IBJJF question

Jamie Hughes

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
hey guys, just a quick question, im going to be in brazil for 3 months this summer and was wondering if i would need an ibjjf membership card to compete while im there in the rio international open or if a passport will be ok like most other ibjjf events. im a purple belt btw, i know you need a card for brown and black.

also anyone recommend any other comps in rio around july to october?

It's a pain in the ass for gringos to get one while in Brazil. You do have to have one for the Rio Open. I couldn't get mine in time once I was down there last year :(

Yeah you def need one for Rio Open I competed there 2 years ago. Good luck it should be easy to get if your main instructor is a black belt with atleast 1 stripe under IBJJF

got some clarification off the IBJJF on this, you do not need an IBJJF membership to compete at the Rio International Open if you are purple belt and below, saves me some cash , result!

I know for all AFBJJ comps, you need an AFBJJ card or IBJJF card for all belts... it is moving that way.

I know for all AFBJJ comps, you need an AFBJJ card or IBJJF card for all belts... it is moving that way.

Yeh it will, Ibjjf aren't stupid all those competitors paying the membership fee is a nice little money spinner lol

I did the rio open a few years ago at blue and was required to register.

just a quick bump, ive got all my registration sorted, i have my ID card number but no actual card as of yet and i fly tomorrow, will i still be able to compete if i dont have my card to hand? or will a passport suffice seeing as i am already registered

just a quick bump, ive got all my registration sorted, i have my ID card number but no actual card as of yet and i fly tomorrow, will i still be able to compete if i dont have my card to hand? or will a passport suffice seeing as i am already registered

I think as long as your registered your good to go. I showed my passport and picked up my card after I fought.

Back