I just took my first BJJ class, and boy are my arms tired.

Rayzak2000

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went here today...
http://www.grbjj.com/

I e-mailed them, and was told I could stop by and watch a class, see if it was for me.

Lying bastards!

The second I walked through the door, they had me a Gi doing cardio and learning how to pass the guard! So, here I am, three hours later, and I can't work upright... but I feel like a million bucks! I've wanted to do this since I was 14!

I know I'll get flamed by whitebelts now for whatever reasons, but I don't care. It was great.

i just flew it from ny, and boy are my arms tired!

Awesome shit man u train on the Westside of MI im over on the east side at www.srjja.com

the ribieros work us like crazy

VitorBelly said:
Awesome shit man u train on the Westside of MI im over on the east side at www.srjja.com

the ribieros work us like crazy

I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it for very long. The $ a month (don't know if it's right to post membership) and for equipment I should honestly save it up for my Kid that's comming in December and some car repair. That, and I'm really in pain right now. i'm sure that gets less each time you are there, but I can't see myself ever competing. I do want to go back at least a few more times so I don't feel like a pussy.

Congrats on going man. Also, congrats on the kid...my bday is in December as well.

lostdog000 said:
i just flew it from ny, and boy are my arms tired!

ba da bawm (drum sound)

Take my wife. Please.

Lol..

ur usin 2 much strngth i tap you out boy

fu eff off..

Just kidding, had to when I saw the word flame. Hell yeah, congrats man you gotta do it, if it's something you've wanted to do since you were 14 hey man find a way. And the kid can pay for itself (kidding)

isn't much money equipment wise in JJ generally and I'm sure you can come up with the monthly tuition..

Also the pain is just your muscles getting used to the workout. Feels awesome, doesn't it?

it's ok to post membership.

for instance i only pay $30/month, and after that they raised to $45 for students and $55 for non-students.

that's fairly reasonable for 5 classes a week with muy thai, and boxing there as well as some weights.

Rayzak2000 said:
I went here today...

I e-mailed them, and was told I could stop by and watch a class, see if it was for me.

Lying bastards!

The second I walked through the door, they had me a Gi doing cardio and learning how to pass the guard! So, here I am, three hours later, and I can't work upright... but I feel like a million bucks! I've wanted to do this since I was 14!

I know I'll get flamed by whitebelts now for whatever reasons, but I don't care. It was great.

That's funny. Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I went to a judo club and sat and watched while a very helpful woman (a black belt who taught the kids' classes) explained everything I wanted to know.

That was a Tuesday. The following Thursday, I checked out a BJJ club. I thought it would be the same sort of deal: sit, watch and listen. WRONG! The instructor said hello, gave me a pair of his fight shorts and I was on the mat!

Guess where I decided to start training!

Rayzak2000 said:
I went here today...

Lying bastards!

For my trial class I walked up and spoke with the instructor who said "you're working out tonight right?" I guess I had a choice in the matter... but not much of one :)

A couple minutes later I was wearing someones GI who hadn't washed it in a few classes learning that I didn't really learn much from all those instructional videos afterall.

My first class I learned to armbar from the guard. I couldn't remember the last time I was standing on my neck. Just watching the guys move around on the ground and looking comfortable there was weird to me.

Six months later I fit in just fine. I've lost weight, gained muscle, and gained skill. It's a good thing.

BTW, newborns aren't really that expensive if you're insured and the wife brestfeeds. We had family and friends that bought most of the regular clothes and some furniture. We just paid for diapers, onesies, etc. Everybody makes out the cost of babies to insane but it was about $20 a week for us. As they grow and turn 3, 6, etc. they cost a lot more. Heck, a stupid Trollz doll costs $20 let alone her food, clothes, etc. If your kid isn't healthy be prepared to shell out the big bucks. Good luck.

Rayzak2000 said:
I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with it for very long. The $ a month (don't know if it's right to post membership) and for equipment I should honestly save it up for my Kid that's comming in December and some car repair. That, and I'm really in pain right now. i'm sure that gets less each time you are there, but I can't see myself ever competing. I do want to go back at least a few more times so I don't feel like a pussy.

If you want it bad enough you will keep with it. You can pretty much do anything as long as you make it a priority.

If your not going to be consistant... youll never get better. Youll just be one of those guys who says they train jiu jitsu.. then when the average joe challenges you to wrestle your stuck squirming under him like the lying sack of shit you are..... ha!

seen it alot.

But on a postive note its awsome that your finally training. Just be consistant. Keep training and dont stop. If you run short on money find a way to pay.. or talk to the school find out if there is a payment plan or something you can do to help them to make it cheaper for you. It has to be something you want.. Jiu jitsu is probably one of the toughest Martial arts you could have picked to get good at..... I would say Bjj, Judo, sambo. All very tough to learn.. More difficult then thw rest of TDMA

Only two valid excuses for NOT training. Your injured/sick OR a death in the family..... there is always a way aroudn those other things.

well once you understand your hips and thoghs will be killin you

Enron Exec. said:
well once you understand your hips and thoghs will be killin you

Exactly... once you get better... it's your hips, thighs, and abs that will be tired and not so much your arms.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Exactly... once you get better... it's your hips, thighs, and abs that will be tired and not so much your arms.

Haha, I've just got to that stage now!

My thighs especially, from rolling with bigger, stronger guys.

I never imagined how much I would enjoy BJJ.

damn, i remember going to my first bjj class and being completely fascinated and addicted immediately....i also got my ass kicked something fierce. seeing all the positions you get into in sport bjj and how higher belts flowed was just crazy to me.

the most addicting physical activity ive ever done.
even my 6 year old nephew say jj in a brazilian accent
"uncle, where are you going? are you going to zhooooo zhii sooooo? "

wOg said:
That's funny. Pretty much the same thing happened to me. I went to a judo club and sat and watched while a very helpful woman (a black belt who taught the kids' classes) explained everything I wanted to know.

That was a Tuesday. The following Thursday, I checked out a BJJ club. I thought it would be the same sort of deal: sit, watch and listen. WRONG! The instructor said hello, gave me a pair of his fight shorts and I was on the mat!

Guess where I decided to start training!
Where?

Back