huerta/guilliard-sparring (boxing)

Jay from the IFL looked better when he sparred with Bryd. Guillard has decend handspeed though.

Very amateurish. Huerta keeps leaning his head back instead of blocking and technique is lacking. But these fighters are very well rounded in MMA

I scored it 10-9 for Melvin.

Huerta looks pretty bad, but his striking isn't that polished in MMA either, he's more of a swarmer. Guillard has good hands for MMA. Guy needs a ground-game desperately.

Huerta looks pretty bad, but his striking isn't that polished in MMA either, he's more of a swarmer. Guillard has good hands for MMA. Guy needs a ground-game desperately.

yeah huerta just pushes the pace and presses the issue; his boxing is much like his mma striking in general undisciplined, but productive due to the rate of work he gets in and cus he continues to press the issue and doesn't seem to get scared when he catches a hard one.

melvin is a bit better than i thought, but gets by on that athleticism and handspeed; he fights in spots, landing those big shots, lead shots...not really using the jab or setting up shots or putting them together effectively.

neither one is polished by any means; i mean there are a ton of holes in their games, but since it was to fairly eff strikers in mma most competitive div sparring in a boxing environment i thought the forum would like to put their two cents in

Jay from the IFL looked better when he sparred with Bryd. Guillard has decend handspeed though.

byrd was a faded and b not trying to do anything except def, had he even attempted to be offensive he would have ate hierons lunch

huerta doesnt have any hands, he got outstruck by guida of all guys

and after watching it, i dont think either of them do haha

They were taking way too many shots. But Guillard has great handspeed.

huerta doesnt have any hands, he got outstruck by guida of all guys

and after watching it, i dont think either of them do haha

huerta's striking has always been undiciplined to me, i can't be shocked his boxing is the same; he basically showed he has a chin and that he like to press w/out being dissuaded, at least not against a guy who won't put shots together.

that being said melvin is the better boxer, but he only fights in spots; if he would consistently sticck his jab instead of potshotting, jumping in w/hooks or lead shots huerta never would have got to him. But a)his offense is consistent enough and b) he likes to admire his work when he does it; an that let huerta get to him'

neither is anyone's idea of even a journeyman fighters, even though some in the standup forum now consider melvin to have great boxing...

like i said i just thought it would be interesting to see two of the more effective mma strikers in a boxing environment

was pretty bad. Huerta kept walking forward without putting a guard up and would take clean shots. It wasnt so much that guilliard is good and/or has fast hands so much as it was huerta being sloppy and stupid.

Good vid, Roger did look unimpressive though. Melvin just had better angles, hand speed, etc. I would love to see a couple more rounds though.

peace

was pretty bad. Huerta kept walking forward without putting a guard up and would take clean shots. It wasnt so much that guilliard is good and/or has fast hands so much as it was huerta being sloppy and stupid.

Easy to look good when punching someone with no defence!

they were going pretty hard for a sparring session lol

Huerta is a bull, and far from a matador. He got hit way to much in that session
As everyone has said, not great boxers, very good MMAers though. You dont need amazing technical striking to get by in MMA.

Guillard looked pretty good, if he utilized some more defense savy techniques, and a more disciplined jab, he could be a decent Boxer.

Huerta just has no defense.

Back