Idiot Question On Body Fat

HevyDevyGK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where do you get your body fat measured or how do you do it? As mentioned idiot question so I do apologise

HevyDevyGK said:
Where do you get your body fat measured or how do you do it? As mentioned idiot question so I do apologise

If you buy a scale don't get anything but Tanita. I recommend the Ironman series.

As for "where", literally, you can have it done at your doctor's or physical therapist's. If you go to a nutrition center (the kind that plans your diet), they'll do it. Also some gyms provide the service, you can call around and check.

Also there are water submersion tests. Those are pretty accurate but usually cost a pretty penny.

I don't think any "at home" bodyfat tests are very accurate, but they are accurate within themselves. This means that while you may not know you exact percentage, you can easily monitor change.

The cheap way to go is with calipers. It helps to have someone else use them on you, and I wouldn't worry to much about drastic change in the begiinning since they are not that easy to use and get consitent results. I would do each part at least 3 times to get an average. Calipers are also nice in the sense that you can measure different parts and not just get an overall reading.

Tanita scales are nice. I have like 5 haha. I used to work for them and their product is great. Much better than the dumb one you hold in front of you. If you use the scale at the same time of day, you are likely to get a more accurate reading. I use mine to get an idea, not an exact number. Same with weight, if you eat dinner and weight yourself, then take a shit and weigh yourself you did not just yo-yo diet in one day. For some reason people are willing to accept weight fluctuations but not bodyfat.

I use it and look for trends. When I'm dieting I weight myself only upon awakening and every few days. If I see the numbers generally fall, I'm losing bodyfat. If the generally rise I"m gaining it. Simple as that. Personally I don't care if I have exactly 10 or 12, I want to know if my program is working. I"ll stop my diet when I get the physique I like or the weight I want, not when I hit a certain body fat percentage.

Alot of times clubs like the YMCA will measure your body fat using calipers for about $5 or so. Check around...I bet a lot of local clubs do it.

LCDforMe said:
Also there are water submersion tests. Those are pretty accurate but usually cost a pretty penny.

Much cheaper and just as accurate is the DEXA. Most universities would probably have this, although I don't know if they offer it as a service.

nothin is hundred percent accurate. if u post ur height and waist size measured around ur belly button ill post up approximate body fat percentage , do the fat calipers things, do all the tests u can and come to an average.

I use calipers AND use this as a guide:
1. Full House = Over 20% bodyfat with no visible muscle definition.
2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approx. bodyfat level = 15-19%
3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approx. bodyfat level = 12-14%
3. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10-12%
4. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%
5. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%
6. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.

The water submersion test is the most accurate one that I know of. An upscale gym by my house has one. calipers aren't that accurate in my opinion. I've had a few different people measure me with them and I supposedly have 5.5%. 7.5 to 8% is probably more accurate. nhbfan's guideline sounds good.

Tanita scales are nice. It's by far the easiest way to do it.

I need to get a new scale. Tanita has come up with some interesting addons over the last couple of years.
Hook me up, Rjkd12!! (I know, you don't work there any more) they have a lot of units these days are there any models that should be avoided or given special consideration?

parallax86 said:
nothin is hundred percent accurate. if u post ur height and waist size measured around ur belly button ill post up approximate body fat percentage , do the fat calipers things, do all the tests u can and come to an average.

Yeah, you can check this forums for threads started by me. I did that one with links to three different pages calculating bodyfat % also considering frame size (three different methods for calculating frame size).

Whatever you use, make sure to recheck with the same one, same way. That way you will know your progress.

Back