How would you escape this ?

FELLA

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
2cwki7n.gif

Considering he is a Black Belt he didn't even attempt to escape the triangle ...

Surely there must be some escapes you can 'attempt' from this position even if it is in tight. He must have studied Diaz and knew his triangle was his strength, why not train to escape it :icon_conf

2cwki7n.gif

Considering he is a Black Belt he didn't even attempt to escape the triangle ...

Surely there must be some escapes you can 'attempt' from this position even if it is in tight. He must have studied Diaz and knew his triangle was his strength, why not train to escape it :icon_conf

There are many factors that are involved. For one, the triangle was already in fairly deep and his posture was fully destroyed. Going along with this, Nate Diaz has long ass legs which make it even harder to escape.

Also after completing that slam, the immediate conditions of his muscles were probably a little tired. Also your last statement made is retarded.

With a single leg, a black belt like Pellegrino really should have been aware of and prepared for a triangle once things hit the mat. It is a counter that happens ALL the time, and it was simply a mental mistake that Nate took full advantage of. The way to avoid it 1) keep your head higher on the opponents chest during the takedown, and 2) foregoing a little slam action to recover your posture as soon as things hit the mat - you are in better position than your falling opponent, and should be able to get your head up and both arms out (or in) faster than he can slap on a triangle.

Stack .. Free hand knuckles to the chin to the floor rotate . that was his only option from his posture at teh point it was locked in

There are a ton of ways to escape a triangle. In this case, I think there was a lot of room to get his posture back in the first, 3 seconds or so. For the first little bit, Diaz was going for a guillotine. The second he felt diaz's legs in that scissor position around the neck and shoulder he should've shot forward with his hips, and up with his shoulder as violently as he could to regain some posture.

Also, if he managed to plant an arm, he could twist out of it.

Neither of these things are anything that Kurt Pellegrino wouldnt know, so why he didn't at least TRY to do them is just beyond me.

Why he went into Nate's guard from side control is beyond me too.

Why he went into Nate's guard from side control is beyond me too.

Why the hell did he do that anyway? I thought that it was the strangest thing I have ever seen, considering the level of both of these guys. I was shocked that Nate Diaz won after seeing Pelligrino own his ass the first two rounds.

LOL at people saying Kurt should have tried to escape... I'm sure if he had the energy he would have put in a viable attempt. The fight was fairly fast paced, high altitude, and then all of a sudden he's stuck in a very deep tight choke. Maybe he got caught when he was breathing out, couldn't get a breath back, altitude definitely could affect his cardio, etc...

Bottom line is, given the circumstances he probably couldn't get out.

LOL at people saying Kurt should have tried to escape... I'm sure if he had the energy he would have put in a viable attempt. The fight was fairly fast paced, high altitude, and then all of a sudden he's stuck in a very deep tight choke. Maybe he got caught when he was breathing out, couldn't get a breath back, altitude definitely could affect his cardio, etc...

definitely agreed, you can sit here and play the keyboard coach warrior all you want, but the fact was that he was put into a submission and he did get out, in fact I would get out the same way that Kurt got out in that situation. I would tap and shake the man's hand.

The fact that he didn't even try is why I'm kind of confused. You're in an infinite loss/gain situation ala pascal's gambit, so why not give 'er?

The guy was exhuasted.. thats what stopped him from escaping..

He had plenty opportunity.. just the situation at hand.

Kurt felt he had his elbow out enough to block the triangle (and he was in no danger of a omoplata from that angle) so he didnt think he was in a lot of danger so he rested at the wrong time.

Terrible mental mistake from Kurt....happens to all of us!

I agree that we shouldn't be talking about why he failed to escape a tight triangle put on by a very talented brown belt 8 minutes into a match at high altitude, but the triangle did NOT come on "all of a sudden." Getting triangled off of sloppy singles happens pretty often. It's something that Pellegrino should have seen coming and postured out of before the triangle got secured (or he could have just kept his head higher and preventing nate from getting his leg on his shoulder). It's his takedown, and he had the time and control to get both arms in or out, but simply did not. Fatigue or no fatigue, he made a big mental mistake and gave away a fight he was winning.

2cwki7n.gif

diaz is ju8st very good at triangles. he tried pulling his arm out when they were on the ground but by then it was way too late. he made a huge mistake by letting nate get his leg to the outside, and a massive one by picking him up like that. that is what cost him the match.

I agree that we shouldn't be talking about why he failed to escape a tight triangle put on by a very talented brown belt 8 minutes into a match at high altitude, but the triangle did NOT come on "all of a sudden." Getting triangled off of sloppy singles happens pretty often. It's something that Pellegrino should have seen coming and postured out of before the triangle got secured. It's his takedown, and he had the time to get both arms in or out, but simply did not. Fatigue or no fatigue, he made a big mental mistake and gave away a fight he was winning.

I can agree with this 100%

It looks like Nate set up the triangle before he hit the mat. He pushes his right foot to the outside and makes space for his right knee when his left foot is on the ground.

Kurt begins the lift and Nate shows a guillotine. Kurt releases his grip, I gather, to transition for a double or to free his right arm, but by that time it's already too late. Nate had swung his left leg high and wide trapping Kurt's right arm. Nate maintains the guillotine to break Kurt's posture and then grabs his head to hold him down as he secures the triangle. Look at Kurt's spine being tilted and the angle Nate had on him. Nate did a great job of keeping him off balance through the whole process. Could he have escaped? Maybe. Nate showed smooth transitions between not so advantageous positions. Pretty awesome fight.

the bigger question is why did Pellegrino pick Diaz up by wrapping his arm around the thigh?
Diaz did a great job of sinking it in, but Pellegrino set hisself up with that slam from a single leg.

the bigger question is why did Pellegrino pick Diaz up by wrapping his arm around the thigh?
Diaz did a great job of sinking it in, but Pellegrino set hisself up with that slam from a single leg.

batman likes to pass with the arm under and knee over, I've seen him pass this way before, but this time couldn't seem to get position before Nate setup. a combination of cardio and laziness imo.

Back