I wanna start training!!

Stokke2286

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ive really grown into the whole MMA thing the last two years but have been a big fan for ever. Ive always wanted to start training and now have the time and money to do so but dont know where to start. For those that do fight do you just go to a gym and say "I wanna fight" or what i have been condition 4 times a week already and watching some training movies but its not the same. Any info would be great thanks

You should have a couple years of training experience before you think about fighting. It's a lot harder than it looks on TV. Just show up to the gym with a good attitude and ready to learn. Good luck in your training.

train train train. ive been going 5-6 times a week and have had fighters talk to me about taking it to that "next step", thats after 4 months of training, but i do have a pretty vast athletic background so that helped with my learning curve and my athletic ability to start.

Dont walk into a gym and just start talking shit, make sure its something you can take seriously, work hard at it, and people will notice the work you put in.

i think you should do some tai chi that will help you with your mma skills plus post on here more often get a black belt in 6 months FTW!

lol, I imagine you walking into the front door with a lot of intensity and determination, someone asking you "yes can I help you?" and you make a dramatic pause and say "I wanna fight!" and then they are all impressed and want to touch you and everything.

Just go in and say you want to learn how to fight. Doing a couple months of conditioning and tape watching might help you, but it doesn't make a difference. Any gym you join will have you doing things their way and their conditioning program will get you in shape fast. They won't be impressed by whatever knowledge you already come in with, they will be much more impressed watching you stick around and improve.

Find some gyms in your area and visit them. Pick the one you like the most. I was kinda intimidated when I went to mine for the first time, but it was as relaxed as it could have been.

That being said, if a guy walks in, tells my instructor that he's the next big thing and wants to prove it... they usually don't come back. Seeing is not doing and doing in the gym is not fighting.

I fought about 11 months after joining. There's always room to learn though. I am fighting again in ~2 weeks, so we'll see if the first one is a fluke. :)

Conditioning wise, it's just different.

Bottom line - go find a gym, and be humble about it. Soak it all in and when you feel comfortable, give fighting a chance.

man walk into a gym tell them you want to TRAIN and WHEN you get the skill set you'd like to compete!!
No worries everyone starts somewhere. It's good you're doing conditioning already that will help with you not getting fatigued and being able to learn more, more quickly.
You'll be competing b4 you know it....there's no time frame on when people start fighting BTW...everyones different.

Prepare to be shocked. Training isn't what the montages in Rocky type movies play it to be. It is a long and arduous process both physically and mentally. If you think you can endure the training, then maybe you can think of fighting.

Ive really grown into the whole MMA thing the last two years but have been a big fan for ever. Ive always wanted to start training and now have the time and money to do so but dont know where to start. For those that do fight do you just go to a gym and say "I wanna fight" or what i have been condition 4 times a week already and watching some training movies but its not the same. Any info would be great thanks

1. Start with a reputable gym. Walk into the gym and let them explain their curriculum to you. Tell them what you want to do and see if their gym fits your needs.You may have to train at more than one gym if you want stand up and ground so try to pick an MMA school.

2. Don't even think about fighting until your mind is right (Yours isn't right now)

3. At least 6 months of training then you can fight some bum in an amateur fight.

Where do you live? Someone in your area may have a good school to try.

hey thanks guys this is great info i know its gonna be hard and i think i have the determination. If anyone knows of a good gym around....dont laugh....Fargo,ND let me know im starting to look around this week and check some things out cant wait to start training.....Thanks again

you go the gym and train and when the leader of the gym thinks you are ready then you fight.

Try out Rex Kwon Do too. He built a system based on two years of fighting in the Octogan

Haha... there's a Rex Kwon Do poster in the bathroom of our gym. :D

Forcing yourself to go and train always seems the hardest to me , once Im there , I enjoy it even if Im completely destroyed and have to rest every 10 seconds putting my hands on my knees- at the time Im im tired so it doesnt feel that nice , but once the training stops , I get this really great feeling :)

Forcing yourself to go and train always seems the hardest to me , once Im there , I enjoy it even if Im completely destroyed and have to rest every 10 seconds putting my hands on my knees- at the time Im im tired so it doesnt feel that nice , but once the training stops , I get this really great feeling :)

You're not the only one, it's the getting up and getting there that's the hardest part.

Find a good gym and be humble. There is nothing serious trainers hate more then a guy with brand new UFC gloves who says, "I want to be a fighter". Prove you're serious with your training and then start asking about fighting. It'll take YEARS!

Before you go to a gym, start stretching now! I can't stress how important stretching is. Better now than your first day of training. It's a good idea to hold off on throwing as you'll learn you have to be trained to throw down effectively. So why not work on the other stuff. You'll feel so much ahead of where you would have been. Oh, and work your quads. You gotta get those things in great shape or you can't be a truly effective fighter.

Back