I decided to beautify my yard.

346582536901f5342445cdc37db05a20.jpg
CroppedImage340340-stamped-concrete-patio-allentown-pa.jpg

Retired concrete finisher here. If you can afford it, get some stamped concrete all around, it will look really nice with the texture you have on the side of your house. Even just a real basic textured pad would look awesome in there after a nice acid staining. There are a lot of colors you can choose from.

But I'm not certain what I want to do.
Help me out sherbros.

If your idea makes it into my yard I will immortalize it with a label of your tag in front of it.
Here's what we have to work with.
View attachment 764525
This area here get about 5 hrs of sun per day. Need shade loving things.

View attachment 764526
About 8 hours of sun. Already has a pear tree

View attachment 764527
10 or so hours of sun. I have chives and garlic in the pots and those are grapes on the fence.

View attachment 764528
The largest of the flower beds. I have planted a bunch of wild flowers which should start germinating wens or so.

View attachment 764530
The brick used to extend to that wall. I tore it all out and mixed a ton of top soil and Pete moss so I could plant a lawn. Messed up the 1st time so had to re seed. Is beginning to come in now.

View attachment 764531
And of course my babies. They so cute. <Oku03>

Keep in mind this is northern California. So from here until November or so there is no rain. Temps can get as high as 105. Normally linger around 92-95.

I will update this as it comes together.

Please help a sherbro out

Those pots you're growing in, they got drainage holes? Never let yo shit sit in standing water. Drain drain drain!! Lookin good though.

I hear opium is super easy to grow.

It actually is. Where I grew up in Western WA, my childhood home had a patch of maybe 10 opium flowers. Cut at the flower and opium, or at least it's precursor chemical, bleeds out.

Never bothered doing anything with it, though. It takes like an acre of those flowers to produce a kilo of product, or some absurd ratio like that.

Get a hot tub
Invite bitches
Have fun
Rinse
Repeat

346582536901f5342445cdc37db05a20.jpg
CroppedImage340340-stamped-concrete-patio-allentown-pa.jpg

Retired concrete finisher here. If you can afford it, get some stamped concrete all around, it will look really nice with the texture you have on the side of your house. Even just a real basic textured pad would look awesome in there after a nice acid staining. There are a lot of colors you can choose from.
When the time permits I will absolutely be doing that. My wife wants it. So it will happen lol

Those pots you're growing in, they got drainage holes? Never let yo shit sit in standing water. Drain drain drain!! Lookin good though.

It actually is. Where I grew up in Western WA, my childhood home had a patch of maybe 10 opium flowers. Cut at the flower and opium, or at least it's precursor chemical, bleeds out.

Never bothered doing anything with it, though. It takes like an acre of those flowers to produce a kilo of product, or some absurd ratio like that.
Yep got drainage holes and today I drilled holes all throughout the sides of each pot.

Not a fan of transplanting. So I'm currently watering in a small circle around the seedlings. But only after the the top 1 inch is dry.

Get a hot tub
Invite bitches
Have fun
Rinse
Repeat
My friend gave me a intex pure spa as a gift. Just used it for the 1st time today.

Last edited:
I hear opium is super easy to grow.
TS in/is the wizzlebiz. You think that's news to him?

Wizzle... biz...
Wizzle...

P.s. is you a St. In NYC? If so, cool St.

Could do like a Japanese garden thing

522be869e0f6d2a030ff3980e73558c9.jpg

Get rid of that pathetic lawn and turn it into a garden. If you get full sun I would intermix veggies with flowers and shrubs. Add a drip irrigation system to conserve water and keep them thriving. I would maybe lay off the elephant ears though. You have quite enough.
I'm gonna make that a fucking lawn if it kills me. It me vs it and I ain't losing.

Now to the garden idea. Those 1st pictures I posted in the op. I have considered doing a garden in those areas. Think It would work with the conditions? I can always amend the soil to make it right. I just don't know about the sun per day factor.

Any thoughts on that?

Yep got drainage holes and today I drilled holes all throughout the sides of each pot.

Not a fan of transplanting. So I'm currently watering in a small circle around the seedlings. But only after the the top 1 inch is dry.

That's a good way to go. When I grew pot and the seedlings were real tiny, I misted them with a spray bottle and kept them shaded a lot of the time to gain strength.

How much water are you willing to spend?

Do you like any particular style of plant? Green plants? Flowering plants? Things you can eat?

Are you willing to take care of it or do you need low maintanence?

How much are you willing to spend on flowers?

What is the lowest temp in nc?

I'm growing shit pretty much on the opposite spectrum of california.. in november we had less than 10h of sun.. total..

I could probably give you some pointers but i need to know a little bit about what you want and what your climate is like..

i remember when Alpha decided to beautify her yard......

How much water are you willing to spend? Water isn't an issue. What ever it takes.

Do you like any particular style of plant? Green plants? Flowering plants? Things you can eat? All 3. Mostly green and flowering. However considering doing a veggie garden as well.

Are you willing to take care of it or do you need low maintanence? Daily care is good by me.

How much are you willing to spend on flowers?
Up to $1000

What is the lowest temp in nc?
This time of year. 45f

Lowest I've ever seen? 31 degrees at night. Thats rare though.

I'm growing shit pretty much on the opposite spectrum of california.. in november we had less than 10h of sun.. total..

I could probably give you some pointers but i need to know a little bit about what you want and what your climate is like..
I answered each in quote. Thanks for the help.

I'm gonna make that a fucking lawn if it kills me. It me vs it and I ain't losing.

Now to the garden idea. Those 1st pictures I posted in the op. I have considered doing a garden in those areas. Think It would work with the conditions? I can always amend the soil to make it right. I just don't know about the sun per day factor.

Any thoughts on that?

Depends on the direction. That first spot could be full sun or deep shade depending on the direction. Your soil looks pretty good on the surface and not clayish like mine. If it is, you can add peat moss and compost as amendments and buy some nice plants.

A good exercise is to visit nearby campuses and business parks and see what plants they are using. And stick with the general principle if starting with hedges in the back like yews, boxwoods, pencil holly, etc. Then in front mix in some shorter shrubs like nandina, baby boxwood, moutain laurel, dwarf azealia, drawf hydrangeas, etc. Then add in flowers and grasses. It creates that cascading look that just gets better over time as the plants mature.

The spacing is what we always get wrong. Proper spacing for perrenials looks terrible for the first 3 years. Or you can crowd them for a good initial look, and transplant later like I do.

Your spots are a little on the smaller width wise side so upright yews and pencil holly would make great hedges if you go that routes. Or just do perrenial flowers that bloom long and don't require deadheading.

Last edited:
You've got a similar climate to me. But opposite side of the world.
I don't know much about plants but I have been planting some screening trees in narrow, raised garden beds for privacy and aesthetic purposes.
I have used Lilly pillies (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygium_smithii) which are a beautiful screening or backdrop tree. They are fast growing, green all year round, respond well to pruning and also are very tolerant. They also produce a nice little berry which my daughter and dog love to eat which is very high in vitamin C.
The other variety I've planted is a clumping bamboo, variety slender weaver
Bambusa textilis gracilis
I love the look and feel of bamboo in the right spot. This variety is very controllable and provides a lovely green colour and texture to an outlook. It is also very tolerant to conditions and treatment and very prunable.

So if you needed a tree for backdrop, privacy screening, shade provision or anything similar let me know and I can post some photos of my trees if you'd like

Back