How would you define a technical brawler?

I know but I'm still not a fan of it. Never been a fan of him as a fighter when he entered the UFC even with his knockouts.

Just because I dont like his style doesn't mean I don't respect him. I do. I just don't like his style of fighting from back then even to now. Just not something I find entertaining.

Yeah, but the thread title is about defining a technical brawler. It says nothing about whether you like a certain fighter or not. I could care less who you like or don't like. I especially don't like it when people just proclaim their dislike of someone when it wasn't even asked.

Yeah, but the thread title is about defining a technical brawler. It says nothing about whether you like a certain fighter or not. I could care less who you like or don't like. I especially don't like it when people just proclaim their dislike of someone when it wasn't even asked.
Feel free to ignore my comment then. Or comment on it. IDC.

Stands and trades in the pocket? Check

Beats brawlers at their own game? Check

Wins by being a technical brawler? Check Check.

Some of y’all are forgetting the ‘technical’ part of technical brawler.

diaz_daley2vsjn.gif

diaz-daley.gif

db061894866c7fad69b65d616cdb6574.gif

tB9Uzwg.gif

1.gif

NegligibleOpenAfricanpiedkingfisher-max-1mb.gif

I think fans go crazy over knockouts and stuff but I dont particularly find knockouts exciting in its own right. Ngannou I don't find too exciting because he isn't a technical striker. He's a big dude with knockout power.

Guys like that get exposed in mma sooner than later

The fact that Ngannou is able to get by on his power alone doesn't mean he has bad skills. His boxing technique is actually very sound (probably only second to Stipe's in the HW division).

Also LOL at him getting "exposed", the guy's resume easily puts him as one of the greatest HWs of all time already, you sound as if you are talking about Greg Hardy or smtg.

Fighters who aren't textbook in their approach to striking, but still utilize high level techniques, such as feints, effective head movement, employ good set ups etc. Technical brawlers must also be effective, so straight brawlers like Leben and Abbot are out of my list.

Examples:
  • Robbie Lawler
  • Big Frank
  • Vicente Luque
  • Old Gaethje
  • Current Cody Garbrandt
  • Korean Zombie
  • Jeremy Stephens (at times)
  • Tony Ferguson
  • Paulo Costa
  • Jared Cannonier
  • This one is going to be controversial, but I stand by it: Dominick Cruz
Early Tyson

Roberto Duran
You're tainting the memory of the hinorable Mr. Harrow with your insufferable hipstering.

Personaly i would define it as a guy who likes to trow heavy leather from close distances and doesn't uses a lot of jabs, but is calculated at the power shots he trowns and tries to defend weel against his oponents attacks ( especially by shelling himself ) justin gaethje ( the version we have now ) is the best example of a technical brawler in my opinion. And you? What are some technical brawlers in the ufc and how do you define it?
Shogun. Or the Diaz brothers. Current Gaethge might be an example but he's so much more calculated now and trying to get away from the brawling he was so famous for.

Cub Swanson is a good one though, as was Robbie Lawler and JDS.

Really it's basically the technical strikers who can be baited into a brawl because of that "he hit me now I need to get him back" mentality.

Cody Garbrandt being another one.

The fact that Ngannou is able to get by on his power alone doesn't mean he has bad skills. His boxing technique is actually very sound (probably only second to Stipe's in the HW division).

Also LOL at him getting "exposed", the guy's resume easily puts him as one of the greatest HWs of all time already, you sound as if you are talking about Greg Hardy or smtg.
Ngannous resume puts him as a GOAT HW? Context matters. He lost to Stipe, beat an old Arlovski, deflated Overeem and Cain in his retirement fight coming back from a three year layoff.

I'm not saying that Ngannou wouldn't be dangerous in any era, but his resume isn't there yet.

I think fans go crazy over knockouts and stuff but I dont particularly find knockouts exciting in its own right. Ngannou I don't find too exciting because he isn't a technical striker. He's a big dude with knockout power.

I don't hate, just state. In boxing I prefer the same thing although I always give Wilder a pass but generally I like sound technical boxing with display of high fight IQ without the uneeded carnage added on to it
You a fan of Juan Estrada? Pleasure to watch imo. Too bad his power doesn't carry up.

Fighters who aren't textbook in their approach to striking, but still utilize high level techniques, such as feints, effective head movement, employ good set ups etc. Technical brawlers must also be effective, so straight brawlers like Leben and Abbot are out of my list.

Examples:
  • Robbie Lawler
  • Big Frank
  • Vicente Luque
  • Old Gaethje
  • Current Cody Garbrandt
  • Korean Zombie
  • Jeremy Stephens (at times)
  • Tony Ferguson
  • Paulo Costa
  • Jared Cannonier
  • This one is going to be controversial, but I stand by it: Dominick Cruz

You're tainting the memory of the hinorable Mr. Harrow with your insufferable hipstering.
The Dominick one made me think and well I'm not 100% sure I can get behind it I can see what you're saying. Dominick is extremely technical but when he gets hit he does have a habit of throwing caution to the wind in an effort to get one back, he's just rarely been put in that position which is where you may get some push back.

On that note Aldo, especially since losing his belt, is also a good example.

I don't hate, just state. In boxing I prefer the same thing although I always give Wilder a pass but generally I like sound technical boxing with display of high fight IQ without the uneeded carnage added on to it

my dad always used to say that type of shit

Ngannous resume puts him as a GOAT HW? Context matters. He lost to Stipe, beat an old Arlovski, deflated Overeem and Cain in his retirement fight coming back from a three year layoff.

I'm not saying that Ngannou wouldn't be dangerous in any era, but his resume isn't there yet.

I never said he was "the" GOAT, I said one of the greats, and I stand by that.

Deflated or not, he beat former champions and legends (JDS, Cain, Overeem, Arlovski) as well as tough contenders in their prime (Rozeinstrujik, Blaydes X2).

That's objectively a better resume than any HW I can think of (way better than Cormier, for an example, only considering HW records), except the consensus HW goats Stipe and Fedor.

Last edited:
The Dominick one made me think and well I'm not 100% sure I can get behind it I can see what you're saying. Dominick is extremely technical but when he gets hit he does have a habit of throwing caution to the wind in an effort to get one back, he's just rarely been put in that position which is where you may get some push back.

On that note Aldo, especially since losing his belt, is also a good example.
There's also the fact that he doesn't throw technically sound punches and his footwork isn't textbook, but it is effective. I can see why people are apprehensive to go all in on that one though, the man is one of the better minds in MMA. You must have some kind of technical mastery to break down that many styles.

There's also the fact that he doesn't throw technically sound punches and his footwork isn't textbook, but it is effective. I can see why people are apprehensive to go all in on that one though, the man is one of the better minds in MMA. You must have some kind of technical mastery to break down that many styles.
Yeah dude, I was saying for years somebody would do what Cody did to him because of his footwork and his habit of bending at the waist and rolling under with shots the way he did.

Everyone always seemed to get confused and try to follow him resulting in him landing that pushing right hand of his instead of just standing there ground and cutting him off. I honestly couldn't believe he got away with it as long as he did.

I was hoping it would have been Aldo though when that fight was being discussed years ago. Aldo would have kneed his head into the first row the first time he did that duck under roll at the waist thing.

I don't feel like I'm describing that very well but hopefully you know the technique I'm talking about cause he did it constantly.

Robert Whittaker for sure. Throws a lot of haymakers and looping punches and is wild as hell, but that dude really creates weird angles with both his hands and feet that he really gets people with. Plus has a very intelligent approach to the game. The Till fight really showed that craftiness, that he can win chess matches too. I really can't put a label on his striking style, it's like half karate/half bar brawler.

The. Black. Beast. People were saying how this guy would lose to Tank Abbot at the beginning.

and why not he got KTFO by Mitrione and Jordan

Back