I was rolling around today................

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jose Hernandez, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Jose Hernandez

Jose Hernandez Orange Belt Professional Fighter

I was grappling a bit today and I when I got my partners back, I threw in one hook (left leg) the leg was in pretty tight. So, I went for a short choke and I then went to flatten the guy out all of a sudden I heard a huge pop. To say the least I finished grappling, my leg wasn't bothering me so much.
    Since then, I have gone to eat, changed my tire, and some done some other little things around the house. I have been walking slower than normal
    So, I just woke up from taking a little nap (with the Air Conditioning full blast) and my leg is bothering (hurting) more than before. It hurts to straighten it, and I am limping a lot when I walk. Any ideas on what it could be?

2. distorted

distorted White Belt

no idea dude, get 'er checked out though

3. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

Ice. Elevate. Advil. Re-evaluate tomorrow.

4. Knots619

Knots619 Orange Belt

i'd ice it, 15 min on ice then take the ice off for 15 min, and repeat for a few hours, if its still bothering you go to the doctor, knee injuries are the worst

5. TSLx89

TSLx89 White Belt

Maybe you didn't feel it at the moment because of all the adrenaline after just rolling and everything. But yeah I'd definately elevate, ice, rest, some Advil, and reevaluate.

6. Ballz_Onya_Chin

Ballz_Onya_Chin Blue Belt

This is good advice. If it's still fucked up, go to the doctor. The knee is the worst part of the human body.

7. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

If you've got a wrap or knee brace, the added support may help between now and when you see the doc.

8. Theodore

Theodore Orange Belt

Could be ACL if it hurts when extended. How bad was the pop? Other people hear it? Could be some meniscus. I would think that if it was a ligament, you woulda stopped... it's a hard thing to "tough out". You know when it goes!

9. pittelp

pittelp Smokin Joe belt winner

Nope, and thats not enough information to take a guess.

10. IChinaManI

IChinaManI Green Belt

Just cut it off now.

11. Jimmy Cerra

Jimmy Cerra Amateur Fighter

Sounds like AIDS. Ask your doctor.

12. phengeng

phengeng Blue Belt

injuries suck ass....i can't wait till we get bionic arms and legs and shit....no down time.

13. Cmac916

Cmac916 Orange Belt

Not sure whats your deal man but I kinda came close to what you have. I was trying to get hooks in for the choke, then the guy flattens out with all his weight to one side of his body and landed on my foot. I ended going to the doctor the next day because it was swelling and I wanted to make sure it was not broken, it ended up that I teared a couple ligments in it and had to take a week off from grappling because it hurt so bad.

I would get it checked out if I were you...

14. Jose Hernandez

Jose Hernandez Orange Belt Professional Fighter

WE have some funny posts here, he hurts to extend my knee. I have been waking a little bit, there was only two people working out today and both guys said the popping was really lound. I am not too worried about it, I don't think the pain is that bad. I think it hurts most when I don't move it for a long period of time. I am visting the doctor tomorrow because there is no way I will be able to work like this. I will keep you guys updated

15. wildcard_seven

wildcard_seven Purple Belt

Ah, the classic grappler hey-I-just-learned-that-my-knee-joint-doesn't-always-respond-well-to-an-over-zealous-movement-knee-popper.

Welcome to the club. If it is uncomfortable to squat on it or you can't really bend it inward (heel to butt) all the way, I'd say you're alright. Probably just slipped a tendon. Ice. Time. Care.

Now you know you can't throw a ton of velocity and pressure into a movement and expect your knee to bear all the load nicely. Watch your fucking knees. Don't let them get in awkward positions. Seriously, I lose count of how many people--including myself--who wouldn't let their pinky or wrist get caught in a weird angle but they are pretty damn accepting of throwing their knee joints into the fire.

16. Da Beast2000

Da Beast2000 White Belt

Naw thats not AIDS, when you've got AIDS your ear swells up, you have to get it syringed and drained and it eventually ends up all ugly lookin...