Idk about you but I’m ready to crown Dustin Poirier as the second greatest lightweight ever

Penn's LW resume is a joke compared to Dustin's

Who's his best win? Gomi?
The talent pool was not the same back then, but Sherk, Florian and Serra were deemed good back then. People did not know back then that they only had to bring BJ to the 3rd round to play with him.

The talent pool was not the same back then, but Sherk, Florian and Serra were deemed good back then. People did not know back then that they only had to bring BJ to the 3rd round to play with him.
Sherk and Florian would be top 15 today still. Keep in mind how badly Poirier struggled with a shot Jim Miller.

Not sure about Franki. Has Poirier ever dominated wrestlers?
His takedown defense is OK, but he has a bad habit of dropping for guillotine. So in practical terms he's not a great takedown defender.

Khabib is clearly #1. Many guys could fit at the #2 spot.
I think most would put BJ there, but Poirier competition was better for sure, so its debatable.
The biggest achievement from BJ is his first win vs Hughes, but that was at Weltherweight.
Someone could also argue for Frankie I guess....

How is Conor ahead with a whopping 1 win at LW, and effectively 2 or 3 wins at LW if we count Diaz and Cowboy?

I think you're underestimating how good those fighters are. For example, both Bendo and Edgar handily bear Jim Miller in his prime. A shot Miller nearly finished Poirier and took him to a majority decision. Poirier is am excellent fighter, but he's also inconsistent and has mediocre takedown defense.
Conor has more then one LW win ...fights outside of the ufc count as well

Conor has more then one LW win ...fights outside of the ufc count as well
Sure he does, but none of relevance? His best win in the regionals is Ivan Buchinger, and that's not a top 15 win. So why bother talking about it when discussing whether Conor has a good LW record? I don't include regional wins unless they are good fighters worth putting on a resume.

Not sure about Franki. Has Poirier ever dominated wrestlers?
Jim Miller and Jonathan Brookins. Gaethje and Alvarez are good wrestlers as well but those were stand up wars, not Poirier's fault on that though.

Dustin is no doubt one of the best fighters who's never won the real belt his resume is incredible, more so at 55 than 45, IF Dustin beats Conor then wins the belt, I could see the case but Khabib is clearly 1, BJ 2 and Bendo or Frankie 3

These aren't really good mma wrestlers. And he struggled a concerning amount against a shot Jim Miller.
Miller has always been a good wrestler mixing his BJJ in well. He's an excellent grappler and Brookins literally won TUF with his wrestling. He defeated Michael Johnson with wrestling alone.

Miller has always been a good wrestler mixing his BJJ in well. He's an excellent grappler and Brookins literally won TUF with his wrestling. He defeated Michael Johnson with wrestling alone.
Yeah, Michael Johnson isn't known for his defensive grappling really. And Miller is small. Both aren't good wrestlers by LW standards.

So they don’t fight hard unless it’s a title defence lol ....title defenses are overrated on here ....Jones beating Bader in a non title fight is more significant then him beating Chael in a title defence.......Anderson Silva beating Forest Griffin in a non title fight does more for his legacy then a title defence against Okami .....wins over quality opponents is what should be important

Okami is easily a top5 win in Silva's career

Lets have this discussion again.

If Dustin smokes conor it makes him the second best lw ever.

Top 5 implies there’s multiple people hes under...
Right? Lol who are these other 3 mythical fighters? BJ, Gomi, and Pulver? Lol, people need to move on.
Lets have this discussion again.

If Dustin smokes conor it makes him the second best lw ever.
I actually agree with you, I think he's second best right now.

Me too, both in terms of skill and accomplishes. The quality of his wins is more important than arbitrary title defenses, and indeed his quality of wins far surpasses the likes of BJ, Benson, Melendez, Ferguson, and Edgar.
{<redford}

Dude got destroyed by Khabib faster than Conor lol
AV gotta go if you're rolling with Conman.
yes I am 10

Last edited:
Back