i throw russian hooks like fedor bitch

I

iminthebible

hey doods i naturally hook or loop my punches. thats just how i naturally throw punches. and i was hittin the heavy bag at a friends, and some guy told me i was punching wrong. and i was like no way man go watch a google HL video of fedor and then tell me im wrong. the guy said my punches are too wide and sloppy. so my question is should i just try to fine tune my normal punching technique to make sure its maybe tighter and precise, or should i try to develop a more standard punching tech. also is it better to hit with the the first 2 knuckles when you throw shots like that, or the sidefist/thumb area like it seems fedor does?

iminthebible said:
hey doods i naturally hook or loop my punches. thats just how i naturally throw punches. and i was hittin the heavy bag at a friends, and some guy told me i was punching wrong. and i was like no way man go watch a google HL video of fedor and then tell me im wrong. the guy said my punches are too wide and sloppy. so my question is should i just try to fine tune my normal punching technique to make sure its maybe tighter and precise, or should i try to develop a more standard punching tech. also is it better to hit with the the first 2 knuckles when you throw shots like that, or the sidefist/thumb area like it seems fedor does?

If you're doing purely standup, like kickboxing or boxing, stop punching like fedor. Hit with the first two knuckles.

if you learn the proper technique you'll have more power and it'll feel better. you'll be able to keep a solid base and move better throwing it. but it might be pointless to do that

hit with the first 2 knuckles. but don't think if you hit someone in the head with those 2 knuckles in a street fight your hand wont break because mine did :icon_neut

iminthebible said:
or the sidefist/thumb area like it seems fedor does?
I don't think Fedor throws like that. His thumb injuries don't come from that.

Pure standup and mma are different. Depends what you want.

It is hard to argue that Fedor has bad standup, given how successful he has been.

Do both. If you have ever seen a vid of Fedor training, you would that he also practices "normal" stand up a lot.

I don't think Fedor throws like that. His thumb injuries don't come from that.

what do they come from ?

I tought Fedor aimed with the first knuckle and the inside of the fist, but once his thumb got in the way and that's how he was injured.

Personally, I would always advise learning the "normal" way before the Fedor way. Some fighters fight with their hands down to bait the oponent, but it's probably not a good idea for you or me.
Also everybody "naturally" hits like this. If you watch streetfights they're always throwing big loopy punches. The hard part is making them connect and not breaking your hand.

iminthebible said:

I'm guessing you don't train and just saw a goolge highlight and said hey that works and now you think you know how to punch...get some training dude if you want some proper technique.

If you throw a russian hook with bare hands, your wrist has to take some serious punishment. With a normale hook, the chance on a injury is much smaller. When you're gonna train boxing/kickboxing or something where fast combo's are usefull, I wouldn't recommand you to punch like that.
But for home, it's a funny technique..

reddragon454 said:
I'm guessing you don't train and just saw a goolge highlight and said hey that works and now you think you know how to punch...get some training dude if you want some proper technique.

your right i havent started training yet although ive been reaaaally wanting to start for quite some time now, im not retarded i know if you ever want to excel to proper levels of fighting then you have to get training/instruction, we just moved across the country and i dont have any real cash flow yet because im still lookin fer work.

but no i didnt just try to mimic fedors punching style either, ive just always naturally looped my shots when i punched, but who knows if thats from natural style or sloppy technique or a combo of both. when i try to throw punches with power thats just how it comes out. whenever ive hit someone irl, thats how i threw em. not saying its correct, just saying that without the time to think about how im going to execute a punch, thats what i do. id glady give up my funky style of punching for some real instruction though.

and i wasnt really using the example of fedors style to justify how i throw punches either, i just made the slight corelation between the 2 when the guy put me on the spot as kinda like a natural defense.

and i was just wondering if you DO hit that way, what part of the fist its better to aim with, i do aim with my first 2 knuckles of course, but i was just curious because it seems like at least sometimes fedor is aiming with the inside of his fist, especially when gnping

sha said:
what do they come from ?

I tought Fedor aimed with the first knuckle and the inside of the fist, but once his thumb got in the way and that's how he was injured.
40b.jpg

It looks here like he aims to land his knuckles flush on the bag.

Learn to jab straight, and toss a straight right, then keep your natural style in your arsenal. The probel is that as you get tired in a fight, those punches just get wider and wider and sloppier, and you will walk into something. There is a place for those shots, though, esp. in MMA, and a weird angle is often what catches a guy.

iminthebible said:
your right i havent started training yet although ive been reaaaally wanting to start for quite some time now, im not retarded i know if you ever want to excel to proper levels of fighting then you have to get training/instruction, we just moved across the country and i dont have any real cash flow yet because im still lookin fer work.

but no i didnt just try to mimic fedors punching style either, ive just always naturally looped my shots when i punched, but who knows if thats from natural style or sloppy technique or a combo of both. when i try to throw punches with power thats just how it comes out. whenever ive hit someone irl, thats how i threw em. not saying its correct, just saying that without the time to think about how im going to execute a punch, thats what i do. id glady give up my funky style of punching for some real instruction though.

and i wasnt really using the example of fedors style to justify how i throw punches either, i just made the slight corelation between the 2 when the guy put me on the spot as kinda like a natural defense.

and i was just wondering if you DO hit that way, what part of the fist its better to aim with, i do aim with my first 2 knuckles of course, but i was just curious because it seems like at least sometimes fedor is aiming with the inside of his fist, especially when gnping

Ok thats cool man, ya the looping punches come from your typical untrained "haymaker", everyone throws them if ya don't train, once you get some cash and start training you will see what I mean, you will feel the power in ur punches get soooo much stronger and you will feel better/more confident in your hand skills, best of luck to you.

You are not special. Almost every untrained puncher throws big, looping haymakers.

Fedor throws Russian hooks. Even to the trained eye, it's hard to pick up that he's got another style of punching that looks a lot like haymakers. Even if you buy the argument that Fedor's trained his punches this way, it's not a good argument for you to think you're punching with correct form by emulating Fedor. Fedor makes his stuff work because he's Fedor.

The harsh reality is that you are not throwing good "Fedor style" punches. You are throwing haymakers. I don't say that to be a rude, condescending asshole, but it's the simplest way to put it. The truth is that you are better off not training on your own whilst developing bad technique, but to work on general fitness while you are waiting for an opportunity to train.

There are few things as difficult to deal with in a boxing or kickboxing gym than trying to break the bad habits of a fresh newbie who has "taught" himself how to throw strikes from watching videos. What's even worse are the ones who will stand there and argue with you about how what they're doing isn't wrong because Fighter X does it this way and it works for him. I used to have more patience for these guys but now I'm of the stance that they can get the fuck out and can come back once they fix their attitude. Which isn't to say that you can't learn from the newest beginner who might have an insight, but 99% of the time, they're wasting your time.

reddragon454 said:
best post in thread

Learn the proper technique then adapt it to what works best for you. This is why every fighter has their own styles. If you set out to punch like the way you see someone punching you may just end up hurting yourself.

when you throw wide loopy punches you make yourself much more likely to get knocked cold from a counter you could go in with your head down and swing for the fences but then your gonna get caught w/ an uppercut or knee

me myself i throw quick powerful straight forward in your grill strikes.....get your power and speed right and you can put an opponent down with a quick powerful jab to the nose or lower jaw

iminthebible said:
you're a beginner that's why. that's what happened to me. even when i intend to throw them straight, they'd come out curvy. now that u realize this, go back to the drawing board (go to the heavy bag that is) and see if ur technique is wrong.

my personal knowledge when i "went back to drawing board" is snap the power in the end. most of ur mental focus should be on "guiding" the fist straight. after that, try sparring again. don't worry if ur punch lands or not, go somewhat slow and focus on guiding the fist in a linear path.

a specific versoin of this for me is timing the hip and when u extend ur arms can help facilitate the initial direction of the punch. try this next time you're on a bag. when i jab, i "tilt" foward before my fist even leaves my face. when i throw crosses, i twist my hips before my fist leaves my face. this works b/c it makes the momentum before the punhc straight, so once u reach w/ the fists, they'll have a greater tendency to continue that straight movement.

Back