I wish there was submission grappling in the Commonwealth Games

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by HomerPlata, Oct 8, 2010.

1. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Just thinking out loud. I'm slyly watching the boxing on the BBC website while I'm in work, and I wish they had a BJJ/grappling/whatever event also. The whole "representing your country" angle is criminally under-used in the submission grappling world.

Obviously the "BJJ in the Olympics" argument has been done to death, but as I sit here now watching live coverage from India, I think the Games really needs grappling.

2. Xuh

Xuh Red Belt

they do have grappling - Wrestling - greco & freestyle. It just doesn't get *any* TV coverage

looks like they might drop wrestling again for the next commonwealth games in Glasgow though :mad:

3. Chute Stomp

Chute Stomp Brown Belt

The dream would be to have a sub grappling tourney that athletes from wrestling and Judo could enter, as well as straight BJJ guys. Like how some sprinters do 100, 200, 400 and even long jump. Swimmers can rack up tons of golds in slight variations of their main events. You could have a wrestler winning gold in Greco, and then go on to win another gold in the sub grappling tournament.

The downside is the IOC are a bunch of corrupt motherfuckers and would put their own stamp on things. I was looking for the wrestling on tv, but no, swimming swimming swimming, then more swimming. Not even Judo at the past couple commonwealths.

4. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Some submission wrestling would be excellent.

5. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

Submission wrestling wouldn't get a big enough audience to justify being aired, even though I'd love to see it in the Olympics.

6. Sayian

Sayian Blue Belt

i dunno what you guys are talking about.. there was alot of wrestling happening in tv's here in Australia?

and yeah, i was sorta hoping for submission grappling too haha maybe one day

7. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

Why, what do you have against submission grappling that you'd want to see it ruined by the IOC like they did to wrestling, boxing and judo?

8. FistInFace

FistInFace Brown Belt

This is a really cool idea.

9. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

I know there's wrestling, I've watched a bit of that on the BBC website too, but I'm talking about submissions, BJJ etc. I don't believe the IOC or whoever oversees the Commonwealths could ruin submission wrestling. What possible rule changes would they need to impose?

10. Chute Stomp

Chute Stomp Brown Belt

We don't need sub grappling and Judo in the Commonwealths when we've got the fine athletes of lawn bowls, that's the way I see it anyway.

11. Butler

Butler Orange Belt

Pissing me off. I really wanted to see some wrestling. I've looked almost every day at varying times and seen NOTHING.

Lawn fucking bowls got air time. LAWN FUCKING BOWLS.

12. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Well said :icon_chee