i lost my first grappling match

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by totalknockout, Sep 18, 2005.

1. totalknockout

totalknockout Orange Belt

i lost my first grappling match, i was pissed, this guy was too good to be in the novice catagory, cuz i consider myself a dam good novice but he just killed me, also i saw him earlier that day in the intermediate class, which is for 1-3 years, novice is 0-6 months experiance. i went for the take down and like many wrestlers do i left my neck open for a guillitine and he got a really tight guillotin choke and pulled guard, i turned my head sideways so the forearm went across my jaw so i was fine after almost getting choked out i slipped outta the choke and he went right away for a double armbar and pulled one arm out, he rolled me to my side and got the str8 armbar, then i tapped but he was too slick to be a novice. well anyways i got beat by a better man i guess. well thats the story of my first grappling match, i hope you like.

2. NHB7

NHB7 Steel Belt

That happens all the time in beginner grappling matches. A lot of time blue belts will pose as white belts just to make the school look better, its pretty pathetic. Anyways, stick to it, don't let one loss bring you down. You have to be persistant, even if you lose your first four, five, or even ten grappling matches.

3. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Try your double leg with your head in his solar plexus area. Just as effective if you shoot hard, but much harder to choke.

4. genkivodka

genkivodka Guest

shit happpens what matter its how can you overcome and be better

5. jadizm

jadizm Self Serve Vanilla Pussy!!

keep up the training and the tables will turn.

6. dorimon

dorimon Blue Belt

Well, clearly he had more training and experience than you. You went into the match as a novice when he went into as a intermediate fighter. Atleast you got to roll around with an experienced grappler. YOu will now Know what to expect.

I bet you learned a lot of techniques. Keep it up bro !! Tables will turn

7. ColtonS

ColtonS Banned Banned

Damn sandbaggers.. Thats one problem with grappeling tournys!

8. Big Red

Big Red Green Belt

It's gonna be a learning experience regardless, better luck next time.

9. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

That's too bad but keep with it and keep rolling man.

10. tankmcgee

tankmcgee White Belt

this happenend to me to when i went to my first naga tournament as a novice i fought in the intermidiete and begginer to just so i get more matches in the first match i got armbarred about 3 min in and i was winning the second 1-0 with side mount when there was a timeout because we went off the mat i stood up and puked they dq'ed me then when i got to novice i was feeling pretty good and the guy smoked me what a bunch of bs

11. spydermonkey

spydermonkey Brown Belt

NAGA is notorious for that, Kip always anounces before the tourney that people will be disqualified for that crap, but they still do it. Anyway, no biggee man, I lost the Gold medal match at my first tourney on points (lowest level of comp mind you) and it just motivated me, I am easily ten times better now than I was then.

12. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

I consider myself a pretty decent grappler, but my 1-2 gi and 0-1 no-gi records don't reflect that. Losses happen. Even back when I dominated every match in Taekwondo, losses happened.

It's only a tournament. In my first gi tournament, I won my first match with an epic guillotine after attempting a kimura and a sweep, then lost bitterly by Americana by a simply better opponent. I figured it was a fluke. My second tournament, I got completely humbled - a Japanese guy dominated me in every single aspect of the match. Did everything besides submitting me. Best thing that ever happened to me - I haven't trained as hard as I have been the past 4 or 5 months, ever.

I can't wait until October 22 - my first tournament since summer ended, in Burnaby or Vancouver(www.challengeproductions.tk). I've had two good experiences, but this time I'm training to win. I've gone hardcore in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo for a while, so this time, I'm training to win.

Good job though. I hope you had fun. Thats the important thing.

13. JoeU1741

JoeU1741 Yellow Belt

Don't worry about it man, good work getting out there and competing. This is one of those times when it really doesn't matter so much how you placed, but the fact you went out there and got some experience.

Let the other dude go home telling himself he's some kind of grappling hero, it'll be his loss in the long run.

14. sir037

sir037 Forever Noob

Keep your chin up. Remember not only what you learned in the match but what you felt when you lost.

When I lost my first Pancrase rules match, I felt a fire deep inside of me. Not only have I used that fire in my training, but also in the way I live my life. I want to kick ass in everything I do and won't go down without a fight.

15. totalknockout

totalknockout Orange Belt

thanks guys, im really tryin to get better at grappling, i consider myself a very decent novice, i almost submit everyone at my gym, and they are all really good, its leg locks that i love. but hey baby steps i guess, im happy cuz just 4 months ago i was nothing but a muay thai fighter, once i learn the ground game some more there puttin me ina MMA fight.

16. El Gato

El Gato Green Belt

Sounds like a sand bagger ! Just keep on keeping on don't give up .

17. Mark Allen

Mark Allen Enforcer

Often we can learn alot more from a defeat than we can from a victory. I know that goes nowhere im making you feel better, Somebody up-thread said it well, the guy who sand-bagged and went home with a win...what kind of win? Torrneys are like that, always have been, always will be. You are in and going now, keep training hard and dont look back!

18. wOg

wOg Burien Top Team

I lost my first gi tournament fight last Saturday. Submission by armbar.

I'd been training for about three weeks. What sucks is that there were only two of us between 159-170, so I didn't get to see the guy who beat me fight anybody else.

In some ways, the experience of being at the tournament all day and seeing all the different fighters was more helpful than the experience of my fight. Then again, we'll see at the next tournament!

19. David Kless

David Kless Green Belt Professional Fighter

Well I've never had a grappling match before but I can imagine your depressed over it. Hey guy it could have been worse man, in my first amature mma bout I was damn near knocked out before the reff came in and stoped the fight. That was in front of a couple thousand people, and it was because of a couple roookie mistakes that I promised myself I wouldn't commit. Just remember how it feels guy, and keep reminding yourself when your training, just so you don't forget.

20. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

I'm there with you, mate. Playing in a Judo comp on the w/e and lost the first fight by throwing myself (dont frigging ask) for ippon after being 3 yuko's up. Then the bloke I lost to lost his second match by submission so I had on fight and that was it.

You just gotta pick yourself up, dust yourself off & train hard for next time....