I can't handle my current GF's weed addiction.

smellmyfarts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking to here from potheads or other people that have been in this very situation before.

Long story short, I've been dating this girl for about a year now. I knew going into the relationship that she smoked a ton of weed, but ever since we moved in together, it's been driving me nuts. I guess I just underestimated how much she smokes and how much she spends on it until we started living together. My biggest problem with her habit is that it controls her life. It's her first priority among all things. She literally can't go more than about 3 hours without smoking it, or she's impossible to be around. It really sucks because if we go out or go to a place where she can't smoke, I am constantly telling friends and family "we gotta go" after a brief visit, so she can get high. This has resulted in me not taking her with me to almost any social engagement. Add to this the fact that she's hard to get out of the house now that we live together anyways.

I have no problem with weed. In fact, I used to smoke quite a bit of it when I was younger (we're both 30ish). My problem is her abusing the shit out of it, but claiming one can't abuse weed because it's "not a drug." If I bring up the fact that she has a big problem, it only results in her bring up the fact that I drink, and that alcohol is worse. I actually agree that alcohol is worse, but comparing the two evenings a week that I moderately drink to her being high 24/7 seems a bit ridiculous.

Is there any fix to this, or is it time for me to move on? I would be more optimistic about the situation if she actually considered marijuana a drug, but she is pretty adamant in her belief that weed is not only "medicine," but that it's also "good for you." I realize that she'll never quit, and that's OK. I merely want her to cut back. She claims that weed doesn't affect her motivation, as she runs a fairly successful small business, but all I see is wasted potential considering she only puts in about 20 hours a week into her business that has so much more potential. I have considered doing an intervention with some of our friends that have brought up the fact that she smokes WAY too much weed. Is this a bad idea? Is it a waste of time?

If she's not willing to acknowledge the problem or seek help, walk away.

It's not your job to fix her and there is no benefit to putting up with someone who is constantly drugged. You probably don't even know what kind of person she is without pot.

Begin prowling for new tang.
Guy code insists on going balls deep one last time prior to ending it.

lol a weed addiction? she sounds like an idiot

I'm looking to here from potheads or other people that have been in this very situation before.

Long story short, I've been dating this girl for about a year now. I knew going into the relationship that she smoked a ton of weed, but ever since we moved in together, it's been driving me nuts. I guess I just underestimated how much she smokes and how much she spends on it until we started living together. My biggest problem with her habit is that it controls her life. It's her first priority among all things. She literally can't go more than about 3 hours without smoking it, or she's impossible to be around. It really sucks because if we go out or go to a place where she can't smoke, I am constantly telling friends and family "we gotta go" after a brief visit, so she can get high. This has resulted in me not taking her with me to almost any social engagement. Add to this the fact that she's hard to get out of the house now that we live together anyways.

I have no problem with weed. In fact, I used to smoke quite a bit of it when I was younger (we're both 30ish). My problem is her abusing the shit out of it, but claiming one can't abuse weed because it's "not a drug." If I bring up the fact that she has a big problem, it only results in her bring up the fact that I drink, and that alcohol is worse. I actually agree that alcohol is worse, but comparing the two evenings a week that I moderately drink to her being high 24/7 seems a bit ridiculous.

Is there any fix to this, or is it time for me to move on? I would be more optimistic about the situation if she actually considered marijuana a drug, but she is pretty adamant in her belief that weed is not only "medicine," but that it's also "good for you." I realize that she'll never quit, and that's OK. I merely want her to cut back. She claims that weed doesn't affect her motivation, as she runs a fairly successful small business, but all I see is wasted potential considering she only puts in about 20 hours a week into her business that has so much more potential. I have considered doing an intervention with some of our friends that have brought up the fact that she smokes WAY too much weed. Is this a bad idea? Is it a waste of time?

You should try, with some of her friends, to talk about it one last time and then move on if there is no attempt to change if it's been bothering you/you've talked about it yourself for a while.

The fact that you called her your "current" girlfriend makes it sound like you already have a foot out the door.

You gotta stay with her, TS! If you break up with her, it could send her down a downward spiral and she could abuse the weed even more and OD on it!

DO YOU WANT THAT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE!?!

Last edited:
Things could be worse I guess. A lot of smokers I know, including me, start to slow down in their late 30’s early 40’s. This might be one of those “be careful what you wish for” moments. If you dump her, the next one could really wreck your life.

Give her some cocaine. That will cut down on her wanting to smoke weed.

You gotta stay with her, TS! If you break up with her, it could send her down a downward spiral and she could abuse the weed even more and OD on it!

DO YOU WANT THAT ON YOUR CONSCIOUS!?!

Conscience*

Marijuana is absolutely a drug. Drugs aren't all bad. She's abusing it though, and that has to cost an arm and a leg.

Obligatory “she needs to want to change.”

Maybe confront her one last time, make it clear this is a very serious issue. If she doesn’t make any effort after that, move on. Maybe someday she’ll realize this is a problem but it could take years.

B5-P4bhIQAEjrCp.jpg

Weed+not+even+once_fa18db_5473217.jpg

Nick-Nolte-Effects-of-Marijuana.jpg

I have nothing new to contribute.

Call the cops on her. and then report her to her probation officer until she gives it up.

If she's not willing to acknowledge the problem or seek help, walk away.

It's not your job to fix her and there is no benefit to putting up with someone who is constantly drugged. You probably don't even know what kind of person she is without pot.
She's a huge bitch when she's sober, but I'm not sure that's really here personality. I think it's just a result of her cravings. Sorta like a cigarette smoker that needs a smoke, or someone cutting weight that's Hungary or thirsty.

You could be right though. One of my best friends was a huge pothead for years. When he finally quit for a job, he was quite different. He was more talkative and he was way more motivated in regards to getting out and doing shit. The only downfall to his quitting weed was that he began going out to bars lot more, which resulted in a DUI not too long ago.

Join in , or move on...it's pretty simple, she ain't changing.

The only case where I will not condemn drug use is when it's consumer is doing it to open the doors of his subconsciousness for the sake of understanding himself more precisely. Most people lack introspective ability and drugs are known to have this effect on people.

Everything else is pure decadence.

Back