I really need to put on like 40 pounds.

Weonlywonsixtwo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm 5'10 and weight 149 pretty pethetic.

What do I eat to gain a shitload of weight?
I have a very fast metabolism. So its very hard thanX alot.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:

Hit the Weights, build a strong base meaning legs. Bulk up.

"Gather heavy objects and move them around"

Steak and potatoes. Eggs. Whole Grains. Nuts. Leans meats. Carbs. Eat up man, there is so much more.

just eat... i dont think gaining a little body fat at that weight/height would do you any harm. but most importantly, remember to use that energy to gain muscle mass.

In memory of Carnal and also one of my favorite foods: corned beef hash. You can eat the "light" version if you are worried about the fat.

You'll have to be patient if you want that mass to be for a good proportion muscle.
Eat a lot and hit the weights often with big compound movements.
Limit other types of training.
Get some eating habits down.
Eating right before going to bed is a good one.
Read the stickies of the S&P forum (before posting there).
Deadlift is the single exercise that works the greatest amount of body mass.
Dedication, consistency and hard work.

Oh yeah, and you don't have a fast metabolism, you just eat as much as my grandma.

Weonlywonsixtwo said:

Did you even check the stickies, man? C'mon.

I'm not being harsh. All you asked, in essence, is "how do I gain weight?"

There are 1-2 fucking threads started with that EXACT same question in this forum everyday.

One thing you can do, if you think you have a high metabolic rate, is log everything you eat for a week or two. And I mean, log everything. EVERYTHING. Then, when the two weeksa are up, sit down with a good calculator and add up all the calories you consumed each day. Then average the amount you are eating per day (total calories / days logged).

A lot of people that think they eat a lot and can't gain actually don't eat nearly as much as they think they do.

The inverse often goes for overweight people that think they eat normal amounts of foods.

Once you have the real data, you can adjust you diet from there.

I'm not trashing high or low metabolism, because those can be real factors. But until you know what your true caloric intakes are, you might be making assumptions.

I disagree with this approach completely, especially for this individual. He seems young (the verbiage and diction indicate this) and does not have the discipline to keep a food log. Here's what I do.

Write this down, put it on a piece of paper in your wallet, tape it on your fridge. Before you sit down, check to see your meal has the following.

1. 30 - 50g of a lean protein source. Chicken, fish, lean cuts of beef, egg whites (with a few egg yolks) all fit the bill. For a ball park measurement, think 6oz of steak.
2. A carbohydrate source. Since you seem young, just try to make sure it's a real food, and not twinkies or cereal. Potatoes, rice, pasta, fruits, vegetables (actually very important but I doubt you'll eat them at this time in your life) are all good choices.
3. A serving of fat. Mixed nuts, olive oil (uncooked), peanut butter, avocadoes etc.

Try to eat this 5 times a day. If you can only eat a meal like this once a day, that's fine. But say to yourself "okay, I'm eating a meal that fits this once a day, tomorrow I'll try to make it twice a day" and work your way up. This is the only way to pack on muscle. I could lie to you and say you just need calories (which is true, you need more period) but to gain the sort of healthy mass you are looking for, you need to get away from Skittles and Milky Way as your primary caloric source.

Comment on my own post: Why is it that the skinniest kids are the sugaraholics? The kids who live off 2 snack bags of Lay's, Starburst, Coke, a bowl of Lucky Charms, and pizza are all rail thin? I'm convinced it's pure caloric displacement - they eat junk food in small enough amounts that the metabolism takes care of the lack of nourishment, like many girls I have dated. Speaking of which, it's always a kick to go out on a date and order two chicken breasts and a massive salad, while your date nibbles on some fat cocktail of an appetizer because she's "watching what she eats."

Grady said:
One thing you can do, if you think you have a high metabolic rate, is log everything you eat for a week or two. And I mean, log everything. EVERYTHING. Then, when the two weeksa are up, sit down with a good calculator and add up all the calories you consumed each day. Then average the amount you are eating per day (total calories / days logged).

A lot of people that think they eat a lot and can't gain actually don't eat nearly as much as they think they do.

The inverse often goes for overweight people that think they eat normal amounts of foods.

Once you have the real data, you can adjust you diet from there.

I'm not trashing high or low metabolism, because those can be real factors. But until you know what your true caloric intakes are, you might be making assumptions.

zdrax said:
I disagree with this approach completely, especially for this individual. He seems young (the verbiage and diction indicate this) and does not have the discipline to keep a food log.

Its best to understand something before applying a solution.

You make a lot of assumptions as to how you think the OP eats, and about the OP's discipline level, and then create a plan based on those assumptions. We are still missing a lot of facts.

This is why I maintain that a log is the first order of business, even if the OP is "young."

As someone who's been at the nutrition and diet game for a long time, diet logging measures the variables, rather than the results, and yields very little applicable data. He logs his diet for a week or two. He finds he's all over the place - sometimes eating three meals, sometimes two with five snacks. Great, so what? What he should do is start with a basic plan (something simple like I laid out). He should then evaluate how closely he follows the plan. Then after say a two week period, measure the results.

I once had frighteningly thin friend who managed to make significant gains with this philosophy:
Every time you eat, treat it like a work out. Just like you can always do one more rep, you can always take one more bite. Just like you can do a lot of bullshit exercises, you can eat a lot of bullshit food. Eat hard and eat well, and you'll gain weight.

Just workout bro and eat healthy. I've been watching what I eat and lost 5 pounds so far.

just eat alot of clean food. clean fats and protein. eggs, oatmeal, chicken, turkey, whole wheat, etc.

Back