Idaho Governor signs Constitutional Carry into law!

I have worked cattle, the guns come in much handier when protecting foul. Coyote were the biggest predators of the chickens. I have lived and worked in my younger days miles from the nearest dirt road. .223 is fine for wild canines but I didn't need a black rifle for for that. It was always bolt guns. Handguns are fine for putting down animals and the slash of dirt at a shot near coyote will scare them off

I know Iowa fairly well and it's most remote areas are not among the most remote areas in the USA. I will grant that New Mexico has some places that are fairly remote but again it does not have the most remote places.

Come to the Gila country and tell me it isn't as remote as any other place in the lower 48. I'm not sure if you are trying to start a pissing contest or how "working miles from a dirt road" qualifies you as an expert, but you don't seem very knowledgeable on cattle, and I know little of your credentials.

I've worked all over the Western US and Alaska as a Smokejumper. I've even boosted McCall a few times. Montana and Idaho have the largest designated "wilderness" areas on paper, but they see a lot more visitors than we get. For overall remoteness and wildness, West Central NM is par with the other "wild" areas in the lower 48, which I'd consider as the Salmon River country in Idaho, NW Wyoming (Yellowstone/Wind Rivers/Gros Ventre), and Glacier/Bob Marshall area in MT. Those areas all see a hell of a lot more people, though. You can get further from a road in MT or ID, but you are more likely to see someone when you get there.

My favorite areas are not the most affluent. The Salmon river though the Church wilderness is fantastic. Riggen's and the devils is cool. The two northern most counties are fantastic, those would be Boundary and Bonner.

Noted. Will return one day. I lived in Banff after university so I have a huge soft spot for mountains.

Agreed. Sun Valley and Ketchum are very nice. Only been once but will return at some point.

Riggins

RigginsIdahoAirstrip.jpg

4807405.jpg

I grew up on a farm in Iowa, and a ranch near Reserve, New Mexico. As rural as you can get in the lower 48. We'd lose some calves in the spring, but honestly, guns are almost useless for defending against that. You aren't with your cattle that often, predation is mainly at night and your cows are scattered over thousands of acres. The best defense against depredation are livestock guarding dogs if they are calving on the range, or if you can have them calve near the ranch within a fence, even better. The only grown cows we lost were to lightning and thieves. We had Great Pyrenees and Kangal mix LGD's. Big dogs.

I agree, gun ownership can be practical. That is what my background with guns is. What isn't practical on a ranch is a hand gun, and a .223 semi auto isn't too useful, either. But for someone living in a dangerous urban area, a handgun could be very practical.

223 is perfect for dealing with possums coyotes and other nuisance animals. And the modern sporting rifle can easily interchange b arrels if you need to hunt or otherwise deal with larger animals such as deer or boar

Come to the Gila country and tell me it isn't as remote as any other place in the lower 48. I'm not sure if you are trying to start a pissing contest or how "working miles from a dirt road" qualifies you as an expert, but you don't seem very knowledgeable on cattle, and I know little of your credentials.

I've worked all over the Western US and Alaska as a Smokejumper. I've even boosted McCall a few times. Montana and Idaho have the largest designated "wilderness" areas on paper, but they see a lot more visitors than we get. For overall remoteness and wildness, West Central NM is par with the other "wild" areas in the lower 48, which I'd consider as the Salmon River country in Idaho, NW Wyoming (Yellowstone/Wind Rivers/Gros Ventre), and Glacier/Bob Marshall area in MT. Those areas all see a hell of a lot more people, though. You can get further from a road in MT or ID, but you are more likely to see someone when you get there.

I'm not from Idaho, I just happen to like it there. When you said NM was the most remote in the lower 48 I don't buy that. I am not far from there right now. I accept the NM has remote places but the most remote in the lower 48. I don't think it is. Nevada, Utah and plenty of places can compete with that in remoteness.

There are

What isn't practical on a ranch is a hand gun,
Just last night at about 2a.m. I shot a skunk with a revolver and a hand held spotlight after it wandered onto one of my fields.

Two years ago (give or take a few months) I was moving a pivot. Ten feet away from me a skunk came out of its hole. If I didn't have my revolver on my hip, the skunk would have sprayed me.

Several years ago, a badger came out of its hole pissed off about 40 feet away from me. I could have got back in my truck before it got anywhere near me; however, detasseling season was only weeks away and we would have dozens of teenagers walking our fields. Leaving that animal was a risk to the safety of our entire operation.

A handgun on the farm has saved my beacon more than a few times.

and a .223 semi auto isn't too useful, either.

I use a 5.56/.223 bolt action rifle with a mauser bolt for unmatched reliability in the worst of conditions. It's handy for shots that a handgun can't make easily.

Cities don't get to pick and choose what Constitutionally protected rights apply to its citizens.

sure they did, at least until recently. 2nd amendment never applied to the states. in fact, none of the bill of rights did until the supreme court said they did in like the 1930s. and they skipped over the 2nd amendment in that time period too. mcdonald v. chicago is when the supreme court finally incorporated the 2nd amendment and that didn't happen until 2010, which considering how psychotic scalia became in his later years, begs the question of just how rational that decision making process was.

and, the supreme court still said guns are subject to state regulations. that's going to be territory for the states unless the supreme court lays out some bright line rules. some federal courts are coming up with some, but that's not binding on the whole country when one appellate court does.

history is a wonderful thing when people bother to actually read about it. and i'm willing to go with 200 years or so of the actual construct of the 2nd amendment, rather than the NRA's recently warped perspective and crusade to arm 1st graders with uzis and every moron with a twitchy finger a nice glock.

and btw, i appreciate a little fucking respect when you address me. you opened this up to questions to everyone about what we think, i'm telling you what i think in a calm, rational manner, and i don't like being talked at, particularly from people that are just regurgitating shit they heard from some radio pricks. smugly saying "well it's in the constitution" doesn't say shit - it's intellectually dishonest b/c you aren't even bothering to learn this shit. you are just deferring to an inaccurate moral high ground, and i don't find that to be encouraging of a discussion in the fucking slightest. so watch your mouth if you decide to talk to me, otherwise don't bother.

or just bitch out and talk about the capital letter horseshit that every cocksucker with a smarmy mouth that posts here likes to do.

sure they did, at least until recently. 2nd amendment never applied to the states. in fact, none of the bill of rights did until the supreme court said they did in like the 1930s. and they skipped over the 2nd amendment in that time period too. mcdonald v. chicago is when the supreme court finally incorporated the 2nd amendment and that didn't happen until 2010, which considering how psychotic scalia became in his later years, begs the question of just how rational that decision making process was.

and, the supreme court still said guns are subject to state regulations. that's going to be territory for the states unless the supreme court lays out some bright line rules. some federal courts are coming up with some, but that's not binding on the whole country when one appellate court does.

history is a wonderful thing when people bother to actually read about it. and i'm willing to go with 200 years or so of the actual construct of the 2nd amendment, rather than the NRA's recently warped perspective and crusade to arm 1st graders with uzis and every moron with a twitchy finger a nice glock.

and btw, i appreciate a little fucking respect when you address me. you opened this up to questions to everyone about what we think, i'm telling you what i think in a calm, rational manner, and i don't like being talked at, particularly from people that are just regurgitating shit they heard from some radio pricks. smugly saying "well it's in the constitution" doesn't say shit - it's intellectually dishonest b/c you aren't even bothering to learn this shit. you are just deferring to an inaccurate moral high ground, and i don't find that to be encouraging of a discussion in the fucking slightest. so watch your mouth if you decide to talk to me, otherwise don't bother.

or just bitch out and talk about the capital letter horseshit that every cocksucker with a smarmy mouth that posts here likes to do.

Yep, I know it's not popular with some people but your right. I believe in states rights but also like the changes that took place is there is an internal contradiction going on for me. I think the word "recently" has a different meaning for different people so I won't argue that part.

Last edited:
Nah the should just take all the guns

I would rather that not happen. Violet crime has been in decline fore sometime. I think there are a lot of things going on besides just guns influencing violent crime. The most strict states have have both good and bad numbers and the most permissive states have good and bad numbers.

It'll be a bloodbath in the streets... just like in Vermont, Maine, Wyoming, Alaska, Arizona, West Virginia, Kansas and Arkansas.

You ever been to Kansas, Arizona, West Virginia and Arkansas? There's a reason gun related suicides are higher than homicide rates and I blame them.

Having a weapon does not give you the right be a vigilante.

Uhh says who? I'm just waiting on these cigarettes to give me cancer, not being able to afford medical treatment and going on a rampage are two very American things.

I've been there, it's like a big back yard with some walmarts around.

But, if I lived there i would want a gun with me all the time too. Many parts of the country are pretty remote and kinda wild, you can't sit there and wait an hour and a half for cops to show up if you get in trouble.

I just don't like when these same rural people come to my large, metropolitan city and ones my friends and families live in and tell them everyone should be armed at all times. It's fuckin craziness.

Now if my state (California) had ccw permits where you had to pass like say live safety training once every 3-4 months, and they had clean psych and criminal backgrounds, I'd be ok with that. I remember reading cops have to regularly train during the year for using their weapons to avoid shooting innocents and innocent people in dangerous situations, I see no reason normal citizens that want to carry have the same training.

Bc where I grew up, the only people that had guns were criminals and cops. Regularly people didn't own guns, and I've never had a friend shot or killed in all the decades that I've lived here. Had a number of friends die by suicide using a gun and drunk drivers though. But that's diverting the discussion

First are you cool with rural places discriminating against you?

Second, you don't seem to realize that cops just qual once a year.

First are you cool with rural places discriminating against you?

Second, you don't seem to realize that cops just qual once a year.

How are these rural places discriminating against him? You almost never see cops, they are small in number on large pieces of land.

Hate our governor but I'm happy about this.

More tools to keep our Boise Dimes safe.

Idaho is a shithole full of incestuous inbreds. They'll give you a prison sentence for an ounce of weed. Fuck Idaho. If I ever need to go to Montana I get gas in Washington, roll up my windows and hold my nose, and get the fuck thru that meth-ridden dump of a state as quickly as possible without stopping for any reason.

How are these rural places discriminating against him? You almost never see cops, they are small in number on large pieces of land.

They aren't...

He is proposing discrimination against rural gun owners

These two gay guys spent 91 days in various parts of Idaho and loved it. They didn't hide who they are and no one discriminated against them it seems.

http://idaho.for91days.com/

"Jürgen and I are unrepentant liberals, but I never felt unwelcome in Idaho. Locals truly embrace the live-and-let-live attitude, and we never encountered any unpleasant situations, even when conversations veered toward politics or our homosexuality. If any of the people we met disapproved of us, our views or our lifestyle, they politely kept quiet and treated us as equals. Idaho might be extremely conservative, but as long as you respect the Golden Rule, it’s also an extremely easy place to get along."

rather than the NRA's recently warped perspective and crusade to arm 1st graders with uzis and every moron with a twitchy finger a nice glock.

The funny thing is the NRA was mostly about gun safety and instruction until the the 1980s, when it was hijecked as a political group.

Back