How will Floyd Mayweather be viewed in 40-50 years?

boozeco2005

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Obviously his career isn't over yet but hopefully he doesn't try to hang on too long like some athletes do. I would imagine Ali was a very polarizing figure when he was in his prime just like Mayweather is now, you either love him or hate him but either way you watch. Ali was known for his trash talk, in ring showboating, and the "rope a dope". Floyd is known for his extravagant lifestyle, his arrogance, and his "shoulder roll". Ali is now looked at as one of the greatest boxers of all time, if not the greatest. I don't think Floyd can reach GOAT status but he may be able to get really close, it all depends on how he uses these next couple of years. So, how will you describe him to your kids or grandkids, or young boxing fans asking about him. I would describe him the most intelligent, naturally gifted boxer that I have personally ever seen fight. How about you? How do you think he will be viewed and how would you describe him?

Best defensive fighter of the modern era, though he'll be knocked a little for avoiding some of his best challengers until they were past their primes. I think he'll also be remembered as a guy who knew how to make the system work for him financially, which is something a lot of great champions never figured out.

I think I'd talk most about his intelligent, aesthetically pleasing boxing style. His extravagant lifestyle would be an afterthought for me to talk about.

"He was the last big name/draw in a dying sport...and he still ducked Manny"

He'll go down as the highest earner of his era, one of the most scientific boxers of his generation, and one of the best welters of all time. Beyond that it's all opinion, but the above is fact. Also, he'll be remembered for his polarizing personality, his introads in promotion, and his aura of untouchability due to his ridiculous defense.

He is a douche, but he's a professional. He's a narcissist, but his skills, brain, and athletecism would have him elite in any era in any weight class he chose to campaign. H2H he could possibly beat any welter in history. Staggering talent, that dude.

Its all going to depend on how Floyd finishes up his career. It doesnt matter if he's absolutely impressive right now if he drops a fight or two before he hangs it up. That kind of thing will give fans fuel to discredit him for the remainder of his days.

Look at how Roy Jones Jr. is routinely disrespected now. Never mind the fact he dominated for years and actually moved up in weight to capture belts. As soon as his ass hit the canvas and it was lights out his legacy was tarnished in the eyes of many. Not mine, but it is what it is.

Great athlete, fantastic defensive boxer, and as a fighter one of the best self promoters ever

People will think the athletes of that time are far superior to him.. and only know two names on his entire record...

wrongfully so...but that's how it is now with him..and that's how it will be in the future with the next draw.

One of the greatest of all time, his name is already up there. But i don't think most people will call him the greatest. He needed to fight Pac in his prime for that, or some sort of fight where its a real battle for him. Not because Pac would beat him, but because people considered that to be a very real challenge for him at the time.

An all time great, sadly I doubt 40 years from now people will remember any fighter in this era.
The only recognizable fighter in Floyd's record would be De lahoya for casual fan.

Back