I want to get into kickboxing / MMA

shogunfanboi**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old lazy bastard that hasn't had any real cardio workouts in years. I used to play soccer and basketball when I was younger but stopped all forms of sports during my high school years.

I admit that I consider myself pretty mentally weak so I wanted try it out to see if it can help me become mentally stronger. What can I expect as a rookie? Will I have nagging injuries throughout the year?

Also, how much should I expect to pay per month for a good school in the Los Angeles area? I live in the suburbs south of LA so I've been looking at a few schools in my area and more south because I hate driving to LA although I wouldn't rule it out if I like the school.

No idea how much you'll pay in/around LA. As far as what to expect? You will gas hard and fast. In shape or not, you will be worked harder than you have been in a long time because you'll probably be doing exercises that you've never done before (or only rarely). It will get easier over time (until you move into more advanced stuff, and then you'll feel like a noob again).

Best thing I can recommend is consistency. Making sure you go on a regular schedule, multiple times a week will get you in that habit, which will make it easier to keep going.

the full on brutality of mma might be of a shock to you. IMO take up Kickboxing or BJJ to get your body used to the kinds of motions you will experience then go from there. There's no way to train mental strength despite what many martial art places will tell you.

I'm a 20 year old lazy bastard that hasn't had any real cardio workouts in years. I used to play soccer and basketball when I was younger but stopped all forms of sports during my high school years.

I admit that I consider myself pretty mentally weak so I wanted try it out to see if it can help me become mentally stronger. What can I expect as a rookie? Will I have nagging injuries throughout the year?

Also, how much should I expect to pay per month for a good school in the Los Angeles area? I live in the suburbs south of LA so I've been looking at a few schools in my area and more south because I hate driving to LA although I wouldn't rule it out if I like the school.

sucks you live in l.a. the mma scools there are even more expensive then the ones on the east coast

sign up for a school and go to a strikeing class 2 times a week and a grappling class two times a week then when you decide which one you like better add a extra day

treadmills will help a little with the cardio 20 is a good age to start plus the classes overtime will build up your cardio

after rolling and sparring with headgear and gloves you will know if its right for you

your going to need to buy some gear the first few pieces of gear i would recomend is a rashguard,cup,mouthpiece and hand wraps

if you like it and stick with it for a year try fighting in a amateur mma match

Just stay on the couch and eat more icecream fat boy otherwise suck it up and get ready to bang :)

the full on brutality of mma might be of a shock to you. IMO take up Kickboxing or BJJ to get your body used to the kinds of motions you will experience then go from there. There's no way to train mental strength despite what many martial art places will tell you.

A mentally weak person just gives up is what I always thought.......

A mentally weak person just gives up is what I always thought.......

this is correct. Like look at Dennis Kang the guy has all the skills to be a top contender in the UFC or anywhere but he just gives up when the fight's not going his way.

Do some running and change your diet. its amazing how eating well, makes your feel well.

this is correct. Like look at Dennis Kang the guy has all the skills to be a top contender in the UFC or anywhere but he just gives up when the fight's not going his way.

Yeah you have to have or develop some kind of an ego to be a decent fighter or have "heart"

Just go to a class and see what its like, I started about a month and a half ago and im loving it.

The only way you'll get your answer is by going along and finding out for yourself.

Good luck.

Back