I just don't get that same buzz with Jones!!

HespectNutting

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Good solid win for the champ tonight. And let me make it clear that i have no hate or anything towards the man at all. My only issue is he claims he wants to be the "greatest of all-time" and all that stuff but whenever i watch him fight i just don't get that buzz of excitement or have the feeling that i'm watching someone indisputably "great" like when i used to see Fedor and Anderson in their prime.

With Jon it's like watching Wladimir klitschko. Extremely dominant with immense physical gifts and solid game plans. There's no thrills...you know what you're going to get with him (front kicks to the knee, one or two spinning elbows, one spinning back kick etc) but with Andy and Fedor there was a sense of "anything can happen at anytime" and to be honest that's probably what separated those two from the rest.

Being methodical is all good and it's clearly working for Jon..but an artist with different colours will always draw a bigger crowd. The stats may weigh more in favour with Jones when his career is over...but i sense in years to come he will be viewed more like a Rocky Marciano than a Mohammed Ali. A record to die for but lacking in gold dust and compelling moments.

If the truth be told i don't see much growth in the Jones that destroyed Shogun and the Jones i saw tonight...if anything he's just less exciting.

He' s had fights that are dominating performances, fought his way out of trouble, and back and fiery dog fights. All of which he emerged victorious. Just like Fedor, Anderson, and Gsp. What more could you all for?

he's had as many compelling moments as fedor

most of fedors career was just him dominating guys

Jones is the most creative and versatile fighter in MMA history.

I think Jon fights the way he needs to against every fighter he faces. Not every fight will lend itself to a flashy finish. Part of that is what makes him so damn good. Also when you look at it as him beating Cormier at his own specialty that is impressive in its own way. It was not flashy, but he just controlled an Olympic wrestler for five rounds.

It's because he's not aesthetically pleasing. He doesn't slip and dip punches. He doesn't counter like Silva or Aldo. He doesn't display elite striking skills. He's unorthodox, but when his unorthodox strikes don't land effectively or land at all, they come off looking weak.

He's basically the Lebron James of MMA. Extremely effective, but doesn't have the grace of a Kobe or a Derrick Rose. Just damn effective.

For, me personally, its hard to get excited for a Jones fight because I don't see anyone ever giving him a challenge (aside from Gustaffson). Same with Silva. I only got excited for the 2nd Sonnen fight and the Weidman fights.

Cannot stand Jones personality, and would like to see a few less eyepokes from him, but I cannot pretend like he isn't the best mma competitor I've ever seen...the guy can adapt to anyone's gameplan... we've seen it so many times...I hate to give him the title of GOAT, but if the title is to be given, he has made the best case for it of anyone Imo...having said that, Ma, I can't wait to see someone beat the smirk off his face someday.

I got a buzz watching GSP point fight

A buzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

I agree

Although he may surprise you sometimes with some stoppages, but its mostly some spinning back Kick & some kick to the knee.

Back