Rewatch How you should look at stoppages, in graphic form.

Poatan Power

Matt Serra & Sean Sherk's 5'9" Nephew
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Or, a simpler version based just on time (assuming damage/intelligent defense criteria is met)

This is how I look at MMA stoppages.

If you

a.) Meet the minimum rule requirement of damage being inflicted / fighter no longer intelligently defending themselves, and
b.) gave the fighter the appropriate time to recover/react to the situation, if capable
then
c.) You are in the "fight can stop now zone."

If you wait too long, you risk the Mario Yamasaki zone. If you jump too early, a seemingly helpless fighter may be jumping around the cage doing backflips after you just claimed he was down and out.

If you jump in immediately after the minimum thresholds are met, while the stoppage may be justifiable, many will perceive it too early. If you're still in the "stoppage was correct zone" but wait a for the fighter to recover and they incur some additional damage for some additional time, many will perceive it as a "late stoppage."

The key is getting it in that sweet spot as often as possible, which I lovingly call the "Just Bleed" zone for damage, and "sweet spot" for timing of the stoppage.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It depends on the fighter as well. Any fighter who's complained about an early stoppage needs a trip to the Yamasaki zone for his next few fights.

The rules say the ref should stop the fight when a fighter is not "intelligently defending."

So really, according to the letter of the law, the ref should stop a fight when one fighter is no longer capable of covering up.

If the fighter wants out of the fight before that, he should tap out or verbally submit. Or their corner should throw in the towel.

The rules say the ref should stop the fight when a fighter is not "intelligently defending."

So really, according to the letter of the law, the ref should stop a fight when one fighter is no longer capable of covering up.

If the fighter wants out of the fight before that, he should tap out or verbally submit. Or their corner should throw in the towel.

Right. So he has to incur damage to render him incapable of intelligently defending, and if he does not recover then the fight has entered the zone where it's okay to end a fight.

Otherwise every knockdown would be a fight ender. They have to be given an opportunity to defend if applicable (which is time). I think this can be anywhere from 0.1 seconds (one punch/kick KO) to 3-5 seconds (Jiri v. Alex) depending on the circumstances at hand.

But my real point of it all is...

Minimum MOMENT for justifiable stop | -people perceive it early here- SWEET SPOT FOR STOPPAGE -people perceive it late here-| late stoppage, dude died

Damage is a part of it and all that, but really the timeline is important. If you fall outside the sweet spot, it isn't a "bad" stoppage, really just suboptimal, but justifiable.

This is how I look at MMA stoppages.

If you

a.) Meet the minimum rule requirement of damage being inflicted / fighter no longer intelligently defending themselves, and
b.) gave the fighter the appropriate time to recover/react to the situation, if capable
then
c.) You are in the "fight can stop now zone."

If you wait too long, you risk the Mario Yamasaki zone. If you jump too early, a seemingly helpless fighter may be jumping around the cage doing backflips after you just claimed he was down and out.

If you jump in immediately after the minimum thresholds are met, while the stoppage may be justifiable, many will perceive it too early. If you're still in the "stoppage was correct zone" but wait a for the fighter to recover and they incur some additional damage for some additional time, many will perceive it as a "late stoppage."

The key is getting it in that sweet spot as often as possible, which I lovingly call the "Just Bleed" zone for damage, and "sweet spot" for timing of the stoppage.

Thoughts?

Anything short of this is early stoppage

28iumw4.gif

giphy.gif

This kid's got boxes of Pepe

Here, a simpler form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back