Identity politics could cost Democrats 2020

Democratic Platform in 2020 should be two words: Universal Medicaid.

Hell on the knees, by the way.
Well if that is what you want you better hope Democrats have control of all branches or it has zero chance. Shit, even if Dems control all branches but the numbers are close in the Senate or House it could fail. Some form of universal healthcare is really popular now but there are plenty of moderates that are skeptical.

Plus, it would have to survive future administrations/Congress that would try to dismantle it, like they're trying to do with the ACA (which is less progressive).

At this point I'd settle for divided government 2019-2020 and a sane administration with a modest agenda. We've sunk so low I just hope for a government that doesn't fuck things up at this point.

I really wish we could get a third party somehow.

Personally, I do hate identity politics. But it seems unavoidable, to an extent, when there are really issues faced by specific groups. I don't see a path to winning elections based on helping people without performing the sales job to the electorate. It's part of politics, sadly.

No you couldn't. That's a pretty whacky thing to say, unless by "a lot" you mean small groups of inbreds and idiots.
You know what you said is not true. I would bet if you asked a lot of people of all races, that there would be a lot of people who would think segregation is the way to go. For every 5 white guys who don't want black people around, there are 5 blacks who don't want white people around. Don't even pretend thats not true.

And no, its not just "inbreds." This is a direct result of the ramp up in identity politics when Obama became president. Many people are victims of this bullshit.

You know what you said is not true. I would bet if you asked a lot of people of all races, that there would be a lot of people who would think segregation is the way to go. For every 5 white guys who don't want black people around, there are 5 blacks who don't want white people around. Don't even pretend thats not true.

And no, its not just "inbreds." This is a direct result of the ramp up in identity politics when Obama became president. Many people are victims of this bullshit.

Lol. No, Seano, our country would not have "a lot" of support for segregation. That's absurd. Less than 1%. Are you projecting here? Tell us how you feel.

I experience zero racial issues, and nobody I know feels anything remotely close to what you're saying.

Personally, I do hate identity politics. But it seems unavoidable, to an extent, when there are really issues faced by specific groups. I don't see a path to winning elections based on helping people without performing the sales job to the electorate. It's part of politics, sadly.
With a two party system identity politics is almost inevitable because you've got to unite several groups of voters with competing interests.

Question: How to you get a hedge fund billionaire, a police officer, an a out or work coal miner with black lung, an accountant, a Bible thumper, an INCEL, a gun freak, an indebted college student, a Fed Ex driver and a WalMart worker to all be committed Republicans?

Answer: Get them to hate liberals.

You could play a similar game the other way, but I think the Democrats do at least offer some consumer and environmental protections to the benefit of everyone.

Lol. No, Seano, our country would not have "a lot" of support for segregation. That's absurd. Less than 1%.
I bet if you used less inflammatory words than "segregation" the support would be much higher. Ask inner city black kids if they'd like a place where they don't have to contact white people. You really think there'd be no support for that idea? Come on. Mexicans create their own "little Mexicos." We know people want to be with their own.

The racial divide in this country is a real thing. It boggles me that someone would argue otherwise.

So what do you Trumpets think happen when suddenly a Democrat as crazy and uncompromising as Trump gets into office? What happens when you bring a valid, evidence-based concern, but he rolls his eyes, bats his hand at nothing in the air, and Tweets, "Fake news". All those mindless little Millennials-- they believe him. Most infuriatingly of all, it doesn't matter that you're right, or that they're stupid, because they have the numbers..

A Cautionary Tale: Chapter One

justin-trudeau-pride-toronto-prime-minister-2016.jpg

With a two party system identity politics is almost inevitable because you've got to unite several groups of voters with competing interests.

Question: How to you get a hedge fund billionaire, a police officer, an a out or work coal miner with black lung, an accountant, a Bible thumper, an INCEL, a gun freak, an indebted college student, a Fed Ex driver and a WalMart worker to all be committed Republicans?

Answer: Get them to hate liberals.

At this point the right's only strategy is to trigger the libs, appeal to religious nuts and racists. All of it is highly toxic. Their problem is their policy is very unpopular, so they can't run on that!

You could play a similar game the other way, but I think the Democrats do at least offer some consumer and environmental protections to the benefit of everyone.

Oh, I think Democrats are light years better than Republicans but they certainly play the identity politics game. They're better from a policy standpoint, so they can run on that!!! But again I get it, identity politics seems necessary, especially in this environment. In a better world we could leave it all aside and the political leaders with the best ideas would win. I know, crazy.

Democrats need to focus on economic issues instead of identity issues, most people vote on economic issues instead of identity.

The answer is not either/or but both/and. And there's only one way to promote group identification (essential) and still make economic policy preeminent (essential): Exemplify class as the operative identity.

It is actually the capitalist class who benefit from the balkanization created by identity politics. Marx called it out over 100 years ago. Making it extra ironic every time some moron uses the phrase "cultural Marxism" to define the modern SJW movement.

Somebody should tell OP that it's unwise to try to give good advice as a taunt.

I bet if you used less inflammatory words than "segregation" the support would be much higher. Ask inner city black kids if they'd like a place where they don't have to contact white people. You really think there'd be no support for that idea? Come on. Mexicans create their own "little Mexicos." We know people want to be with their own.

The racial divide in this country is a real thing. It boggles me that someone would argue otherwise.

I'm out grabbing groceries right now. No shit, im surrounded by interracial couples or women with biracial kids. White, indian, black, East Asian, etc.

Go somewhere prosperous, and everybody is over it. I was in DC yesterday and it genuinely seemed like there were just as many mixed couples as same-race couples. Why? Successful, intelligent people like other intelligent and successful people.

You just used poor inner city kids and immigrants as your examples. How about you go talk to those people sometime, I bet you will be surprised to find that they are not racist against you at all.

Have you traveled much?

How did George W. "God wants me to be president" Bush use identity politics to get elected?

You are aware "Evangelical" is an identity, yes?

A lose identity, that often changes over the course of a life, and of which there is not enough people identifying to carry any election. I don't know that many "evangelicals;" I kind of feel the word was created by the media to politicize, and change, the word "Christian."

I'm out grabbing groceries right now. No shit, im surrounded by interracial couples or women with biracial kids. White, indian, black, East Asian, etc.

Go somewhere prosperous, and everybody is over it. I was in DC yesterday and it genuinely seemed like there were just as many mixed couples as same-race couples. Why? Successful, intelligent people like other intelligent and successful people.

You just used poor inner city kids and immigrants as your examples. How about you go talk to those people sometime, I bet you will be surprised to find that they are not racist against you at all.

Have you traveled much?

I'm simply seeing a lot of hate and suspicion in society right now. I'm not even taking sides because everyone is guilty. We have regressed so badly over the past decade.

Somebody should tell OP that it's unwise to try to give good advice as a taunt.
After seeing the Left's reaction to this thread, giving good advice as a taunt doesn't seem so unwise. PS: MS-13 are animals.<Moves>

At this point the right's only strategy is to trigger the libs, appeal to religious nuts and racists. All of it is highly toxic. Their problem is their policy is very unpopular, so they can't run on that!
This is the liberal handbook in reverse, now.

I literally had to explain to a poster in another thread yesterday that Joe Rogan isn't Alt-Right, Candace Owens isn't Alt-Right, and the JRE isn't a "platform for the Alt-Right". He believed this. Sincerely. I've heard the word "racist" used incorrectly in a sentence more in the past three years than my entire life previously-- times three.

No, he isn't an exception, anecdote, or anomaly. He's taking his cues from mainstream media outlets like The Daily Mail and CNN. They routinely label media personalities as "Alt-Right" or "extreme" or "fringe" or "far right" that aren't any of those things.

The identity politics race-baiting "Southern Strategy" has a fraternal twin. The liberals are every bit as racist as the conservatives, and I'd opine more so, lately, as a matter of official or mainstream party rhetoric/policy.

I'm simply seeing a lot of hate and suspicion in society right now. I'm not even taking sides because everyone is guilty. We have regressed so badly over the past decade.

I understand what you are saying, and there is no reason for you to believe me or not believe me, but I really think it is almost all cooked up by the fringe and the media.

I interact with black people from Baltimore city regularly, and they are not racist at all. The kids look up to white and black people as if they don't notice a difference at all. I also interact with recent immigrants a lot from Central America, and they are not racist either and they are cool as shit. I cannot find all of this racial unrest that the media speaks of.

Despite the media rhetoric, I've never seen less racism and prejudice in my entire life (in real life) than now.

Back