How would Rockhold vs. prime Anderson go?

I can't bet against a prime spider.

Rockhold is a fucking monster. No way that Anderson would have his way with him. Rockhold would finish what Chael couldn't do.

I don't see it. Chael was just taking Anderson down at will in the first fight with his power double. Rockhold doesn't shoot for doubles. He doesn't shoot at all really. He likes to stand with his opponents and he usually gains top dominant grappling positions via reversals or after hurting his opponents with strikes.

That's a good point, but I still think he gets him down if he wants and he keeps him there. He's to big and strong, even for a prime roided Andy.

I feel your overall point, but I still think 2010 GSP reigns over 2016 WW division.

Remember that the dude left with a win (less than 2.5 years ago) and the people who've been fighting for the title were plenty active during his reign.

UFC's WW division has been left with a power vacuum that has made the division more exciting, but I don't see why Robbie, Rory, Johny, or Carlos beat GSP

Nope....the game is evolving like crazy and past great performances seem great because the competition was so much less. If Lutter took down and brutalized a Prime Silva, imagine what Luke, Jacare, Kennedy, Weidman, Romero would do. Anderson may be the best stand up MW of all time but as an MMA fighter, he gets smoked by the new breed.

It's like how we used to think Big Nog had invincible, the best in the world type BJJ and gets subbed by Mir and Werdum. The game, in all aspects is evolving and guys like Prime GSP, Prime BJ, Prime Chuck would all be destroyed by the current champs or other elite fighters in their division. Nostalgia is strong in all sports but MMA is just so young, and as a result the talent pool was slimer and now we are starting to not only see more people do it (thus widening talent pool) but we are seeing skills evolve, mindsets evolve, training evolve, etc etc. BJJ was answer to everything, then wrestle boxing became answer for BJJ, then Muay Thai BJJ became answer for Wrestle boxing and now well rounded MMA game with movement based cerebral type kick boxing is the thing.

A powerhouse grappler with solid stand up and great BJJ was always the answer to the Anderson question. It wasn't Franklin, Forrest Griffin or pure BJJ guys that couldn't take the fight to the ground (Leites or Maia).....the best win Andy had was Hendo and Hendo has always been hot/cold and forgot how to use his wrestling. Sonnen laid the blue print but had crap BJJ and had propensity to be mentally weak. Even super well rounded guys like Moose simply can't compete at the highest levels with the game evolving so quickly and this new breed of super athlete coming into MMA.

Not fully certain, but I think if it stays standing Silva would probably land some accurate shots on Luke's chin. I would favor Silva on the feet, but definitely Rockhold on the ground. Silva was good at keeping it upright, but Luke is pretty formidable in getting it there.

My money is on prime Silva. Dude was untouchable.

Honestly i could be blinded by nostalgia here but i think prime anderson toys with rockhold

I genuinly dont think weidman or rockhold could even beat wand in his prime or rampage for that matter
probably this. I feel rockhold has the power to damage silva but he wouldn't even be able to touch prime silva.

I'd give the edge to Silva if he keeps it standing. Rockhold has a lot of wasted movement in his footwork. On the ground Silva would get smashed by Rockhold's ridiculous top control.
It wouldn't stay on the feet I don't think. Silva gets finished in the 1st or 2nd. People have to face facts Silva is done. Had a great career but it's over.

Would the fight include current drug testing? If yes, then Rockhold beats the fuck out of Anderson. If no, then it's 50/50.

It all depends if Luke could get it to the ground or not before getting koed. I'm guessing he could, and from there it would be all over. Silva had an iron chin back then but Rockhold's ground game is deadly.

I'd take Rockhold but I think it would be close.

Like Sonnen 1 but more brutally on the mat, and no hail mary finish, is my guess

Rockhold is just a better all round fighter. Anderson has a decent chance while its standing as he was probably the most devestating striker I've seen compete in MMA, but that being said, I just don't think he'd land enough before it hit the mat and ended there. People cite Vitor, but that was an anomoly IMO - Luke's first fight against a raging TRT monster in Brazil on debut after a significant layoff... it couldn't get any worse of a debut

Personally, Machida/Rockhold or Weidman/Rockhold is an indicator of what Anderson would be in if it hit the mat - it would just depend on it getting there, and I think it would. Luke has taken everyone he wanted to down so far in every fight.

Anderson has never beaten an opponent as good as Weidman, or possibly even Machida was when Rockhold beat them

The Henderson Silva fought beats Weidman handily. We saw what Belfort did to Luke.

That is correct. They are not even on the same level you're comparing a once in a lifetime fighter to a current champion who has won some and lost some.
Won some and lost some? Anderson lost more fights by the time he entered the UFC than Rockhold has lost in his career.

Prime Anderson plays jump rope with Rockhold's intestines.

If they decide to stand, than Silva wins. If Rockhold uses Sonnen's gameplan, he would win by sub or TKO.

Silva via R4/5 TKO/KO/SUB
Anything Silva would win.

It depends if Rockhold is able to utilize his grappling effectively. Rockhold is a strong dude and has good and powerful kicks but his defense leaves much to be desired and a lot of his punches are looping.

2006-2012 silva I would feel safe betting the house on Silva...

Back