How to train every single aspect of MMA

Grappler20016

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First of all I looked around and I found no place to really post this so I do it here... If there is a better place for this question please move it..

I want to know from you guys that train MMA how do you guys get the time and more importantly the energy to train in muay thai, boxing, wrestling, bjj and have S&C training.

How do you guys break this up? I know everybody is different but how would pro (or amateur) MMA fighters break down all these skills?

It is different if you have an athletic base from power lifting and running, and lots of skill because of your love for the arts, as well as sparring and rolling.

Running and weight lifting are usually at a different time of day from class. 90% of martial arts is at a low intensity - drills, shadow boxing or working on single techniques and partner drills, and learning grappling moves.

Like 10% is hard: rounds of standup grappling or sparring rounds with shots that can damage the body.

Imagine a three hour training day:

30 minute run, 30 minute weight lifting or fitness training, 9 hour break, 2.5 hours partner drills and technique, 8 rounds rolling or sparring. Of those 8 rounds, half should be light, minimum. Hard impact once a week is enough.

Edit: I'm not a fighter or trainer, and hopefully someone who is posts something better. My point is mostly that professionals spend WAY more of their time at low levels of output, improving their skills and targeting their fitness goals.

The gyms where common people train aren't really cut out for this. Most BJJ and Kick Boxing classes are half workout and little technique, little critique. It is hard to run and lift heavy while hitting group classes 6 days a week, because they can be so exhausting physically and so damaging to the body - from hard sparring and countless push-ups.

If you don't have a great trainer you can trust to guide you, then you basically just want to spend as much time out of class mastering striking technique on the bag and on the mirror, get private grappling lessons or open mat time where you can ask questions, and prioritize getting into great shape through losing fat or power lifting or both. If all that means less group classes, so be it.

Last edited:
It's much easier if you already have a decent strength base. (And preferably a year or two of either grappling or striking)

As an amateur fighter who has no job or responsibilities this is my schedule

M: Morning - 2 hr MMA
Night - 1hr taekwondo, 1hr cardio/mitt boxing

T: Morning - 1hr Kickboxing/MT
Night - 1.5hrs nogi bjj, 1hr half hearted kickboxing

W: Morning - 2 hrs MMA
Night - Rest

TH: Morning - 1hr kickboxing/MT
Night - 1hr nogi bjj, 1 hr boxing and kickboxing sparring

F: Complete Rest
Sat: 3 hours MMA
Sun: 2 hours MMA

I'm a big believer that training your skills is the best way to get cardio as an amateur. And that heavy strength training while training MMA hard will indefinitely make you stiff and injured. Lift in the off season...

As a beginner I found that doing grappling, boxing, and kickboxing all consecutively really helped with the basics. I didn't do any MMA and I trained them all at night. M-TH. And then you can rest or lift once on the weekends.

That might work for you if you don't have the time.

Back