I have a Watch question

fightingrabbit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Seiko watch. Amazon has the band listed as "alligator leather", but when i look on the inside of the band it says "calf". Could it be that just the outer layer is 'alligator' and the inside is 'calf'? Although i didn't get it from amazon, it's the same watch and i assume it'd be the same band anywhere you got it from?

large_seiko_neoclassicwhitedialstainlesssteelmenswatchskp373_skp373p1.jpg

My guess is "alligator" is the name for the pattern they've stamped on the normal cow leather band. No alligators were harmed in the making of your watch.

you can return it saying you wanted alligator leather. Amazon is pretty cool like that

Mine said dinosaur leather, but I knew they were lying.

Real alligator doesn't come cheap. You're probably not going to find it on any watch under 1k, unless you put it on yourself.

What you have there is "alligator grain." It's calf with the pattern of alligator.

If I were you, I would just keep the watch the way it is. Unless you're opting for a lighter strap, it isn't worth it to pay $100+ for a genuine alligator strap. Since it's black, you're not going to see a huge difference (assuming that the embossing is decent on the watch you have right now).

Last edited:
My guess is "alligator" is the name for the pattern they've stamped on the normal cow leather band. No alligators were harmed in the making of your watch.

that's probably the most logical conclusion. if it really was alligator, i don't think it'd look like that at all, and it'd be far more expensive.

i used to have a pair of bad ass adidas shoes that were white with that pattern in red. i left them in the garage once and the got wet and moldy :icon_sad:

Real alligator doesn't come cheap. You're probably not going to find it on any watch under 1k, unless you put it on yourself.

What you have there is "alligator grain." It's calf with the pattern of alligator.

So i've been had? How much do alligator bands go for? I mean, i found it strange when no place other than amazon listed it as 'alligator leather'.

It's still a nice watch though.

This... Real alligator isn't referred to as "leather". Bummer, maybe you can return it?

I'd answer your question, but I don't have the time.

So i've been had? How much do alligator bands go for? I mean, i found it strange when no place other than amazon listed it as 'alligator leather'.

Tt's still a nice watch though.

I know for Omega, Breitling, etc. they are around $200. You could probably find an "off brand" one on eBay for $100. As I said in the other post, since it's black, it's not really worth it to pay all that extra money for genuine alligator. You're not going to see a significant difference (in terms of aesthetics) that would warrant paying that much extra money on a piece of leather. If you were planning on getting a lighter color strap (such as burgundy or light brown), then it might be something to consider.

i think the TS should buy another strap like Det said a light brown or burgundy strap would look good on this watch, pretty much a new watch.

Didn't the "leather" part of the description make you question if it was alligator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back