How To Tie a Thai Cup?

CHawkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just bought a steel Thai cup and I'm trying to figure out how to tie these goofy ropes it comes with. For starters, the ends were already unraveling when I got it, so I dipped the last 1/4" of each rope in liquid rubber, so that's no longer a problem.

Anyway. I'm trying to figure out how to tie this thing on in such a way that:

A. The straps don't come loose during training
B. I can untie it after training

I managed to tie it so that it's easy to get on and off, but the downside is that it comes loose while I train.

I managed to tie it so that it stayed solid during training, but then I almost ended up having to cut the ropes off!

I'm tempted to buy some velcro strips and stick them onto the straps, but I'm not sure the adhesive will be strong enough. What's the trick, people? :D

I'm not sure either, but I'm curious how it's done. Only one string on the bottom? Doesn't that cut your nutsack in two, or squish it to one side?

I'll stick with plastic, elastic and velcro, thank you.

No, the scrotum is completely inside the cup. The bottom strap ends up going between the butt-cheeks. It's tolerable if you wear the cup on top of your underwear. It's just a matter of finding the right way to tie it.

CHawkins said:
No, the scrotum is completely inside the cup. The bottom strap ends up going between the butt-cheeks.

Only on Sherdog does scrotum and butt cheeks become a regular discussion! :D

Read the posts from myself and Superbeast on this thread from a few days ago. We do a different method where you don't even use the strings. I don't much care for rope in my ass.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288823

Yeah, Brandinho's method might be the best way to go here, otherwise you're supposed to wear it like a g-string. Silly Asians. Wait, I'm part Asian...

King Kabuki said:
otherwise you're supposed to wear it like a g-string

This is Sherdog, I am sure there are quite a few that prefer this method!

OK, Brandinho...so you're saying that the best way to tie a Thai cup is to...not.

That's cool with me. I'll see if I can find an appropriate athletic supporter without the cup pouch. I don't have any compression shorts (trust me, NOBODY wants to see my body in compression shorts!), but I'll check into that too, I can rock the whole setup under my workout shorts.

I have one of those MMA-style groin protectors that is designed just like an athletic supporter with cup, but I don't like it. That deep banana cup feel like it impedes my movement too much. I like the Thai cup much better because it is more localized and doesn't get in my way.

CHawkins said:
OK, Brandinho...so you're saying that the best way to tie a Thai cup is to...not.

That's cool with me. I'll see if I can find an appropriate athletic supporter without the cup pouch. I don't have any compression shorts (trust me, NOBODY wants to see my body in compression shorts!), but I'll check into that too, I can rock the whole setup under my workout shorts.

I have one of those MMA-style groin protectors that is designed just like an athletic supporter with cup, but I don't like it. That deep banana cup feel like it impedes my movement too much. I like the Thai cup much better because it is more localized and doesn't get in my way.

Shit dude. Were we talking about wearing one for MMA or stand up? Because I just assumed there would be some thai shorts or grappling shorts over them. Fuck, in that case do what Superbeast recommended and reverse them. Athletic supporter then cup then shorts over them. And I just reread your post. I know it seems like a lot to wear, but you wont notice the athletic supporter at all. In this day and age, don't be surprised if some of your teammates do want to see you in compression shorts.

I was talking about wearing one for MMA training. I'll definitely throw some shorts over the cup!

Will compression shorts really hold a cup in place by themselves? That's pretty cool. I would think that the cup would walk up toward your belly or down toward your butt.

My only previous experience with groin protectors has been with boxing-style protectors, which are easy to deal with because they're huge; if they shift a little bit, no big deal. But these smaller ones...different story! If they shift a little bit, you're getting your pills smashed when someone passes your guard. :D Pain in my ass, I tell you.

CHawkins said:
I was talking about wearing one for MMA training. I'll definitely throw some shorts over the cup!

Will compression shorts really hold a cup in place by themselves? That's pretty cool. I would think that the cup would walk up toward your belly or down toward your butt.

My only previous experience with groin protectors has been with boxing-style protectors, which are easy to deal with because they're huge; if they shift a little bit, no big deal. But these smaller ones...different story! If they shift a little bit, you're getting your pills smashed when someone passes your guard. :D Pain in my ass, I tell you.

It may take a little tweaking at first but mine stay in place.

Brandinho said:
It may take a little tweaking at first but mine stay in place.
OK, that's really good news. I'll ditch the ropes and let you know how I make out. But right now, I have to finish some work and get to bed (the life of the self-employed is never an easy one when it comes to getting enough sleep).

Thanks!

I was able to put my muay thai cup into the athletic supporter I got from Century. This has been, by far, the best cup set-up I've ever used. Lots of protection and way more comfortable than the plastic ones.

Keven
www.warrior-one.com

Back