I used to think Jarret Hurd was decent

Didn't he call out Jermell earlier in the week? How embarrassing.

I was reasonably high on him in that I thought he'd beat Lara because he matched really well with an aging Lara. Even the way he handled Harrison was fairly impressive considering Harrison can box and punch, despite a lot of other serious flaws. He was always a poor man's Margarito and while his chin held up well for awhile, he simply doesn't possess that kind of durability, motor or meanness to maintain that style at the top of the division for any length of time. He'll never possess the craft to adapt and change his style, either.

it's unfair to say he was never decent.

he handled harrison, battered trout to a stoppage and beat lara. at the time, he was unquestionably the man at 154. he was literally a tank walking people down and wailing on them until they cracked, was pretty damn impressive at the time.

i think j-rock just showed everyone that you could beat hurd if you didn't let him walk you down and fought him back. that and jarrett may have lost some edge.

I haven't seen his fight from Sunday night, but he has been extremely inactive. I have no idea how a fighter is supposed to get better by fighting once a year.

I still can't believe Hurd lost to Arias of all people! I guess Arias is a different fighter with Salas, but still! Hurd beat Trout and Lara!

He’s good but his confidence got shattered when he got bullied as a bully and even if he got himself a new coach he doesn’t seem eager - or able - to change his game.

Furthermore he’d lose his advantages at 160 and he has to kill himself to stay at 154.

The man is in one hell of a dead end right now. I think Berchelt may have the same issue very soon.

He had a short run even for his style, he can fix his holes but I think he’s done at the championship level.

I still can't believe Hurd lost to Arias of all people! I guess Arias is a different fighter with Salas, but still! Hurd beat Trout and Lara!
His style caught up to him and honestly I thought he’d have a little more fights in him, he’s probably had the shortest peak at a championship level, id pick Lara in rematch even at 160

Pressure fighter with no workrate and bad defense = walking heavy bag.

He’s good but his confidence got shattered when he got bullied as a bully and even if he got himself a new coach he doesn’t seem eager - or able - to change his game.

Furthermore he’d lose his advantages at 160 and he has to kill himself to stay at 154.

The man is in one hell of a dead end right now. I think Berchelt may have the same issue very soon.

It does seem that these types of fighters have a very steep decline once they get floored and outfought once or twice and a big part of that likely is psychological, like you said. Wasn't quite expecting this kind of fall-off from Hurd, though.

I want to point out tho, that we have to give a ton of credit to Arias. I'm gonna flex by telling the thread that I actually bet on him as a +6xx dog and he came thru. He's not a world beater but Hurd had been off a longtime, is a notorious slow starter, seemed like there may have been some weight cutting issues, you get the point.

But most of all I saw a prefight interview w/ Arias and he was JACKED UP. He got pissed b/c Hurd was complaining about not being able to get down to 154 but at the same timeArias saw him eating a piece of pizza and apparently he was very angry about that b/c he thought it showed Hurd's lack of dedication while also claiming it's impossible to make a certain weight. That's how it went iirc, something like that.

Anyway Arias was pumped and primed to go out there and give Hurd as tough a fight as he could and boy did he do it.

Hurd at his best probably beats Arias but in a 10rd fight being a slow starter along w/ all the aforementioned obstacles he was facing against super game opponent who wants to take it to you over a slice of pizza. Bro Arias fed him about 75 right hands to that grill of his.

Hurd, as mentioned, is in a bad place rn. I don't think he has the ability to be effective w/ switching up his style. I love watching the guy fight, he's had some good wins, but at the end of the day when you rely too much on your size, chin, and workrate and neither of them really show up except for the chin, you're in trouble against anybody who's got decent skills and a heart and chin to go with it.

It was an entertaining and enjoyable fight. Both guys brought it.
Hurd's style is the type that probably has cost him longevity at his prime. Not surprising his reign didn't last long. Just takes too much punishment.
Complete contrast to the sht main event.
My hat is off to him.

Back