I don't understand why people said TJ had no chance.

It's obvious why people thought he had no chance, because he lacks the experience of Barao and Barao in his previous fights has been a beast against top level opponents. I don't think anyone, and I mean anyone, not even Alpha Male, expected such a dominant performance, and rightly so. His style just matched up so perfectly to Renan, too fast, too many angles.

Most people on here bought into the Dana White hype about Barao being the p4p #1.

One reason: Hype Trains.

Why did all of Sherdog think Browne was going to walk through Werdum?

Why did all of Sherdog think Overeem was going to come in and own everyone?

Why was Todd Duffee hailed as the "new breed" of the UFC HW division after one freaking fight?

Hype trains. Hype trains everywhere. It's ok to say "the odds of fighter A beating fighter B are good" or "I think so and so has the better chance in this fight" but here in Shertard land we get people talking out of their asses saying "OMG so and so is such a can and fighter A beats them 105 times out of 100!"

Every sherdogger is a genius in hindsight.

I love how everyone claims that they knew TJ had a shot, and that they knew Barao wasn't as good as everyone made him see. Bullshit.

TJ looked literally three times the fighter he did in his previous fights. It's like he used of those DBZ time capsules and trained his stand up for 10 years in between fights.
Barao on the other hand looked unstoppable against guys who were running through the division like Faber and McDonald.

Most logical people watching both fighters previous fights would think Barao is pretty heavy favorite. I'm not saying everyone was giving TJ no chance at all, but I remember most posters were giving him no chance at all. The few that were giving TJ a chance though he would win using his wrestling. I only remember one poster who thought TJ could use his angles, head movement, and footwork to win this fight, and even he knew that it was a reach.

That's why fights aren't fought on paper because TJ looked excellent. The only people who rationally could of thought he was capable of that great of a performance are people who watch him train/train with him daily. Of course there are those few fans/haters who could of called this, but they were likely choosing more on emotions than logic.

I just can't see how someone could of rationally thought TJ would put on a performance like that based on their past fights. This is why I love this sport because anything can literally happen. TJ proved that he is not only alot better than he has shown when he fights to his full capabilities, but that he is ELITE . Good for him.
I think this sums it up well.

I think anyone who's been watching MMA for a fair amount of time, understands that anyone can have a chance. The thing is, barring some fluke, very few people expected TJ to outright dominate Barao en route to a decisive finish. Assuming you were Faber and had that much faith in your own guy that he'd at least win, I doubt even he assumed it would play out the way it did, as it was highly unlikely.

If you did have enough foresight to predict the play-out and outcome of this fight, then you have some serious precognitive talents, when it comes to this. I'd humbly say try your hand and predict some future fights ahead of time.

I heard this a lot. I like most people, thought he was the underdog, but only because of how good and dominant Barao has been for so long.

But to me, it was never a squash match, and I told all my friends at the bar with me. They were like "Who is this guy?"

I'll admit I hadn't seen much of Dillashaw, but I did see his amazing performance vs Mike Easton in January and I was IMMEDIATELY impressed with how technical his striking was. I knew the guy was a serious threat based just off the level of his technique.

I get the impression that most people thought this was a squash match along the lines of Griffin vs Silva, and I'm a little disappointed in my fellow MMA fans for not seeing just how great Dillashaw was before this fight.

Unless you have a post from before the fight stating those sentiments, stfu. It's easy to say this shiz post fight. No one saw this coming, stop pretending you did.

Sherdog a few days before the fight:

"Why is Barao fighting TJ"
"Barao will smash him"
"Barao P4P"
"Why pay for this PPV, stupid matchup" etc, etc

Sherdog a few days after the fight:

"I always knew TJ was great"
"Of course TJ won, I knew it al along"
"Barao isn't that good" etc, etc

Oh Sherdog, don't ever change

Seriously this.

I admit, I thought it was going to be a routine victory for Barao. Especially as I didn't think that Dillashaw had shown that he was as good as Barao's previous victims in Faber, McDonald etc. And Barao is so well-rounded and ELITE everywhere (in stand up and on the ground!).

Dillashaw fought the fight of his life that night, he was like Bruce Lee and Muhammad Ali in one!! Just completely dismantled Barao and lit him up. It was beautiful to watch.

One reason: Hype Trains.

Why did all of Sherdog think Browne was going to walk through Werdum?

Why did all of Sherdog think Overeem was going to come in and own everyone?

Why was Todd Duffee hailed as the "new breed" of the UFC HW division after one freaking fight?

Hype trains. Hype trains everywhere. It's ok to say "the odds of fighter A beating fighter B are good" or "I think so and so has the better chance in this fight" but here in Shertard land we get people talking out of their asses saying "OMG so and so is such a can and fighter A beats them 105 times out of 100!"

So much wrong in this post, I don't know where to start.

Barao beat Faber, who was thought to be the top 135er at Alpha Male, twice. Considering that Faber has beaten everyone except Barao and Cruz impressively and TJ had never fought a top opponent, this was a reasonable conclusion. Show me where you put money on Dillashaw. Quit trying to sound cool. You suck.

I'm going to laugh at you and everyone else who knew how great TJ was all along if Barao comes back and smashes him in a rematch. Or if he loses to someone else for that matter. It is perfectly possible that Saturday was the best performance of his career and it won't ever happen again. I don't want him to lose because I like him a lot more than most BWs, but I would certainly appreciate all of you morons looking stupid.

Barao beat Faber, who was thought to be the top 135er at Alpha Male, twice. Considering that Faber has beaten everyone except Barao and Cruz impressively and TJ had never fought a top opponent, this was a reasonable conclusion. Show me where you put money on Dillashaw. Quit trying to sound cool. You suck.

Seriously. TJ Dillashaw got KO'd by John Dodson on TUF (Dodson is a good fighter mind you). TJ had some impressive victories, but against weaker opposition to what Faber and Barao had been facing.

I thought the expectations for what was going to happen in the TJ v Barao fight was fair and just.

Most people on here bought into the Dana White hype about Barao being the p4p #1.

If only we had been as knowledgeable as you, oh "wise one!" :rolleyes:

Barao wasn't "over-hyped" by Dana, he legitimately created his own hype. By ya know, going 9 F**KING years without losing, impressively dominating finishing Faber, Wineland and McDonald in his last 3 fights and being a beast.

Anyone saying "everyone was fooled by Dana, haha, end of story" is a dum-dum!

There were a lot of people talking about how they'd never seen Dillashaw fight before.

And most people buy into win streaks over how the two fighters actually match up.

I get the impression that most people thought this was a squash match along the lines of Griffin vs Silva, and I'm a little disappointed in my fellow MMA fans for not seeing just how great Dillashaw was before this fight.

Who were all these people saying Griffin vs Silva was a squash match? That's revisionist history at its finest.

Well he came from TUF, he lost that, has a loss to a 125lbr and never has really stood out before. And the fact that Aldo and Barao have beaten every Team Alpha Male fighter thrown at em. And no one even thought Dillashaw was the best fighter at their camp, he was kind of a sleeper.

Why is it so hard to believe that people gave Dillashaw a small chance if none?

Because I barely ever post. But sure I'll get into the predictions game in the future.

Quality thread, your good poster. My favorite post made by you is this : "She's cute and her muscles are hot.

Been picking her to beat Ronda for a long time now. She's the uncrowned WMMA champ. Bet on it. " (talking about Mcmann)

Barao was considered maybe the best p4p and TJ was 4th guy at BW it was so normal he is a huge huge underdog

A: It's really THIS simple, and
B: It's easy to wait til an underdog has a big upset to make your declarations. YES, I feel he was given less of a chance by the average fan than he deserved prior, the numbers painted a less than probable case for TJ, and being that TJ is in a camp anchored by Uriah, who was just beaten by Renan, it makes sense.

Because Barao was more experienced at the top level of the game and TJ wasn't. Is that so hard to understand?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because Barao was on a 30+ fight winning streak prior and widely regarded as a top 3 p4p fighter.

I don't understand why you don't understand.

I rated Dillashaw higher than most, but I still thought Barao was gonna finish him.

The only thing more annoying than people completely dismissing TJ are those who are claiming that everyone else just bought into the UFC hype.

Barao is a proven elite fighter, TJ was a rising prospect. Most everyone thought Barao was going to run through him. We were treated to a pleasant surprise last weekend. MMA is like that.

Back