Hunter Campbell and Jeff Novitzky are speaking regarding the UFC's partnership with USADA

https://x.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1712593661672702043?s=20
Thread by aaron bronster above, transcription below.
Campbell says that the UFC have sent a legal letter to USADA that will be issued to media soon.

BREAKING: The UFC will be partnering with Drug Free Sport International in the future.

- Campbell says that what USADA have done to Conor McGregor is disgusting and that they may be legally liable for it.
"USADA CEO Travis Tygart "lost his mind" on the phone call that they had on Monday after he was told that the UFC were going in a different direction."
"Testing will continue through the end of the year and that in the new year, they will launch a new program. The way USADA have treated McGregor is different from how they have treated any other athlete in the past."
"The UFC plans on having an anti-doping program that will be even better than what they had with USADA."

- Novitzky
"very happy with how the program has gone and that they have had less than a 1% positivity rate. He says that the UFC have learned that USADA is not the only player in the space and that they have the means to make the next program stronger and better."
"he will never be involved in a program that isn't the gold, and now platinum, standard.
"has dedicated his life to anti-doping, even at the risk of his family." (???)
"Calls USADA's narrative yesterday "garbage" and "trash" He says that it has done damage to the emphasis that the UFC have put on anti-doping.
"athlete experience under USADA has not been popular due to the burden that it has put on them. He says that the UFC's internal team has been hard at work to give the athletes better technology when it comes to whereabouts reporting." The UFC will be continuing the milestone recognition program.

- Novitzky cont'd:
"they will continue to have the most transparent anti-doping program in pro sports."
"Drug Free Sports International will be tasked with sample collection, as they have been for the NBA, NFL, NHL, WNBA, NASCAR and many other pro sports leagues."
"Drug Free Sports International is a perfect fit with the UFC because of how experienced they are with sample collection."
"Dr. Dan Eichner, who runs the SMRTL lab, which has the highest accreditation in anti-doping, will run the UFC's laboratory analysis and the science."
"Per Eichner's recommendation, they will have the best EPO testing, use a leeching device called TASSO+, which does not require needles and blood draws. They will increase blood testing using this new method."
"they will have the most comprehensive prohibited list. They will implement oral fluid testing to be stored long-term to compare in case using stimulants proves to be an issue."
"they will be using advanced growth hormone detection as well. They will continue to look at biological passports with additional enhancements. Calls it "smarter, more efficient, more effective technology and more convenient for the athletes"

- Campbell
counters what Tygart had told him about the UFC not having truly independent testing, says that this will add even more independence under this new program.
Campbell received a call from California State Athletic Commission Andy Foster after USADA issued their press release that he was happy that the UFC would no longer be working with USADA because they have been difficult for his commission to deal with.

- Novitzky
"the independent administrator running the UFC's next anti-doping program is George Piro." George Piro was a special agent in charge at the FBI's Miami Field Office, was the Team Leader of the Saddam Hussein Interrogation Team in 2004 (per Wikipedia). (WFG: What the fuck does this guy have to do with anti doping?)

"Piro will make EVERY decision in the program and that the authority will be his and his alone." "he will be surrounded by many expects, including the aforementioned Dr. Eichner."
"despite the "garbage narrative" that USADA put out, that the proof will be in the pudding that the UFC's new anti-doping program will be superior to the one with USADA."
"USADA's press release has confused the fighters and managers and that it is counter-intuitive to their claims that they are looking out for the athletes."

- Campbell
"USADA's response to the McGregor situation has proven that they run like a dictatorship. He says that they have tried to impose their will on the UFC and that McGregor, as an independent contractor, isn't the type of athlete that they are used to dealing with."
"assured Tygart 'that McGregor wasn't fighting in December after McGregor proclaimed that he was.'"

Campbell says that there was NEVER going to be an exception made for McGregor where he wouldn't be in the program for six months prior to competing."

"believes that USADA have used McGregor as a vehicle to advance a false narrative and calls it "incredibly unethical".
believes "the press release that USADA sent yesterday was rooted in "ego and fear"
when he spoke to Tygart on Monday, he was extremely calm, "while Tygart became unhinged. Calls Tygart an individual who's "dealing with a lot of sh*t"
"Dana White always demands the best when it comes to all aspects of the UFC and that was top of mind when they went to develop the best possible anti-doping program going forward."

"We [The UFC] put up millions dollars for USADA to enhance the anti-doping technology.

- Novitzky
"We [The UFC] haven't seen "jack sh*t" when it comes to technological advances. They spent $1.8 million to make things easier on the athletes and nothing was done."

- Campbell
"doesn't know where USADA will go from here when it comes to professional sports and it is clear why so many sports leagues have gone with Drug Free Sport International."

Campbell urges media to reach out to the athletic commissions to ask about their experiences with USADA.

[Campbell] "sat through hearings that he felt were unethical."
"Piro will serve as the adjudicating body for the athletes. Drug Free Sport will send the samples to the SMRTL lab, results will go to Piro after they are analyzed and the athlete will explain and it will go to an arbitration program (MacLaren is mentioned)."
"thanked Tygart for the partnership and offered to work with them on a communication plan to show their appreciation for their work together, but that he couldn't get a word in because Tygart was so angry."

- Novitzky
"Piro will not be waking up athletes in the middle of the night before they are going to be competing and that collectors will not be getting samples prior to going to weigh-ins or other times that will impact their upcoming bouts."
"retired athletes or athletes that leave the pool will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. There is a different between a good faith and bad faith retirement."
"there was a lot of resistance from USADA when it came to USADA over-policing tainted supplements and no-fault findings."
"USADA is now using no-fault findings to promote themselves even though the UFC were the ones who pushed for them."
"[The UFC] will now have the ability to beta test drug testing innovations that will be more friendly to the fighters.

- Novitzky
"understands why USADA has to be cautious given that they are under the WADA umbrella, but that it has blurred the lines from some UFC athletes who have seen sanctions from other sports and how it could impact them in the same situations."
"The Olympic sport model does not fit a professional sports model in many cases."
[on Jon Jones] "they are still looking for an answer on the M3 metabolite issue. He says that the UFC has a different athlete who has had M3 metabolite come and go for six year with no evidence of re-administration." (WFG: Who was this different athlete?)

Dr. Eichner told Novitzky that if someone has been exposed to the M3 metabolite from a tainted supplement, that trace amounts could pop up for the rest of their lives. Novitzky says that there's no real answer at this time as to why.
(WFG: It is known that using steroids for a short amount of time can benefit you for up to ten years. As to that being an excuse for Jones "pulsing", I am not an endocrinologist, but I would lean more towards Jones taking a designer dna crafted chimera roid specific to his body that was slightly too strong or his cycle timing was off).

- Campbell says that a clomiphene study was done to see how levels will change over a period of time and that the general opinion was that it had a half-life of a specific period of time. He says that a subsequent study showed that years later, those same subjects tested positive.
(WFG: Roid for a short time, get a decade long boost, as mentioned. They try to spin it as a sign of innocence for Jon, trying to cope that he only roided once, but I just see it as advancements in testing being able to spot smaller and smaller amounts of PEDs left in the blood.)

Thank you for the transcript!!

What is wrong with juicing tho? We have so many nostalgia sports fans due to juicing in the past made athletes seem larger than life. Now we have D+ lvl athletes not on the juice and a lot of them suck
Either everyone does it or nobody does it - If Connie McNuggets cant ever fight again without steriods im cool with that.

It's gotta be an even playing field. Let em all juice, or no juice for anybody.
Either everyone does it or nobody does it - If Connie McNuggets cant ever fight again without steriods im cool with that.
Juice for all!
200w.gif

I am curious aswell. I tried to search for what USADA said that was so bad, but it just seems like USADA didn't want to play ball with a 6 month exemption that would cost UFC millions.

yea that’s where I ended up too

Only thing I agree with what those two integrity-free stooges are saying is that USADA treated Connor differently than other athletes in the past. Specifically Brock Lesnar. Where was this energy from USADA when he fought at UFC 200? He was able to bypass the 6 month window.

But that's minor. USADA is shady too, but UFC going the same route as the NFL and the rest and calling it legitimate is comdedic.

Last edited:
Only thing I agree with what those two integrity-free stooges are saying is that USADA treated Connor differently than other athletes in the past. Specifically Brock Lesnar. Where was this energy from USADA when he fought at UFC 200? He was able to bypass the 6 month window.

But that's minor. USADA is shady too, but UFC going the same route as the NFL and the rest and calling it legitimate is comdedic.
Maybe they played ball with the UFC and Lesnar, and look at all the backlash they got, not to mention the lawsuits from Mark Hunt. I don't blame USADA for not wanting to soil their reputation anymore.

“You done switched from Nikes to Reebok, Ha”

Voluntary USADA was never going to work when the paying party was asking for exceptions and USADA was willing to compromise. One exception will always lead to another and eventually I think they decided to draw the line to try and keep whatever integrity they had left intact.

I think a lot of people called it with McGregor. The UFC wanted Conor to headline the December card but it's pretty obvious he couldn't pass a piss test until recently.

This was never going to work.

Honestly... it doesn't matter what sport, some are going to try and get the advantage at all costs.

My opinion... being clean in the cage , on the field or court etc... You know during the game. Is what it all comes down to...
I think that's a lazy and gross oversimplification on both points. Throwing up your hands in defeat because of the inevitability of cheaters isn't being intelligent or mature or anything. You still put the most amount of pressure you can, even if some people still can clear all your hurdles.

And biology is too complicated to draw a line between performance enhancing only being applicable as substances are still inside you. The point of random testing was because cheaters' bodies still reap the benefits of their enhancements after it's out of their system.

The ONLY real answer to stopping cheating is to try hard and constantly to. There are no halfway measures. And if that's too much for the athletes, then frankly, sporting is not for them. For what it's worth, the athletes have been far too either uncaring, negligible, or at worst, complicit in this cheating culture. Where are the camps kicking cheaters out? Coaches naming and shaming? You can't foster cheating environments and get mad that cheating interventions are so harsh

I'll help you out!

This isn't related to 'the other big leagues.' The UFC has personally hired a retired FBI field agent from Miami to be the arbiter of the program. Jeff likes to say here "he'll be independent," for whatever you think that is worth.

This is not the person in charge of PEDS testing in the NFL and other leagues. Read this part twice because its the key to understanding it - the program is run by a single guy they picked to hire. That is who gets to say who gets tested, when, what happens with the results, so on.

"Free sport" is just their collection vendor. Thats it.

Let me know if that makes sense now.

I could see how someone could misinterpret this post and think the poster was being a smart ass. However this post gave me the best understanding and broke it down to simple terms the best ive seen so far. Great post.

I'm kinda glad you said all that, because the lack of "there, their, they're" understanding explains everything I needed explained.

Have a nice day, lil buddy.

It is rude to call out people for bad grammar on sherdog. We have posters from all over the world who speak a variety of different languages.

I am not perfect , I have done it before myself for posts being unreadable but a lot of times it's a language barrier.

As far as the argument goes I don't think you guys are really that far off. You both make good points. I don't think its a good look to go from olympic drug testing to NFL drug testing. However the other sports leagues use this doping policy so its unfair for people to just blame the UFC imo.

Back