IBJJF Age Calculation

Gia

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I noticed this wording for the second time the other day and I was wondering why the IBJJF would be so vague on age calculation:

Taken from the image below:

How to calculate the age of the athlete:

Current year - birth year = age of the athlete

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/551402_638977349450934_1547103950_n.png

There is no mention of month or actual DOB for the age calculation... I'm asking because I'm actually 29, but by following the IBJJF definition I should be competing in masters. Or maybe I'm just reading too far into.

yeah you can technically start competing in a division before you are that age. So you can compete in masters starting the year you turn 30, and not necessarily after your 30th birthday.

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Next question, was there a noticeable difference switching divisions and going from the oldest to the youngest guy in your bracket?

no idea.

but if you are going master and above, you are likely to have way less competitors in your bracket.

If you are masters, you can still compete at adult. I am 32 and have never competed in masters.

When I get old enough for Masters, I am going to start campaigning to be able to fight both adult and masters at the same competition. It's going to take some serious changes, but I want to at least try. I shouldn't have to choose if I'm willing to pay both entry fees! @_@

When I get old enough for Masters, I am going to start campaigning to be able to fight both adult and masters at the same competition. It's going to take some serious changes, but I want to at least try. I shouldn't have to choose if I'm willing to pay both entry fees! @_@

I think you are allowed to do that...

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Next question, was there a noticeable difference switching divisions and going from the oldest to the youngest guy in your bracket?
Yeah, way less competition.

One is not allowed to do that, outside of competitions like NAGA and Grapplers and the like, but it would be cool. Go Oli, go! - E

Looking to compete in my first tourney in 8 years this summer. Been off the mat for a long time, and this time around I will be 38 years old when I compete. Not sure if I should do the adult or masters......heck I think I could be in the Senior I division. Guess it all depends on my conditioning. My ego said do the adult and my better sense says do the masters...not sure.

Looking to compete in my first tourney in 8 years this summer. Been off the mat for a long time, and this time around I will be 38 years old when I compete. Not sure if I should do the adult or masters......heck I think I could be in the Senior I division. Guess it all depends on my conditioning. My ego said do the adult and my better sense says do the masters...not sure.

More glory to be won in adults ;).

Almost a senior 1...lol

no idea.

but if you are going master and above, you are likely to have way less competitors in your bracket.

Less competitors and shorter matches. There is a huge difference between Masters and Adult and even bigger difference between Senior 1 and 2 and Adult. That said, as most people age, most people physically decline, get more responsibilities.Its really unfair to compare a 40 year old to a 20 something year old who lives with his parents or roommates that can train 2-3 times a day.

I regularly compete in adult and masters divisions (34) and the last few years the tougher matches have been in the masters division.

certainly the adult is the top category, and there is more glory in it!

but I guess the major disadvantage for someone over 30 competing with the younger crew is condition. I think in the first fight, this wouldn

At the last NAGA event I did I was forced to compete in Masters despite my protests....well, to be more accurate, I did register in Masters but requested it changed once I found out the matches were 4 minutes vs. 7 minutes for purple belts.

They would not allow it.

For US Grappling, I have competed in both adult and masters at the same event. Same with Good Fight.

I regularly compete in adult and masters divisions (34) and the last few years the tougher matches have been in the masters division.

Curious what Belt and weightclass are you?

Back