How world class grapplers train BJJ

GuardGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Any of you ever wonder how world class BJJ fighter like Roger Gracie, Ronoldo "Jacare" Souza, Marcelo Garcia, Xande Ribeiro...etc train BJJ? I know they dont train like any of us...I was thinking they had a whole week focused on one thing...for example: A week on guard sweeps, passes, guard subs, then another week on escapes and counters to submissions.

I know they probably get in a good 20-30 hours of BJJ in a week (my educated guess, but not sure).

How many hours do they get in a week?
How do they train?

I would appreciate some answers from people who might happen to know these people..or any answer would be fine..Thanks

Put a ? in your title. You got me excited thinking there was actual information in here.

Actually I do think they train just like everyone else. They work to tighten up their strengths and improve upon their weaknesses, when they need help they turn to their instructors.

i agree i think they train like everyone else. But i also believe that some are doing much more like training with weights lot's of cardio etc. For example i heard that "terere" is using Olympic Weight-lifting techniques for improving his explosiveness and strenght.

Roger trains with the gi the majority of the time. Before ADCC he started training without it about 2 months before the event. He does classes just like everybody else. The only difference is this class' participants are Renzo, Roger, all the Gracies around and a bunch of purples, browns, and black belts who are all ADCC caliber grapplers. The intensity level is also higher. A student of Renzo who was an Olympic freestyle wrestler instructs portions of the class on wrestling. Renzo, Jamal and Roger (scheduled to participate in ADCC) then went all out for 30-40 minutes nonstop with fresh partners coming in every 5 mins to keep pushing the pace. A good way to train for tournaments. This happened during the 2 month stretch twice a day.

I wonder if it is hard for guys that good to find sparring partners. One would have to think that, because they are so good, their sparring partners would have to actually be work for them.

Watching Art Sauve Vol. 1, something struck me. They visisted academies all over Rio and had black belts show the drills they like to do. It was all the usual stuff. Xandre showed how he works on hip movement by (suprise!) shrimping in place and shrimping with a partner. Leka does the matador pass back and forth with a partner and basic triangles from the guard over and over again. It's pretty much the same for Marcelo Garcia, Roger, Andre, Jacare, etc. They don't do some secret routine. But they do it with a lot more dedication, pay more attention to detail, put in tons of reps, etc.

Back