How world class BJJ'ers crosstrain?

GuardGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
How do world class BJJ fighters like Roger Gracie, Kyra :), Jacare and Leo Viera crosstrain to learn takedowns? Has Roger always trained BJJ and just picked up wrestling techniques and Judo techniques? WHat about Jacare and Kyra? Have they always trained takedowns, wrestled in HS, wrestled on the side, or Judo on the side? Did they take wrestling or Judo classes along with their busy BJJ schedule??? Answers would be appreciated :) Thanks

Jacare first learned Judo before BJJ (There's an article about him on graciemag.com). I don't know about the others.

Most pure BJJ guys from Brazil studied Judo first, and I am sure that they study wrestling as well.

Saulo Ribeiro was a black belt in Judo before he did BJJ.

Wolverine
///

There you have it people.

Judo + BJJ = Awesome combination.

Well, im 16 and a blue belt in BJJ and theres a Judo Black Belt who trains with us quite often, hes been helpin me with my takedowns and such, but id like to take some Judo or wrestling classes also, but i dont wanna come out for my HS wrestling team, cuz then right after school i would go to wrestling practice for a solid and hard 3 hours, then an hour to do homework, then go to BJJ for a good 3 hours, then get up and do it all over again the next day, id be exhausted! So, i go to BJJ Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and the occasional Thursday...So i was thinking, i could do Judo Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday...Plus, theres a Judo school right next door to the BJJ school...

GuardGame said:
Well, im 16 and a blue belt in BJJ and theres a Judo Black Belt who trains with us quite often, hes been helpin me with my takedowns and such, but id like to take some Judo or wrestling classes also, but i dont wanna come out for my HS wrestling team, cuz then right after school i would go to wrestling practice for a solid and hard 3 hours, then an hour to do homework, then go to BJJ for a good 3 hours, then get up and do it all over again the next day, id be exhausted! So, i go to BJJ Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and the occasional Thursday...So i was thinking, i could do Judo Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday...Plus, theres a Judo school right next door to the BJJ school...
if you can push your self to do it all without getting hurt.. DO IT.. you wont regret it down the road.

I used to train Judo in highschool and started bjj when i was 20.
Only did judo for about 8 months before injurys took over my life.
Its going to be very tough on your body best idea is like they say "leave ego at the door" but i mean it. If you go in and dont care a bit about losing you will have one of the most open and dominate games by the time your 21..

I say do the wrestling while you're in high school. BJJ will always be there when you get out, however, wrestling training is difficult to come by when out of high school or college.

renzo, kyra, roger and jamal patterson were all training wrestling (with a wrestling coach, not by themselves) at the academy before adcc. i dont know about their prior experience tho.

According to one of the gracie sites out there, Rickson was a national champ in freestyle wrestling.

yeah but thats Rickson...SO, anyways, i asked my mom about takin Judo along side BJJ and she said that it will prolly happen after January...IM SO EXCITED!! My guard game is really good because im always the one being takin down by the judo and wrestling guys...so in result of that, im a guard puller...i just need Judo so i can do good in tournaments and have a good top game...thanks guys :)

yeah but thats Rickson
Whats that got to do with the price of rice in china?
Trust me its not BJJ that made hime that good in freestyle wrestling. What I was alluding to is that he surely trained in wrestling and did so most likely quite often.
You should do the same.

Ya, but i have no time to wrestle after school for 3 hours. I'd rather cross train at different days, BJJ: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Judo: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday :) Works better for me. Plus, the bulk of the tournaments im gonna be doing are gonna be with the gi..If i learn Judo, learning wrestling will not be a problem by the time im 21, which is in 5 years......But, i will train SOME wrestling on the weekends with my friends who are on the Temecula Valley High School wrestling team, which is the team that places in the top 10 every year...and they said they'd help me out also...

GuardGame said:
How do world class BJJ fighters like Roger Gracie, Kyra :), Jacare and Leo Viera crosstrain to learn takedowns? Has Roger always trained BJJ and just picked up wrestling techniques and Judo techniques? WHat about Jacare and Kyra? Have they always trained takedowns, wrestled in HS, wrestled on the side, or Judo on the side? Did they take wrestling or Judo classes along with their busy BJJ schedule??? Answers would be appreciated :) Thanks

Rorions kids Ryron, Rener and the other one all took wrestling in high school. i read it in some interview. Ryron took like 2nd or 3rd in state. they were pretty good at it

If i learn Judo, learning wrestling will not be a problem by the time im 21
Ah grasshoppa thats where you are wrong.
take a poll of guys that WISHED they had wrestled in HS when it was there for them and FREE!

Once you graduate judo and bjj will be there(for a price) but the chance to wrestle will have long passed you by.

GuardGame said:

If i learn Judo, learning wrestling will not be a problem by the time im 21...

To which Knoxpk replied:

Ah grasshoppa thats where you are wrong.
take a poll of guys that WISHED they had wrestled in HS when it was there for them and FREE!

Once you graduate judo and bjj will be there(for a price) but the chance to wrestle will have long passed you by.

Yeah, absolutely. Look, if I could go back in time I'd do it this way:

Wrestle in highschool.

Then Judo, BJJ, or Sambo. And mostly focusing just on one style of these three, but supplementing with the others.

Knoxpk is 100% correct.You will have a very though time stepping into wrestling after highschool, if at all.
Wrestling will provide you with a very high intensity training program for free. You'll compete a lot, learn matwork, takedowns, positioning that can't be beat, etc...

*Bubble Boy suddenly smacks GuardGame between the eyes with a palm, "devil out" style*

Snap out of it! Wrestle first! Then the rest...

I don't think that wrestling is 100% necessary if you just want to be a good grappler. It is a way to go however.

If you like gi grappling, I'd say stick with it, but you may want to try all of them out.

I also think you will learn wrestling much faster after you've done judo and bjj.

imo judo takes much longer to learn.

there are benefits on being on a HS wrestling team, like having a group of friends and training partners, good for college apps, lots of girls after you, etc.

GuardGame said:
Ya, but i have no time to wrestle after school for 3 hours. I'd rather cross train at different days, BJJ: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Judo: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday :) Works better for me. Plus, the bulk of the tournaments im gonna be doing are gonna be with the gi..If i learn Judo, learning wrestling will not be a problem by the time im 21, which is in 5 years......But, i will train SOME wrestling on the weekends with my friends who are on the Temecula Valley High School wrestling team, which is the team that places in the top 10 every year...and they said they'd help me out also...

The people who post here can be broken down into two categories: those that wrestled in high school, and those who wish they had. For those of us who haven't, there isn't anything we can do about it. If you are anything like the majority of the posters on this site, chances are you will be kicking yourself in ten years for pissing away the opportunity to get quality training, competitive experience, and superior conditioning for free. There's plenty of time to pay for training in the offseason. I know a number of very talented judoka who put their judo careers on the backburner to take advantage of high school and university wrestling, and it only helped them in the long run. There's nothing wrong with judo or bjj, but if you are 16, chances are you aren't paying for it, and bjj isn't cheap. At 16, it is unlikely you will be pushed to compete and train as hard at a martial arts club as you would be on a high school team.

You can learn wrestling anytime, but your opportunities to learn and compete for free are slipping away with every passing year. Any bjj or judo you learn before you are 18 is just gravy, but the chances to wrestle competitively are fairly limited after 18. Do what you like, but no matter how you feel about it, you are pissing away a great opportunity.

lol, making a new thread about the same questions.

chances are you aren't THAT important to the kids class, makes you feel good to teach them, yet you're only holding yourself back. somebody else can take over the class for 3 months while you better yourself in your grappling game. but why ask the same question in a new thread? the majority of the responses have agreed with my initial response, and there's a reason for it... cuz it's the right way to go. seriously, just stop bjj for 3 months, you won't forget shit and people will cover the kids class for you during that time. all the names you throw out there, you're pretending to put yourself in the same catagory when you're not. every single one of them have dedicated their life to this art, you may think you have, but you haven't. you probably htink you're special that you're a 16yr old blue belt, there are dozens of them.

now go train judo and bjj then learn to wrestle in 20 yrs and make a post on here saying "golly i wish i had wrestled."

Back