I believe that GSP retired because of leg injuries

he retired at the ripe old age of 32 because he had been awarded the gift of a century against hendricks and realized the next gen of ww's would maul him and ruin his legacy so he quit the sport and went out on top because fans didnt realize how basic and pedestrian his competition was during his reign.
Ice cold take dude

He was going to retire win or lose after Hendricks, you think it took him 1 minute from decision to octagon interview to decide "OKAY TIME TO RETIRE"

Keep being salty, the GOAT is still the GOAT

ImportantRingedArmyant-size_restricted.gif

Yeah, he bulked up from 190 to 195 and got Colitis. He won the lottery of bad luck lifetime gastrointestinal disease from gaining 5 pounds. Half the obese world is lucky they didn’t get GSP’s bad luck
You don't even know what colitis is. Nothing to do with "being fat"

You think IBS is only for fat people too?

Causes
The exact cause of ulcerative colitis remains unknown. Previously, diet and stress were suspected, but now doctors know that these factors may aggravate but don't cause ulcerative colitis.

One possible cause is an immune system malfunction. When your immune system tries to fight off an invading virus or bacterium, an abnormal immune response causes the immune system to attack the cells in the digestive tract, too.

Heredity also seems to play a role in that ulcerative colitis is more common in people who have family members with the disease. However, most people with ulcerative colitis don't have this family history.

Risk factors
Ulcerative colitis affects about the same number of women and men. Risk factors may include:

• Age. Ulcerative colitis usually begins before the age of 30. But, it can occur at any age, and some people may not develop the disease until after age 60.
  • Race or ethnicity. Although whites have the highest risk of the disease, it can occur in any race. If you're of Ashkenazi Jewish descent, your risk is even higher.
  • Family history. You're at higher risk if you have a close relative, such as a parent, sibling or child, with the disease.

And he even struggled with a washed up Bisping, he knows his best days are way behind him and thats why he didn't fought Romero, Whittaker or Woodley.

He is smart, I just hate the fact he had to weasel his way into the title fight and start making promises about defending the belt when everybody knew this was one and done.

He says he burned out, etc etc. But look at this clip at 11:42 on the lead up to the Bisping fight. Because of his torn ACLs in both knees, GSP is walking like an old man.

A champion has to be an active fighter. An active fighter has to defend his title 1-3 times per year. I don't think GSP is capable of fighting that often. I think he can scientifically plan out 1 camp to not aggravate his knees and then fight at 80% of his potential, which is still good enough to be a champion for 1 fight.

GSP is probably physically unable to fight 95% of the time and the Bisping fight was once in a blue moon where his body was feeling OK. I think he's in the position that Dominic Cruz is in.

Ok, yeah buddy, because most 40 year old athletes with bad leg problems can do stuff like this:

If by “leg injuries” you mean ran out of natural lw n one dimensional ww to beat up n was ducking better competition?

sure it was “leg injuries”

Bisping fought at light heavy and middleweight

Yeah, he bulked up from 190 to 195 and got Colitis. He won the lottery of bad luck lifetime gastrointestinal disease from gaining 5 pounds. Half the obese world is lucky they didn’t get GSP’s bad luck

He was probably also susceptible. But at least he gets to live rent free in your head.

It was colitis.

gsp is the ufc goat.

he would have caved Anderson’s face in with elbows if they ever fought.
Too bad his confidence was caved in when someone mentioned Anderson Silva around him.

Anyone that thinks multiple knee surgeries doesn't have a massive lasting effect on an athlete has simply never competed in any sport or never rehabbed a serious injury themselves.

like when people try to claim Shogun post 3 knee surgeries was still in his "prime" lol just fucking stupid

GSP was talking about stepping away for a WHILE, then got the absolute shit kicked out of him by Hendricks and that was the final nail in the coffin. Hendricks did beat GSP and GSP didn't give him a rematch, but to be fair GSP said he was stepping away before that fight happened..

Hendricks retired GSP
Buds. The more I Watch this fight the more I see it clean cut decision for gsp.

recognise gsp as the goat and you will be blessed of all your sins..

“I’d had a heavy night before and Georges was taking pleasure in [mocking me for my behavior]. So f**king what Georges. I’m 38 years old and I’m in Las Vegas. If you’re man enough to fight me anytime soon, I won’t be drinking. When I’m training for a fight I’m very, very dedicated but of course, I’m not training for a fight because I don’t know whether it’s because Georges needs to clear the steroids out of his system before he enters the USADA testing pool. I don’t know what the reason is but that is definitely a potentially valid reason because you’ve got to get tested for six months before you come back and he did his best to delay it so maybe that was why.”

Hendricks retired GSP
^this

GSP is the GOAT in my opinion, but his time was up. He knew that he was going to drop one soon, so he walked away. He only came back because he saw a favorable match up that he thought he could win. It probably should have backfired, but he pulled it off with a bit of luck and skill. GSP was never a risk taker despite being the best P4P fighter MMA has seen so far.

I think Jones will walk away after his next fight as well. We'll never see him at HW unfortunately.

After seeing some of the replies, Sherdog's collective IQ is pork rinds. My favorite is the revisionist history that GSP ducked Anderson. I'm sorry GSP is better looking, richer, and a better fighter than you all, but geesh, you don't have to hate the man for it.

He's had multiple significant injuries/ surgeries, physical ailments with colitis and he went up against a clearly bigger, prolly stronger guy with better cardio (at this stage of their careers), and who's actually a rough style matchup for him, and choked him unconscious. It's still crazy to me he won that fight and how he did it considering all the factors plus long layoff

Ok, yeah buddy, because most 40 year old athletes with bad leg problems can do stuff like this:

Ok... That's not 3 months of getting in shape, 3 months of training camp, and then fighting. That's where your body falls apart. GSP's body I feel like is rarely in a position to be able to do those things.

If you were really a fan of him like I was you understand he was never the same after the initial ACL tear. He came back to defend the title against Carlos.. His level of athleticism had clearly decreased. But his fight intellect and heart was as strong as ever.

Too bad his confidence was caved in when someone mentioned Anderson Silva around him.
Buds we all a know gsp is a better wrassler than sonnen and would have smashed Anderson’s skull in if he wanted.

tko round 4 imo.

Back