How would you rank these fighters in order - Jose Aldo, Khabib, Izzy, DC, Mighty Mouse, Alexander Volkanovski?

Accomplishment wise, I’d put Khabib toward the bottom but I think he was the best of that lot. I can’t justify putting him higher as is. I’m probably all over the place with my picks because i’m using a combo of “eye test” and what they actually accomplished. All great fighters.

Mighty Mouse
Volk
Aldo
DC
Khabib
Izzy

Last edited:
MM (pure talent and good everywhere, had long successful career. MM may well be the perfect MMA fighter)

Volk (very dominant, for a long time. 3 losses in his last 4 fights, but in a division that isn't gentle at all historically with old timers)

DC (2 divisions champ, tough as nails. Got even fatter lately and he loves to eat, we're the same!)

Aldo (what can we add? He's a legend. Would have loved to see a McGregor rematch before he retired)

Khabib (probably would be higher, but he retired prematurely, while he still had many fights left in him)

Izzy (Great fighter, but not as dominant lately. 2-2 in his last 4 fights and got schooled by Strickland. He's annoying, but he will be missed when he retires. As a hater, I hope he'll win his next fight. His division needs him)

Last edited:
Agreed,he was a more dominant force and will be remembered longer than any of the others.
He ran roughshod the last couple years but retired smack dab in his prime. For that reason alone his placement in these discussions will always be polarizing. His level of dominance was incredible to watch, but part of greatness is also doing it routinely over time with everyone gunning for you. He is of course welcome to retire whenever he sees fit, but it often makes for a frustrating conversation on here.

He ran roughshod the last couple years but retired smack dab in his prime. For that reason alone his placement in these discussions will always be polarizing. His level of dominance was incredible to watch, but part of greatness is also doing it routinely over time with everyone gunning for you. He is of course welcome to retire whenever he sees fit, but it often makes for a frustrating conversation on here.
I get that.

The thing is, there is no "GOAT" and if people want to rank someone or everyone on the list higher than Khabib, I dont care. It's only opinion after all.

My thing is, people always denigrate other's careers to hold up their own favorites.

When discussing people from different eras and weightclasses, its really just "who do you like better?" not "who is actually better" cos there's no way to prove that.

Like, what do you consider an accomplishment?

khabib
DC
Volk
Jose Aldo
MM
Izzy

Khabib: went undefeated in a super deep division, and participated in the most watched UFC fight of all times, imo most exciting and satisfying fued too. Now his understudy - as im sure they're both into using thetre terms - is of his same mold nd seems to be as dominant.

DC: was the first modern era double champ in heavier weight classes(whilst also being older) ANd excelled in amateur wrestling. the UFC rewarded his company man, work-for-my-paycheck sttitude with a nice gig.

Volk: I dont know right off hand if volk had more FW title defenses, but his first Islam fight and success at it ranks him above Aldo regardless. Plus he is unarguably a bigger draw and star than Aldo. Plus being closer to the current era == more challenge

Aldo: i personally like Aldo a bit more thsn volk and believe - without looking at wiki - he had more defenses, but it seems like the era where that run took place was still in it's infancy. Just being the pioneer isn't a greater accomplishment than being the best to ever do it

MM: people say he's p4p the most skilled MMA fighter ever... but if you're 125 lbs it's just not that impressive to me. What if you found a 5th grader who could beat every other 5th grader in wrestling, ammy boxing, and won every IBJJF yellow belt worlds match, would you crown him the best p4p FIGHTER of all time? his historic run of title defenses, though, make him... not last.

izzy: i wont even try to hide my disdain for this guy. All the non fight attributes associated with him seem fake. Second best middle weight ever, nowhere ner Anderson IMO. But he's rating's draw apparently so that accomplishment should fair higher than MM cleaning out the almost embarrassingly small men's division.

I get that.

The thing is, there is no "GOAT" and if people want to rank someone or everyone on the list higher than Khabib, I dont care. It's only opinion after all.

My thing is, people always denigrate other's careers to hold up their own favorites.

When discussing people from different eras and weightclasses, its really just "who do you like better?" not "who is actually better" cos there's no way to prove that.
It’s a conversation that usually brings out our worst haha. I appreciate TS for selecting a compelling group of names outside of the usual Fedor/Jones/GSP/Silva discussion.

Like, what do you consider an accomplishment?

khabib
DC
Volk
Jose Aldo
MM
Izzy

Khabib: went undefeated in a super deep division, and participated in the most watched UFC fight of all times, imo most exciting and satisfying fued too. Now his understudy - as im sure they're both into using thetre terms - is of his same mold nd seems to be as dominant.

DC: was the first modern era double champ in heavier weight classes(whilst also being older) ANd excelled in amateur wrestling. the UFC rewarded his company man, work-for-my-paycheck sttitude with a nice gig.

Volk: I dont know right off hand if volk had more FW title defenses, but his first Islam fight and success at it ranks him above Aldo regardless. Plus he is unarguably a bigger draw and star than Aldo. Plus being closer to the current era == more challenge

Aldo: i personally like Aldo a bit more thsn volk and believe - without looking at wiki - he had more defenses, but it seems like the era where that run took place was still in it's infancy. Just being the pioneer isn't a greater accomplishment than being the best to ever do it

MM: people say he's p4p the most skilled MMA fighter ever... but if you're 125 lbs it's just not that impressive to me. What if you found a 5th grader who could beat every other 5th grader in wrestling, ammy boxing, and won every IBJJF yellow belt worlds match, would you crown him the best p4p FIGHTER of all time? his historic run of title defenses, though, make him... not last.

izzy: i wont even try to hide my disdain for this guy. All the non fight attributes associated with him seem fake. Second best middle weight ever, nowhere ner Anderson IMO. But he's rating's draw apparently so that accomplishment should fair higher than MM cleaning out the almost embarrassingly small men's division.
i mean like fighting accomplishments and achievements. So things like being a huge draw shouldn't factor in this list. My bad should have been more clear in the thread.

Back