I broke ribs last night, anyone have insight on broken ribs?

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
I havnt got the X-ray yet, but i have at LEAST one broken rib, and i think maby 2.

290 lb wrestler landed with his shoulder on my ribs and it was unbearably excrutiating, and i couldnt breathe for a minute or 2.

Does anyone know how long i will be in the pain im in right now, i can barely get out of bed or drive a car. Anyone with exzpierence got any good news for me?

Sounds like they're bruised, not broken. If you have a broken rib or more, you'll consistently feel like your breathing is restricted and you won't be moving at ALL. That was my experience with it anyways. I broke a single rib in a fall, was laid up for 2 weeks, then 3 or 4 weeks of minimal activity. Unfortunately that was years ago, long before I started BJJ, so I can't guess how long till you're back on the mat.

Anyways, your doctor will tell you that you have to restrict your activity, since the only thing that is gonna help you and your injured ribs, whether bruised, cracked or broken, is recovery time.

Bust out the DVD's!

Sounds like they're bruised, not broken. If you have a broken rib or more, you'll consistently feel like your breathing is restricted and you won't be moving at ALL. That was my experience with it anyways. I broke a single rib in a fall, was laid up for 2 weeks, then 3 or 4 weeks of minimal activity. Unfortunately that was years ago, long before I started BJJ, so I can't guess how long till you're back on the mat.

Anyways, your doctor will tell you that you have to restrict your activity, since the only thing that is gonna help you and your injured ribs, whether bruised, cracked or broken, is recovery time.

Bust out the DVD's!

thx ive had had bruised ribs before, these would have to be broken--it hurts when i smile!!!

i have broken 3 ribs and the costal cartiliage and been out for 6 months!!!

there are a few types of rib injuries

1) the bruised muscles around the ribs... hurt a lot.. u think they broken... heals in a week!

2) broken ribs.... really hurts when u breath, cough, move etc takes 4-6 weeks to heal!

3) u injure the costal cartilage and be out for 1/2 a year... u cant do anything...

the 3rd one happened to me... i had to do months of rehab... came back and fought!!!!

what do u need to know!??

I broke my rib in two places about 6 months ago. I had trouble getting out of bed/all that other shit for like 2 months. It still bothers me slightly sometimes after hard training.

I havnt got the X-ray yet, but i have at LEAST one broken rib, and i think maby 2.

290 lb wrestler landed with his shoulder on my ribs and it was unbearably excrutiating, and i couldnt breathe for a minute or 2.

Does anyone know how long i will be in the pain im in right now, i can barely get out of bed or drive a car. Anyone with exzpierence got any good news for me?

Wow...Thats bad, hope you feel better. Just put some ice on it (over a towel or something so you won't get cold burns.) I strongly suggest you tog get your ribs xrayed though.

I just cracked two ribs back in April I think it was and I couldn't do hardly anything for two weeks. Was almost a full month before I could get back on the mat and even then they hurt like hell whenever anybody got me in side mount or mount. Now and then I'll still feel a bit of a twinge.

Rest up, keep putting heat on it, and the most important thing is to take your time and not rush to get back, otherwise if you come back to soon you'll just re-injure yourself and be out for longer this time around.

my insight is that rib injuries hurt a lot.

OH, and go to the doctor, b/c I have yet to meet any medical doctors on sherdog that give out free medical advice.

Here's some advice, go to a fucking doctor and not the internet.

I could not MOVE at all for 5-6 weeks without pain. Never mind sitting up, coughing, taking a shit, hell even laying in the hospital bed getting a blow job during visiting hours caused me unimaginable excruciating pain.

All in all Broken ribs can pretty much put you out of commission for all activities for up to a year depending on how bad the break is and what kind of cartilage damage there is.

I really could not even enjoy a blow job for about 2 full months. Pray to god you just have some very badly bruised ribs.

my insight is that rib injuries hurt a lot.

OH, and go to the doctor, b/c I have yet to meet any medical doctors on sherdog that give out free medical advice.

Daruckus is a med student, which is pretty close to a doctor I suppose.

Strangely we have a bunch of lawyers on this site but no doctors.

Happened to me many times. It's usually two weeks laid up, and 6-8 weeks before you can resume any normal activities, but even after this you'll probably still feel nagging pain, sometimes up to 4 months after the injury.

Stick to the couch for a while, keep rested. Watch your diet though - my first rib(s) break I couldn't move for nearly 4 weeks, and I packed on the lbs :)

Don't sneeze, cough, laugh, or breath hard, or flex your abs, or twist at the waist...or yell at any one, or... hey fuck it, broken ribs suck.

Minimum of a couple of months off without grappling of any kind. Maybe you can ride the stationary bike or WALK on the treadmill.

I tried rolling with a fractured rib for 7 months due to a misdiagnosis. Take the 6-8 weeks to just relax and heal.

Dude...

Unless you are a healthcare professional (such as myself) and you can confidentally self-diagnosis yourself...

Get your ass to a doctor or NP and get looked at. You may not actually have fractured ribs, or you could have even something worse. Go and get checked out!

Back