How will Jose deal with Conor's reach and his high volume kicking?

mademan081

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Based on fight styles I think Conor will bring some interesting challenges to Aldo. The last time Jose fought someone with Conor's height and reach was Kenny Florian. He's been fighting short boxers and average kickboxers with similar range to his and very standard tempo. I'm interested to see how he will combat Conor's continuos kicks and straight lefts which will come outside of Jose's striking range. He attempted some straight blast against Florian to close the distance but even Florian was able to avoid them by back pedaling. And I think Jose's lean back counter right hand will be way out of range on Conor. Thoughts on how Aldo approaches this match?

I can't wait, If Conor brings his usual pressure style then Aldo could get a finish.. Or Conor could get a finish

UChrelx.gif

3NcprLX.gif

Easy leg kicks.

Connors right leg will be in better position for Aldos kicks to land harder on the inner tigh.

Aldo will mush those legs up nicely.

Based on fight styles I think Conor will bring some interesting challenges to Aldo. The last time Jose fought someone with Conor's height and reach was Kenny Florian. He's been fighting short boxers and average kickboxers with similar range to his and very standard tempo. I'm interested to see how he will combat Conor's continuos kicks and straight lefts which will come outside of Jose's striking range. He attempted some straight blast against Florian to close the distance but even Florian was able to avoid them by back pedaling. And I think Jose's lean back counter right hand will be way out of range on Conor. Thoughts on how Aldo approaches this match?

Wrong question....

How will Mcgregor deal with Aldo's speed, strength, and championship experience?

As many think Aldo could use kicking gameplan but I see Aldo actually closing the distance when Conor gets off balance by throwing some funky kicks, getting a lock on Conor and actually wrestling like he did against KZ.

He was doing it in KZ fight because of broken foot but I really think if he times it right he can get Conor down and then it will be interesting to see if Aldo goes aggressive on the ground or just for position to grind Conor. On the ground Aldo could end up taking his back very fast a la Barao vs Pickett style.

Many, probably including Conor, expect striking battle but grappling based gameplan from Aldo could surprise maybe even Conor and get him in lot of trouble.

Aldo can get him to give up reach if McGregor comes forward, which is likely. He can also step inside with punches off of kicks ala Jon Jones vs Lyoto Machida round one. He can definitely slip the straight left which is the punch you need to look out for. He's also not going to be troubled by pathetic set-upless wheel kicks, he's just going to back out of range. Bear in mind that you're talking about the best fighter in MMA and the best striker and MMA fighter McGregor is ever likely to face throughout the entirety of his career, not just some guy.

Same way he dealt with Hominick and Jung, I'd imagine. He'll impose his gameplan and win the fight.

Aldo will be just fine. He needs to tighten his defense to what it was in the beginning of his UFC reign - he's been hit too many times recently - and he'll need to kick the shit out of McGregor's legs. If he does that, he wins.

As many think Aldo could use kicking gameplan but I see Aldo actually closing the distance when Conor gets off balance by throwing some funky kicks, getting a lock on Conor and actually wrestling like he did against KZ.

He was doing it in KZ fight because of broken foot but I really think if he times it right he can get Conor down and then it will be interesting to see if Aldo goes aggressive on the ground or just for position to grind Conor. On the ground Aldo could end up taking his back very fast a la Barao vs Pickett style.

Many, probably including Conor, expect striking battle but grappling based gameplan from Aldo could surprise maybe even Conor and get him in lot of trouble.

I was actually thinking about this too, but I honestly see Aldo beating Conor at his own game (striking). I wish he'd mix it up and do something like how you explain but honestly I think it's gonna be like his other fights.. He's gonna batter Conor's leg and coast to a UD.

dem Urijah Faber leg kicks
Problem is he's not going to work those rear kicks as easily against a southpaw with an inward stance like Conor's. He just hasn't really shown left kicks, which are what you really want to have. Remember that Aldo ran out of ideas pretty quick and stopped landing the kicks when Faber started going southpaw in the later rounds. It's probably going to be hands, takedowns and top game that win Aldo this fight.
Aldo will be just fine. He needs to tighten his defense to what it was in the beginning of his UFC reign - he's been hit too many times recently - and he'll need to kick the shit out of McGregor's legs. If he does that, he wins.
Strength of competition. He barely got hit with anything consequential in the Lamas or Edgar fights. His defense is better than it's ever been. The fact that he was dropped by UFC 179 Super Mendes, says FAR more about UFC 179 Super Mendes, than it does Aldo.

Am I the only one who has a hard time gauging Aldo at all due to how infrequently he fights? As dominant as he has been, it's hard to get a read on how he fights, or would fight against Conor, since we basically have only seen him once a year for the past few years. I think this fight could go a lot like Penn Edgar 1 or 2. A quick contender using movement to get in and out and cause damage to a dominant champ and possibly pull off an upset victory. But then again, with all the time Aldo has had off, he could return as a completely different fighter than the one Conor is expecting, leading to a dominating title defense.

Better reflexes, speed, a jab on the inside because Conor will be coming forward, trying to press the action. Conor will push forward with that lead leg and eat a lot of kicks too, probably falling over if Aldo lands flush on his lead leg. Atop of that, Aldo can definitely employ a takedown based approach and that might make Conor a bit less confident in his ability to press the action too.

There are so many ways that Aldo can effect his game. Conor has yet to fight anyone with the striking ability or diversity of approach that Jose can offer.

The fact that he was dropped by UFC 179 Super Mendes, says FAR more about UFC 179 Super Mendes, than it does Aldo.

It's a shame most people refuse to see it this way. It's the very obvious truth, Mendes has become a beast.

Am I the only one who has a hard time gauging Aldo at all due to how infrequently he fights? As dominant as he has been, it's hard to get a read on how he fights, or would fight against Conor, since we basically have only seen him once a year for the past few years. I think this fight could go a lot like Penn Edgar 1 or 2. A quick contender using movement to get in and out and cause damage to a dominant champ and possibly pull off an upset victory. But then again, with all the time Aldo has had off, he could return as a completely different fighter than the one Conor is expecting, leading to a dominating title defense.
I don't buy that because unlike Cain, Aldo has actually beat a diverse range of opponents throughout his title reign.

Edgar/Penn 1 was a bad bad robbery btw, edgar was outboxed then "won" the fight. Jabs must be scored, not lots of aimless moving around that achieves nothing.

Conor fights NOTHING like that anyway.

It's a shame most people refuse to see it this way. It's the very obvious truth, Mendes has become a beast.

Yeah I think he beats anyone in FW outside of Aldo and maybe Edgar.

Dude looked about as good as you can against Aldo.

I don't buy that because unlike Cain, Aldo has actually beat a diverse range of opponents throughout his title reign.

Edgar/Penn 1 was a bad bad robbery btw, edgar was outboxed then won the fight. Jabs must be scored.

You're posting truth tonight. Props, sir. This place is devoid of rational thought lately.

We have yet to see the best of McGregor. Nobody has tested him. He won't fight Aldo the Sam way he's fought everyone else. He's liquid.

The worst thing for a orthodox fighter with keg kicks is a southpaw. Every leg kick will be answered by a straight right. Cormier said it best, Conor is the worst possible match up for Aldo.

Back