I want to go somewhere and train ...

SAMURAI SPIRIT

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Here is my situation:

A major change of scenery is needed. I love the school that I am at but would like to go somewhere for a month just to get away from work, stress, family pressures, social commitments. I am not looking for a high end competition team at this point though if I can find them that would be great. I am more inclined to go somewhere where ...

1. I can roll with new faces

2. Be away from traffic and the stress of urban life. (Alaska comes to mind as they have two very nice schools that I visited in anchorage)

3. I am on the East coast USA so continent of North America (Canada included) would be fine but closer destinations make it cheaper for me.

Where do I go? Thanks.

Are you looking for a cool city to train in or a cool academy? What's your budget like? If you're looking to mix in a vacation I'd head to Basico with Abraham Marte in the Dominican Republic. He has sick camps with guys like Leandro Lo and Joao Gabriel.

If you're sticking to the east coast there are a ton of options.

I am blue belt so most academies will still give me the quality if instruction and level of opponents that I will benefit from. This is why I am not looking for "Marcelo Garcia" in NY or any of the high end competition schools. I want to go somewhere scenic where I will have no distractions for a month. Somewhere where I could think about nothing but rolling, drilling and meditating / detoxing. Not into parties or clubs.

California to train with Mendes Bros in Costa Mesa, or Andre Galvao in San Diego, or Riberio brothers in San Diego

Beautiful weather, near the beach, plenty of things to do in Socal, and bzillion of upper belts to beat you up.

it's expensive out here, but you gotta pay to play.

I'm planning on trying to get away for a week or so later this year to go to the DR to try to train at the school mentioned above or in Cabarete (both are affiliates of my school). Gerbil's school in SC would be on my short list as well. I wouldn't mind training with Gustavo Dantas for a month, but don't really know much about Tempe.

TrumpetDan's Brea BJJ school would be a great choice, but probably not the cheapest since its in Cali. When I was first starting out I spent two weeks in the Channel Islands training at the GB school on Jersey that at some point I'd love to go back there and train for an extended period now that I'm not quite as clueless. It's way too expensive unless I get sent back there on business, though.

There are so many good lesser-known BJJ schools around that it'd probably be easier to work backwards and come up with a list of 5 less-expensive places that you wouldn't mind staying for a month and then choose the one with the best BJJ nearby.

California to train with Mendes Bros in Costa Mesa, or Andre Galvao in San Diego, or Riberio brothers in San Diego

Beautiful weather, near the beach, plenty of things to do in Socal, and bzillion of upper belts to beat you up.

it's expensive out here, but you gotta pay to play.

Cobrinha in L.A.

Kaijin MMA with Garth Taylor in Santa Cruz, CA.

10 minute walk from the academy:
image228.jpg

15 minute walk from the academy:
natbridgetop.jpg

The town is very chill. Lots of nice people, great outdoor activities, good food, especially if you're into eating healthy/organic/local. The academy is great as well, Garth teaches almost all the BJJ classes. Clem Shields (Jake's brother) teaches wrestling. Players from San Jose State judo team come down to teach. People there are friendly and helpful and you can roll laid back and just learn or you can go hard and uptempo, too.

Claudio Franca's is in Santa Cruz, too, but way on the other side of town, further from the beach, restaurants, groceries and other amenities. You also have Sandro Batata's school, not too far from Garth's, but closer to the college.

I spent a week and a half on train-cation in Santa Cruz, training at Kaijin last year. I rode my bike everywhere, from the house I rented to the academy, to the grocery store, to the movie theater, to dinner at night. If you want to relax and decompress, Santa Cruz will do that for you.

A guy opened up a gym around here a few weeks ago related to ATOS. It's in west chester. pretty scenic.

The price is also very cheap he says something like 100$ a month. He also says its like 10$ a drop in class but only if you're from like out of town. I'm sure you can strike a deal with him. He's a brown belt and his website is thinkbjj.com

I been to his website and his place looks really nice and pretty. I forgot his username, however I think you can find his thread somewhere, it was called like "opening a gym q and a" that was dated a few weeks ago.

Edit: okay so I went ahead and found the thread for you, his name is Jasonbass, why don't you go give him a PM and ask him about his city since the place is cheap, nice and probably has great instructions. He seems nice. http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/how-open-bjj-gym-q-2732831/

Edit:: I also realized that it's in west chester not philly. West chester is very scenic in my opinion.

Last edited:
The guy said he wants to get away from the stress of urban life and traffic, then 8 posts pop up suggesting LA and Orange county, the biggest clusterfuck of urban life and traffic in America. Nice.

The guy said he wants to get away from the stress of urban life and traffic, then 8 posts pop up suggesting LA and Orange county, the biggest clusterfuck of urban life and traffic in America. Nice.

I counted 3, and Toothless King's doesn't count. I think he's literally incapable of posting anything at all unless it contains "Mendes Bros.", "Costa Mesa", "AOJ" or "Atos" somewhere in the post. TrumpetDan is a sherdogger and by all accounts a great instructor and standup guy, so you can hardly blame anyone for suggesting his place. And then there's one guy who throws out Cobrinha's name.

So, really just one.

Last edited:

Orange County, for the most part, is a suburban area.

I counted 3, and Toothless King's doesn't count. I think he's literally incapable of posting anything at all unless it contains "Mendes Bros.", "Costa Mesa", "AOJ" or "Atos" somewhere in the post. TrumpetDan is a sherdogger and by all accounts a great instructor and standup guy, so you can hardly blame anyone for suggesting his place. And then there's one guy who throws out Cobrinha's name.

So, really just one.

You do know TrumpetDan' s school is in Orange County, right?

And why is your jimmies is so rustling?

Just to add into the options....

Charleston, SC, recently named one of the top tourist destinations in the world; world class restaurants; several beautiful beaches; incredible history and culture downtown

3 black belt schools:
Charleston MMA with GB black belt Casey Colias
Charleston Krav Maga with current UFC fighter/black belt Rafaelo Oliveira
Relson Gracie JJ with black belt Jerry Brewer

Just an option if you're ever in town

You do know TrumpetDan' s school is in Orange County, right?

And why is your jimmies is so rustling?

I do know that. That's why I included in my list of 3 mentions of OC/LA schools. Your post, the one about TrumpetDan, and the one about Cobrinha.

And my jimmies remain unrustled. I don't care that almost every other post of yours is about AOJ or the Mendes Bros, it's almost instinctual on your part by now. You're obviously very proud of your school and I don't blame you. I was just giving you a hard time.

So, really just one.

AOJ - Urban/traffic
Atos - Urban/traffic
Reibeiro - Urban/traffic
Cobrinha - mother of god its urban/traffic nightmare
Brea - Urban/traffic

8 was being facetious

Yo dude - come to Stockton and train with us. We got a nice little gym upstairs and a crossfit setup downstairs. It's not all super nice and commercialed out or anything like that. It's just a bunch of regular people training really hard. You can train for sure six days a week and sometimes on Sunday as well. Most days have two training sessions.

There's nothing here in Stockton to distract you from training. You'll be in the middle of CA - 2 hours west you're in SF, 2 hours east you're in the mountains.

Hit me up if you want to make it happen.

Back