I Got Dominated Tonight..

GracieStudent

Orange Belt
Reaction score
wow that sucks. feeling helpless against the strength and skill of another fighter. first time for everything. once he broke my guard the first time, he had the blueprint and it was smooth sailing for him! piss me off. oh well. WELL, at least i got to see GSP roll for a bit in the no-gi class after mine. more on that in the mma forum. i feel like shit

Yeah well at least it was a learning experience. Just keep training and you will get better.

If you take it personally, you will soon quit and join the legions of other former students that gave up too soon and missed the joys of bjj.

johil d'o said:
If you take it personally, you will soon quit and join the legions of other former students that gave up too soon and missed the joys of bjj.

that's true. i think the only thing that can stop me is an injury (not like i'm not injured now) knock on wood. but damn he was strong fast and explosive. made me feel like a biatch. but i will tell u the truth i cannot lie. he only made me more focused. :icon_evil

Hmm.. I get dominated all the time and it rocks! It was cool to see a UFC figher on the mat getting the same respect as everyuone else though.

the only way you truly learn is by gettin dominated.... i go to practice and dont win any matches but i've learned more from training in the past weeks then i have in my last 4 years of grappling

pitviper259 said:
the only way you truly learn is by gettin dominated.... i go to practice and dont win any matches but i've learned more from training in the past weeks then i have in my last 4 years of grappling

why do you think you've learned more in the last couple of weeks?

I agree with pitviper259.

I always learn more from getting dominated than I do from dominating. Royce Gracie in his Top Game book talks about training with guys at all different levels. For a two months I could only make the Advanced class because of my work schedule which made for a very humbling experience. I got one submission in that entire time but my game improve more in those two months than in the six months prior. Imagine going to class week after week just knowing you are basically a glorifed tapping dummy.

No one likes to work their weaknesses but I was forced to because advance guys kept exposing them. Just do to the sheer number of bad positions I was put in I had to improve my escapes. My guard game improved as well because these guys were always passing it.

I always ask guy questions on how I could improve my game. Most guys are cool and will give you tips.

It's all good

well, fuck me...are u talking about friday night's 630 class soid?

GracieStudent said:
why do you think you've learned more in the last couple of weeks?

because i am mostly a garage grappler, but in the last couple weeks i've been training with a jjm blue belt who has just dominated me. I had wrestled for a long time and done fairly well in tourneys so i thought i was better than i am, after these past few weeks i've learned that there is still so much more that i need to learn, and IMO the only reason i learned this was through gettin my ass kicked by the blue belt

colinm said:
yeah man...GSP has been in the house for a few classes as of late. He said he has so much to learn from me, and that I am incredible

fightme said:
I agree with pitviper259.

I always learn more from getting dominated than I do from dominating. Royce Gracie in his Top Game book talks about training with guys at all different levels. For a two months I could only make the Advanced class because of my work schedule which made for a very humbling experience. I got one submission in that entire time but my game improve more in those two months than in the six months prior. Imagine going to class week after week just knowing you are basically a glorifed tapping dummy.

No one likes to work their weaknesses but I was forced to because advance guys kept exposing them. Just do to the sheer number of bad positions I was put in I had to improve my escapes. My guard game improved as well because these guys were always passing it.

I always ask guy questions on how I could improve my game. Most guys are cool and will give you tips.

It's all good

yea you're right.

colinm said:
Yeah.. But he'll be here for a few more days. I think he's gonna only be doing the nogi classes. I'm not sure but he's preparing for his fight with BJ.

If the guy is way more experienced then me.. I dont mind getting dominated. It's actually amazing to me and exciting when somebody who's trained/worked so hard kicks my ass. It inspires me to train harder so i can one day be like them.

It's almost like I admire them when they can just own me. Just appreciate their technique and look to them as somebody you can learn from.

the key to learning grappling is to see everything as a positive experience from which you can learn from. thats what i try to do anyways.

I agree. It is great to learn from people by seeing how they beat you.

Soid said:
Yeah.. But he'll be here for a few more days. I think he's gonna only be doing the nogi classes. I'm not sure but he's preparing for his fight with BJ.

thats fucking awesome...i'm gonna have to make tomorrow's afternoon no gi class in hopes of rolling with him.

colinm said:
thats fucking awesome...i'm gonna have to make tomorrow's afternoon no gi class in hopes of rolling with him.

yea maybe he'll knee you in the head my accident and u can tell your girl GSP did this to me baby!!! wooo!

yeah, the first competition I ever went to I thought I was going to get completely schooled

Back