of UFC Anti-Doping Policy

Thats the headline, the title of the suspension notice.. Silva accepts Sanction...

They continue

USADA announced today that Anderson Silva, of Palo Verdes, Calif., has accepted a one-year sanction for his second anti-doping violation after testing positive for prohibited substances from a contaminated supplement.

Silva, 43, is the fourth athlete to accept a sanction under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy as a result of a positive test caused by the use of contaminated supplements purchased from a Brazilian compounding pharmacy. Unlike retail pharmacies and drugstores, which receive their drug inventories from commercial manufacturers, compounding pharmacies prepare their medications onsite according to specifications contained in a written prescription. In this instance, the compounding pharmacy also produced and sold nutritional supplements. Although athletes competing in the UFC are repeatedly warned that supplements are risky and frequently contain substances not listed on the label including prohibited, as well as, harmful drugs, the pharmacy that prepared Silva’s supplement marketed its products as a safe alternative to mass produced medications and supplements and also claimed to utilize manufacturing processes designed to eliminate the possibility of cross-contamination.

Silva tested positive for the methyltestosterone metabolites 17α-methyl-5β-androstan-3α,17β-diol and 17α-methyl-5α-androstan-3α,17β-diol, as well as hydrochlorothiazide, following an out-of-competition urine test conducted on October 26, 2017. Methyltestosterone is a non-Specified Substance in the class of Anabolic Agents, while hydrochlorothiazide is a Specified Substance in the class of Diuretics and Masking Agents. Both of these substances are prohibited at all times under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, which has adopted the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List.

Following notification of his positive test, Silva provided USADA with an open container of a compounded dietary supplement product he was using at the time of his positive test. Although no prohibited substances were listed on the supplement label, testing conducted by the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City confirmed the presence of methyltestosterone and hydrochlorothiazide in the product. Thereafter, in the course of its broader investigation into Brazilian compounding pharmacies, USADA independently sourced numerous supplement products from the same compounding pharmacy that prepared Silva’s contaminated supplement. The analysis of those products by the Salt Lake City laboratory confirmed that they were similarly contaminated with prohibited substances, including multiple anabolic agents and diuretics.

Under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, as well as the World Anti-Doping Code, the determination that an athlete’s positive test was caused by a contaminated product may result in a reduced sanction. In this case, the sanction length also reflects the fact that this is Silva’s second doping violation, with the first resulting from a decision by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in 2015 to suspend Silva for one year after he tested positive for multiple prohibited substances. If no reduction had been applied due to the finding that Silva’s positive test was caused by a contaminated product, the standard sanction for a second violation involving a non-Specified Substance would have resulted in a four-year period of ineligibility.#

https://ufc.usada.org/anderson-silva-accepts-doping-sanction/

Nowhere do USADA state that Anderson was cleared. Nowhere at all

Back