I question Gustafsson's confidence coming into this fight with Daniel Cormier.

Steveston

Lion's Den
Platinum Member
Reaction score
After losing to Jon Jones he was devastated he thought he won, Gustafsson then defeats Manuwa builds enough confidence to think he has a shot at Jon Jones again.
Only to have it all come crashing down against Anthony Johnson losing by via TKO in his home country of Sweden, Gustafsson even considered retiring because of it.
I'm not sure if he's going to be in the correct mentality to win this fight against D.C.
Daniel-Cormier-vs.-Alexander-Gustafsson.png

Last edited:
I've been observing the vids on his training camp and this seems to be his best one yet. DC is in for it.

I don't question it at all. That was a tough loss in front of his countrymen. Any fighter that says "Oh well, back to the drawing board" after a fight is only putting on a good show. Every loss is devastating and puts doubt in your mind. From what I can see about Gus this time around, he took that loss to heart and never wants to experience that embarrassment again.

The rumble thing can happen to anyone. It shouldn't mess with your confidence. Just make sure you do the right things to minimize it from ever happening again.

Gus' last loss is about as bad as it gets. Huge title eliminator fight while headlining a card in your native country. Get's steamrolled.

He seems like a pretty mentally tough dude so he'll probably be fine, but that kind of loss probably affects even the best of them. I think at most we'll see a more conservative Gus in the initial rounds.

I question whether Cormier is thinking too much about Jones rather than Gus, at least more than i worry about Gus' confidence.

Gus comes to fight,the Rumble fight was a once off.He showed a lot of heart after getting tagged by Rumble plus i think most of the pressure will be on Cormier. Gus really has nothing to lose at this point.

that KO loss would have killed anyone's confidence

Back