IBJJF Gi Pants Fitting Rules?

S

SickyGnarwhal

I've been looking over the IBJJF regulations regarding the kimono, but it states nothing about the gi pants besides where patches are allowed.

Are high-water gi pants allowed?

I believe they need to come to the top of the ankles but I've never had a referee tell me to pull up my kimono so that they can see if I'm sagging my pants. A lot of times guys will sag their pants for the kimono check and then pull them up slightly when they go to grapple.

There is also a type of kimono cut that makes you feel like you're wearing the pants backwards. They have a weird pressure on the front of your hips all the way down your thighs. As soon as I sit guard they pull up to mid calf or higher.

I have heard this too. Apparently they're supposed to reach your ankle, but I don't ever see them checked and one blackbelt I know said that all they look for is that they don't become "short pants" when you sit guard.

I have heard this too. Apparently they're supposed to reach your ankle, but I don't ever see them checked and one blackbelt I know said that all they look for is that they don't become "short pants" when you sit guard.

LoL, even when I checked in at some of the larger tournaments I've never been asked to squat or sit down during the kimono check. It would be interesting to see a referee stop the action to make someone change pants.

Thanks for the replies.

The pants of my lighter-weight(sp?grammerz?) kimono turn into shorts when I sit in guard (well, they are already well above the ankle), so I guess I'll have to find a brand that'll mix-and-match if I ever compete.

Back