I got this backwards armbar, now what?

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok, look at the armbar I have, the guy is face-down. How do I finish or finalize this? (not joking)

Somehow I sometimes end up in this position while rolling, and wondering if there are any quick finishes once you've got this "sunk"

Hell, let's see... The standard photograph you linked doesn't show, but the MSpaint seems to come through. To figure things out, are we talking about a normal hip-to-elbow armbar, just in an awkward face-down position, or are we talking about an armbar that's ass-backwards where you have a normal looking armbar, but your opponent or sparring partner is facing the other direction, and the 'inside' of their elbow joint is pressed to your hip area? Want to know a bit more about the situation before I rattle off some details for you.

swtich to omo-plata or take your right leg underhook it under his chin, make sure his thumb is facing down. extende his arm up while putting downward pressure with your leg.

go -north/ south kimura.

It's exactly like a classic armbar only he is lying on his belly/face-down instead of back/face-up

Your pevlis is basically on the bicep, so you obviously cannot finish it like a normal armbar (pinch knees, thumb up, raise pelvis).

Keep his arm immobilized between your legs and crank it "sideways" against the inside of your thigh. Twist the wrist so the thumb is pointing away from the thigh you're torquing against.

This works well on newbies, but I think anyone at blue belt or above could get out fairly easily.

2om30 has most of the basic ideas printed out. By hooking your right leg(as per the illustration you posted) and sitting up, you could move into an omoplata-style shoulder lock. If you get your arms closer up towards the tricep, you could perform a fairly unstable(amateur-catcher only) armlock by pinning the hand to your chest and 'pulling' the tricep while arching your back, instead of raising your hips, to put some tension on the elbow and possibly get the tap.

If you're good on your transition skills, you could switch over to some standard armbars from there. The first you would need to be most careful with, but make sure you have the arm secured, and mostly just 'roll over' the arm, and you'd be set to move your right leg across the face, pull your body over, and you'd be face down, matching your partner, for a standard armbar. If you're face down, you have a harder time controlling your force and weight distribution though, so make sure you don't slip and lose balance or press too hard against the elbow joint, as you're laying on top of it, rather than underneath it this way..

A little bit more technically difficult would be to catch the arm by hooking your right leg, sit up into an omoplata, then push up, rotate, and land on the OPPOSITE side of your opponent. With a 180 degree rotation, you'll land on your back, and your opponent will be laying on their back, ready for the textbook armbar. This one would be rather difficult for a beginner, but with a bit of practice, should perfectly solve your problem, especially if this is something you end up doing on a regular basis, like you said. This illustration is a bit more... Difficult to understand? I'm not too good at MSpaint.

The second one you'll want to take slow until you get better as well. There's some risk, if you move too fast, of accidentally pulling and really cranking an omoplata. If you do get the omoplata, or are good with that lock to begin with, this would be the best solution. Otherwise, if you're still working on transitional experience and standard locks, hopefully this one can help you out.

First image is the roll-over to armlock, Second image is the omoplata and spin.

yeah none of those pics work for me.. sry ide love to help

Guards said:
2om30 has most of the basic ideas printed out. By hooking your right leg(as per the illustration you posted) and sitting up, you could move into an omoplata-style shoulder lock. If you get your arms closer up towards the tricep, you could perform a fairly unstable(amateur-catcher only) armlock by pinning the hand to your chest and 'pulling' the tricep while arching your back, instead of raising your hips, to put some tension on the elbow and possibly get the tap.

If you're good on your transition skills, you could switch over to some standard armbars from there. The first you would need to be most careful with, but make sure you have the arm secured, and mostly just 'roll over' the arm, and you'd be set to move your right leg across the face, pull your body over, and you'd be face down, matching your partner, for a standard armbar. If you're face down, you have a harder time controlling your force and weight distribution though, so make sure you don't slip and lose balance or press too hard against the elbow joint, as you're laying on top of it, rather than underneath it this way..

A little bit more technically difficult would be to catch the arm by hooking your right leg, sit up into an omoplata, then push up, rotate, and land on the OPPOSITE side of your opponent. With a 180 degree rotation, you'll land on your back, and your opponent will be laying on their back, ready for the textbook armbar. This one would be rather difficult for a beginner, but with a bit of practice, should perfectly solve your problem, especially if this is something you end up doing on a regular basis, like you said. This illustration is a bit more... Difficult to understand? I'm not too good at MSpaint.

The second one you'll want to take slow until you get better as well. There's some risk, if you move too fast, of accidentally pulling and really cranking an omoplata. If you do get the omoplata, or are good with that lock to begin with, this would be the best solution. Otherwise, if you're still working on transitional experience and standard locks, hopefully this one can help you out.

First image is the roll-over to armlock, Second image is the omoplata and spin.
Those pics are gold. I like in the second set.. how they being armbarred has a smile on his face until the third frame.... and then has one of the :-O faces hahahah

If I'm understanding this right, you can abandon the armbar, and instead attempt a reverse kimura.

Omoplata is easiest, but you could also slap on a reverse triangle pretty easy.

OK guys, thanks for the tips. I tried something else, if the arm is straight Pinch the bicep with your knees, you can pin their wrist against your head and shoulder and pin the forearm to your chest with your opposite hand which grabs the gi for support. Sit-up a bit and thier arm is now like a bridge. Then pressure is applied from both hand down on the elbow to finished. Probably only gonna work on newbs cuz theyz no real leverage.

I like the reverse triangle and would need someone to show me the details of the omoplata to jump over 180 classic armbar thing.

Cardio said:
OK guys, thanks for the tips. I tried something else, if the arm is straight Pinch the bicep with your knees, you can pin their wrist against your head and shoulder and pin the forearm to your chest with your opposite hand which grabs the gi for support. Sit-up a bit and thier arm is now like a bridge. Then pressure is applied from both hand down on the elbow to finished. Probably only gonna work on newbs cuz theyz no real leverage.

I like the reverse triangle and would need someone to show me the details of the omoplata to jump over 180 classic armbar thing.
you answered your own question. forget about changing positions. Jiu-Jitsu is about taking what you are given. keep his wrist pinned against the side of your neck and shoulder, clasp both hands under the elbow. Knees together, pull down, bend your torso forward, he'll tap.

I have to agree with the people saying omoplata - that's that i'd do from there every time

Turn his wrist clockwise..

Looks like a inverted armbar to me.Try and plant your legs on ground and push with all ur strengh.Trust me it will make them tap no matter how tough they are

Back