I got misquoted in a newspaper article about BJJ!

David_Jacobs

TheRockBJJ.com
@purple
Reaction score
Hurray!

This article is about one of my students who won a gold medal down in Brazil. It's a great article and is awesome free advertising for the Yamasaki Academy so I'm not too upset by some of the factual errors or the fact that one of the quotes attributed to me makes me sound like I can't speak english.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=56073&cat=105

Fear and Fighting in Brazil
Oakton resident brings home gold medal from Brazil.

BJ Koubaroulis
September 22, 2005

Standing in his uniform underneath the treacherous August sun in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Mike Casey couldn't help but sweat. The laser beaming down on him was the least of his worries. He was in for the fight of his life.

Casey, an Oakton resident and blue belt in Brazilian Jujitsu, stood patiently in the warm-up circle at the World Championships of Brazilian Jujitsu. He was surrounded by 1,200 competitors from all over the world, segregated onto eight mats that were action-packed with fights from sunup to sundown. All fighters were in search of one thing

Remember: The secret to jiu jitsu is

SHOW TRUE GOOD!

i wish to "show true good" in all aspects of my life.
Dave, that will be a classic statement, but the article was good. at least he sticked it out, a lot of guys skip the absolute after a loss in thier wieght division. congrats to him

Yes, I keep a jar of 'True Good' around just in case.

Cool read Thanks

Good read but one thing.

Wtf @ Japanese style cardio "Guerilla Cardio" isn't that just some american version of Tabata intervals?

David_Jacobs said:
After a three month period in which he stripped his diet of all refined sugars and carbohydrates, admittedly neglected his family, and practiced five days a week for hours which included a Japanese-style cardio program called Guerilla Cardio, Casey spent $1,000 just to get to Rio De Janeiro. He was making sure he didn't miss his chance, for any reason.[/COLOR]

I have no idea what guerilla cardio is. I'll have to ask Mike.

David_Jacobs said:
stood patiently in the warm-up circle at the World Championships of Brazilian Jujitsu...

a gold medal in the full-contact mixed martial arts sport.

That is my favorite part.

Hey, We had a Yamasaki academy down in Fairfax Va. I didnt go because I thought it was too expensive though, should have went there and kept training in kickboxing. thnx for the post

b0b said:
Originally Posted by David_Jacobs
stood patiently in the warm-up circle at the World Championships of Brazilian Jujitsu...

a gold medal in the full-contact mixed martial arts sport.

That is my favorite part.

Like I said, there are some slight factual issues, but when was the last time you read an article that was so positive about BJJ? I have no complaints.

SHOW TRUE GOOD!

Back