Hyper extended elbow

pakawot

White Belt
Reaction score
About four weeks ago i was training grappling and got caught in an armbar. problem was that both arms were trapped and by the time i thought to say "tap!" instead of tapping with my trapped arm, my elbow popped.

i immediately stopped training. i havent stepped on the mat since. i have full motion back however im not sure if it would hurt if i put some force on the joint. Ive tried pushing my elbow and it doesnt really hurt.

im thinking about starting in about two weeks. any thoughts? anyone ever get two arms trapped in an armbar? how long does it usually take to heal. it didnt swell so that is good.

thx/

are you confident you can bash your elbow into someone's face and feel no pain *due to the previous injury?* if you can fling your arm around 100% and it's all gravy, ham, n steak, then get you ass back out there.

all of the best chefs have burn themselves. all of the best fighters have taken injuries along the road.

i've been hit with the double armbar. i have long arms and one of the purples i roll with likes this move. i try to pass and his hips shoot up. so i'm defending armbars, avoiding triangles with both arms in then bam, double. best way to deal with it is not get into someone's guard but that's a different thread of its own.

My arm hurts from an armbar months ago, but I still train. I figure it's pretty much a permanent injury, because it will never have a chance ot heal with the training.

I got caught with an armbar in competition about 2 months ago, it still feels a bit sore, that's even with taking about a month and a half off, I'm hoping this isn't going to be a permanent injury.

Fight_Song said:
if you can fling your arm around 100% and it's all gravy, ham, n steak, then get you ass back out there.

The truth.

If you have taken time off and let it rest like you say you are smarter than most people who train. If you can move your arm freely and flail it around at will, then get back out there and train. Time is wasting, and only you can really tell when it is time to get back out there. If you feel that you need some more time, wait. If you are ready, get back to it. None of the guys on a computer chat forum from 5 to 5000 miles away can tell you how your body feels or when it is healed. Good luck and get better soon.

pakawot said:
About four weeks ago i was training grappling and got caught in an armbar. problem was that both arms were trapped and by the time i thought to say "tap!" instead of tapping with my trapped arm, my elbow popped.

i immediately stopped training. i havent stepped on the mat since. i have full motion back however im not sure if it would hurt if i put some force on the joint. Ive tried pushing my elbow and it doesnt really hurt.

im thinking about starting in about two weeks. any thoughts? anyone ever get two arms trapped in an armbar? how long does it usually take to heal. it didnt swell so that is good.

thx/

I had the exact same thing happen to me, almost exactly the same time frame....but i went back to training 2 weeks later....but just didn't go to sparring yet. If you're elbow doesn't hurt when you extend your arm all the way...then I'd say you're good to go.

i hyperextended mine in a football game and took about 1 week off, u can still train now but if u get caught in an armbar on that side just tap sooner before the guy pops hips into it.

When you first start rolling it would be wise to let your partner know that one arm isn't 100%. I know that I'd rather lose because I didn't go for something than reinjure your arm. It's just training so the goal is to get better, get in shape, and have fun. I never fuss when somebody tells me to leave a joint alone.

If you can fully extend your arm, and stretch it and nothing feels tight or hurt then go ahead and go back to the mat. Just be cautious with the arm, let your partners know your coming back from an arm injury and to take it easy if they get an armbar/kimura..

By letting them know you seriously lessen your chance of getting reinjured. A doctor told me it takes almost 6 months for a complete recovery from those kind of injuries. Reinjuring it before then can after permanent effects. It will teach you to train lighter and more technical Vs just forcing your way out of every submission.

Not to be a dick but you probably were hurt because of your own stubbornness. Happens all the time. White belts think they can get out of something and start failing around only to be caught in a worse position where it is to late to tap and cause the injury to them selves. I know, ive done it in the past.

So anyways, TAKE IT EASY! and get back on the mat..

Porter said:

lol. nope. im mostly a grappler. just started some mma. no tkd though. im going to give it a couple more weeks just to make sure so that i can come back 100% and not have that shit lingering.

I find it's really difficult to get people, especially white belts or egoists, to take it easy when grappling. When people start rolling, they get excited and forget their partner is injured.

Take it easy when you injure yourselves!

You should have tryed put ice on it and visit a doc or physiotherapy, you would be ok by now.

Back