I'd like to see Mo drop down to 185 and challenge Shlemenko

Roger FedorAIR

It ain't easy being white
Reaction score
There's already not much left that Bellator can do with Mo in their 205 division, anymore...

They put him in 3 consecutive tourney's, and he lost all 3 times, and now he's got 2 losses to the current champ, and another loss to the current #1 contender (possibly), all matchups that pretty much no one is going to want to see again, given Mo's performances in those fights.

However, if you look at Bellator's 185 division, where guys like Doug Marshall and Brett Cooper are getting title shots, and a champion that has recently showed that wrestling and size are a major weakness for him...

I can see some serious potential for Mo to drop down, win a tourney, get the strap, and perhaps even become a dominant champ.

You might think that Mo is a little too muscled up now to make the weight, but he wasn't exactly skin n bones in college, either:

87187e27196ec46707456963e9eaa0cb.jpg

He wrestled at 184 the majority of his collegiate career, before finishing at 197 his senior year. But then after he dropped back down after college to wrestle amateur, and was a 184 champ in 2005.

Take it a step further; I actually think Mo has visibly lost leg mass since he had that near-death infection. He, himself, said his leg looked like the muscle was almost completely gone, at one point.

Personally, I think if guys like Munoz and Chael are able to make 185, then I don't see any reason why Mo couldn't...

Thoughts?

I, for one, would tune in to watch Mo/Shlemenko any day of the week.

Idk man. Mo has fought at HW before and isn't a small 205'er by any means.

If Mo wants to go on STORMWATCH, perhaps Alex should move up to 205.

I think in theory this is a great plan that could produce a Bellator champ. Good call about Mo wrestling at 185 in freestyle and college too, especially since you have to make weight a lot less often in MMA than in wrestling. But I dont think Mo has it in him to do this. Not enough love of his sport, not enough desire to be champ, too beat up by injuries and tough breaks.

Idk man. Mo has fought at HW before and isn't a small 205'er by any means.

I disagree. To me he does appear to be on the smaller side for an LHW...

He's got an impressive build in his upper body, but not like he's a hulking Davis-type figure, who I think is significantly bigger than Mo pretty much everywhere (no homo).

Plus he's standing on those tiny chicken legs of his, and what I think might be some decreased mass in his quads. Although, that's just speculation, on my part...

King Mo was at 185 pounds(185.188/84KG) as recently as the middle of 2008 when he was still wrestling. When he fought at HW a few times in Sengoku and Strikeforce, he only weighed 218-219 pounds. He might be able to do it again, guys fight at MW who walk around heavier, but Mo is pretty damn fat free.

I think he had a pretty rough time with the cut, and the reason why he did it was because DC was at 96 KG. He went up to 96 KG in 2006/2007, but he lost to Cormier in the U.S. Championship Finals in 2007.

He was even at 184 in Real Pro Wrestling when he was the champ. Strangely, he looked fucking gigantic.
lawal.jpg

It's a shame what to happened to his leg. It's clear it really hurt the guy. You're talking about a guy who used to launch high level international wrestlers around.

Obviously, if he does manage to hit 185, he does have a pretty good shot at the belt there.

When he fought at HW a few times in Sengoku and Strikeforce, he only weighed 218-219 pounds.

Yup, I was literally just looking this up...

Weighed 219 against, both, Wiuff and Kerr, which I think would officially put him in, at least, the lower half of the division, as far as normal training/non-dieting weight.

Again, in my mind, if guys like Chael, Munoz, Vitor, and quite a few others who I think are all both bigger AND heavier than Mo, can make the weight. Then I don't ssee any reason why Mo couldn't...

Yup, I was literally just looking this up...

Weighed 219 against, both, Wiuff and Kerr, which I think would officially put him in, at least, the lower half of the division, as far as normal training/non-dieting weight.

Again, in my mind, if guys like Chael, Munoz, Vitor, and quite a few others who I think are all both bigger AND heavier than Mo, can make the weight. Then I don't ssee any reason why Mo couldn't...

Yeah, Mo is a guy who gives the impression of being bigger than he really is. He isn't very large.

CBS+Strikeforce+MMA+Fighters+Open+Media+Workout+kOn4m6gYxNtl.jpg

If you named all those guys and then told someone that Jake Shields would actually be the biggest one if you lined them all up, they would say you are crazy. But, that's how it is.

i'd like to see Tim Sylvia competing in the welterweight division

If he could make the weight, why not? I agree, his losses to Newton and Rampage have hurt him there, and given that Mo and Shlemenko are two of the relatively more well known guys in Bellator, it couldn't hurt. Bellator seems to promote guys jumping around weight classes a lot to make it into the different tournaments, so there is not reason to assume he'd have to stay there either.

Yeah, Mo is a guy who gives the impression of being bigger than he really is. He isn't very large.

If you named all those guys and then told someone that Jake Shields would actually be the biggest one if you lined them all up, they would say you are crazy. But, that's how it is.

Good lord Melendez looks huge...

O geez...

IF only SF could've foreseen the disaster that was about to become with this card. Literally everything bad that could've happen, happened. 3 snoozer 5-round decisionsm overshooting their timeslot by a mile. Overpaying Hendo to come in and lose and gas out badly on national TV, only to have Jake get away and give UFC one of the few fighters left out there, for them to sell a big fight with GSP. The brawl. The retarded Gus Johnson one-liner. The end of their entire relationship with CBS...

But more on topic, Hendo is just about the ONLY other LHW Mo could've stood next to and made his legs actually look normal size (sans Jones). They both have ridiculously little calf muscle, and their legs look more akin to a featherweight, than they are to LHWs...

Hell, Gil looks like he might just have heavier legs than both of them, and we're talking about a guy who has fought at 145, and has even talked about possibly going back down...

I dont think it matters where he fights, hes just such a middle of the road guy

Well, he'd definitely be champ there if he could make the weight. Shlemenko sure as hell isn't beating him.

Well, he'd definitely be champ there if he could make the weight. Shlemenko sure as hell isn't beating him.

Idk man. Sure Shlemenko would have to weather the early wrestling storm of Mo but when Mo is gassed or hell when both of em are gassed. I give Shlemenko the better chance at winning.

I dont think it matters where he fights, hes just such a middle of the road guy

Agreed. Sadly, after his near-death infection, he does seem to be firmly entrenched into "middle of the pack" status.

All the more reason for him to be fighting in that Bellator 185 division.

Don't know about definitely, but I agree that he would be favored against Storm.

Idk man. Sure Shlemenko would have to weather the early wrestling storm of Mo but when Mo is gassed or hell when both of em are gassed. I give Shlemenko the better chance at winning.
I think Mo would have such an easy time controlling him that he wouldn't be likely to gas to the point where Shlemenko could come back and stop him. And he would have to stop him because Mo is definitely taking the first 3-4 rounds. Shlemenko is not in his league.

I don't think many people even care to watch Mo f fight at any weight again. I certainly dont.

For me this was the fight he could have redeemed himself...but did no such thing.

Before the last fight with Newton I remember watching the pre fight thinking that he better come out and back how he was talking then proceeded to be a pinching bag for 25 minutes. Them he gets a win and starts running his mouth again and what does he do?

Back