I had Surgery today

davejitsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll be out for 3 months which means no Mundials. Torn achilles and broken bone behind the Talus (os trigonum) was removed. The worst part is I had a quality Bown Belt lined up to teach, while I am sidelined and he backed out at the last minute to take another offer somewhere else. I feel like I am leaving my guys down. I have three quality blues who can step in for now, but summer is heavy tourney season and they need the best training possible....damn.

Tough break man. There's really not much you can do though - injuries happen and if you can't get a guy in their to sub for you, all you can do is coach from the sidelines while your best technical students demonstrate. Play full-time coach for a while - it may give you more time to focus on your students when you aren't worried about your own training in the slightest. Plan out detailed workouts for the guys on your team planning to compete, set up drills, plan technique sessions that focus on the specific strengths and weaknesses of different guys in your gym each day, and make them the best they can be while you work on getting healthy. Your free time can be spent thinking about your student's games and how to make them better instead of thinking about your own game and how to make yourself better.

Good idea DaRuckus. That is a great idea to make individual game plans for my students. I'll get started on that tomorrow, when the meds kick down...haha

Tough break. (No pun intended) I was injured 10 months out of 12 two years ago. It might not be any solace, but I actually think it will help me in the long run.

You seem dedicated to your students. That will keep you busy.

Good luck and keep us updated.

b

I'll be out for 3 months which means no Mundials. Torn achilles and broken bone behind the Talus (os trigonum) was removed. The worst part is I had a quality Bown Belt lined up to teach, while I am sidelined and he backed out at the last minute to take another offer somewhere else. I feel like I am leaving my guys down. I have three quality blues who can step in for now, but summer is heavy tourney season and they need the best training possible....damn.

Dude, that stinks. Hope you have a quick recovery.

I second the suggestion to coach from the sidelines. When I first started training, my MT coach was out with a torn ACL, but he was at every class, refining techniques and making little corrections. It was definitely beneficial.

Thanks for all the advise and encouragement. The injury was mostly caused a while ago training and I never took care of it. Lived on c-shots

I ruptured my achilles tendon last year. Sucked major ass, especially since I lived on campus and had to crutch to all my class (and thats even if I woke up to make my 8am class seeing as I was on meds also...)

Right when you get out the boot ease your way back into the gym and make sure to get some solid rehab going.

That is bad luck.

Get better soon and put your all (minus the foot) into prepping your students.

They will help you in this tough time and appreciate your help as well.

I ruptured my achilles tendon last year. Sucked major ass, especially since I lived on campus and had to crutch to all my class (and thats even if I woke up to make my 8am class seeing as I was on meds also...)

Right when you get out the boot ease your way back into the gym and make sure to get some solid rehab going.
Once u were in the airboot, how long until u were able to do drills? I was told no shit for at least 6 wks, but who knows. This oxycoton is not working either, don't know why ppl steal it...haha

Once u were in the airboot, how long until u were able to do drills? I was told no shit for at least 6 wks, but who knows. This oxycoton is not working either, don't know why ppl steal it...haha

take it with a few shots, then post

Back