• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ian Entwistle still not finishing heel hooks....

"People keep emailing me about how 'oh you are just doing a kneebar'; no it is *not* a kneebar."

- t. Mikey

I'm attacking BJJ dorks and that entire subculture, yes.

They have success in a discipline and think they're Johnny-Bad-Ass all of a sudden.
I'm been to umpteen gyms and seen the same thing - I puke at it.

In fact there was a segment on TUF of Matt Serra saying exactly what i'm saying.

Not mma fighters that use BJJ effectively cause the nature of the character to do one bares no resemblance to the nature of the character to do the other.

A vid was posted earlier of Giles blatently showing incorrect technique;
It could be intentional, or just incompetence, but either way it deserves ridicule.
Whats your record in the UFC?

I remember this thread... it provided about 2 weeks of entertainment through lockdown...

Are you bored? Is that why you’re resurrecting old threads?

When i saw the video i was instantly reminded of this thread, perfect place for it.

I guess everyone's missed it since it's posted on the last page though.

When i saw the video i was instantly reminded of this thread, perfect place for it.

I guess everyone's missed it since it's posted on the last page though.
Ahhh okay. Anyway how ya been

One can see how, by cupping under the ankle with his near hand on one side, and sheling their toes against his neck on the other, he creates a strong steering wheel structure that imparts rotational torque on the leg, taking all of the slack out, and thus making the hip extension to finish almost effortless.

Im a bit of a noob with leg locks, purple belt and just started playing with them in the best year.

I watched that video and found I was getting much much easier taps than going for an inverted heel hook- do you see a benefit in the mikey lock over the inverted heel hook?

Im also a pretty light grappler but managed to get this finish on several much bigger opponentns- it actually feels like an easier motion than the heel hook for me anyway

He was well known for dropping for a leg for ages.. Then Dan bludgeoned him with elbows from 50/50....
Could be a problem. You gotta mix it up, and the legs will expose themselves better.

bd1a4a.gif

Here it's the conventional (wrong) heel hook finish premise (torquing).

Bearing in mind in terms of power application to effect ratio, the heel hook is thee most efficient joint lock.

So we see a lot of effort apparent there with no finish.

Where as, if we compare that finish attempt to the masters of heel hooks above, Cummings, Gokar etc., their direction of power application is actually the opposite way;

It would be in this direction,

93a80f.gif

i.e. the movement would be performed not with the hands, but rather with the body, in a lateral bending.

As oppose to torquing in the direction of the red arrow which got no finish, the sub is correctly finished by contracting the body to the side of the blue arrow direction.

That's what I'm saying, plenty of schools still don't know how to teach this sub correctly and plenty of dudes still think it's finished by torquing as per the first gif.
"lateral bending" as in bridging into knee with the legs?

In gif outlay,

Flex latisimus dorsi muscles (side back muscle) = side bend.

No side bend = no finish:

e4027e.gif

Side bend = finish:

03b932.gif

Side bend = finish:

cummings-heel-hook.gif

Side bend = finish:

ec0de6.gif
is it a different finish if you were on one shoulder?

One can see how, by cupping under the ankle with his near hand on one side, and sheling their toes against his neck on the other, he creates a strong steering wheel structure that imparts rotational torque on the leg, taking all of the slack out, and thus making the hip extension to finish almost effortless.

Seems like a different submission.

He's using his head to rotate the lower leg and/or foot, then adding some hip extension into the knee.

The first part is like an outside toe hold using his head.

Ciryl Gane perfect finishing position last night.

Doesn't know how to finish, he's trying to twist.

** sigh **

Back